Grado Fan Club!
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #51,841 of 65,995
To be honest back in 2006 I got a new RS-1 that I was pretty disappointed in. Not so much defects or scratches, but the wood looked very rough and unfinished, and in general it seemed like they were put together sloppily. Like a "Friday 5:00 PM" Grado. Probably the ugliest RS-1 I've seen. I also had a vintage "pink driver" RS-1 that was absolutely gorgeous.

That is indeed too much sloppiness on your set, imo. It should be B stock.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #51,842 of 65,995
Hi Guys,

I got my new RS1e.
I found many scratches/imperfected parts as the attached pics.
  • scratches on yoke and metal mesh
  • fracture on wood
  • some stain on leather
  • pen marker on the york
I have asked Grado about these issues have been solves on RS1X or X series.
So, they replied me "we cannot guarantee that any of our products will meet your high expectations".
Seriously?????

Has anyone else experience the scratches/defects on the new X series?

This episode is abominable. It feels like they must have farmed-out their "support" to some clowns in a far away land who don't care about anything.

"Handmade in Brooklyn" sets high expectations for anybody. What you showed in these pics is inexcusable and it's 10X worse that they answered you like that. I hope you get it resolved.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #51,843 of 65,995
I don't like how every Grado box is now sealed. In the past, at least for the high-end models, the boxes were intentionally not sealed so that the dealer could open them in front of you and you could inspect the headphone before accepting the purchase. Then again, it seems Prach got it mailed, though in that case the dealer could still open up the box and show pictures. Oh well.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #51,844 of 65,995
You shouldn't have to deal with that on a new item, but Aluminum Black can work well for this type of thing. You can use isopropyl to remove the sharpie mark, then use it.

1648677302075.png

I think it's typically used for firearms but I've used it on chassis with success.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #51,846 of 65,995
Thanks for all sharing.
I have returned my RS1e to local dealer.
This is the last time I would buy the Grado.
I cannot accept their QC and ignored customer service.
You may consider purchasing used. That way you can review the photos before purchase. It would be a shame to deny yourself Grados; there's nothing else like them.

If the idea of used headphones bothers you, a quick wipedown with isoproyl alcohol and some new pads will make them fresh and clean. Just make sure to avoid smoking households if you don't smoke, that smell is very hard to get rid of.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #51,847 of 65,995
I went through three pairs of RS1x's with visual defects before settling on a pair. I bought a pair of RS2e's in 2015 and the leather headband had a scratch on the top. I will say that all of my Grados have been very durable over the years, but the QC is a little annoying...
I would rather go to buy the other brands.
I can't imagine, how's Grado handle the high return rate?

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #51,848 of 65,995
Sadly you will be missing out on a special experience. I've never had an issue personally. I've probably owned ten or so Grados in the past 20 years, although many of those were used. I'm not apologizing for the quality issue, it's not acceptable, but perhaps spending a little more effort to procure another pair will make them that much more enjoyable. Aside from maybe ZMF you don't really get that hand-assembled vibe from any other manufacturer.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #51,849 of 65,995
Aside from maybe ZMF you don't really get that hand-assembled vibe from any other manufacturer.
For me, the handcraft h/p trifecta is Grado, Kennerton, ZMF.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #51,851 of 65,995
I don't like how every Grado box is now sealed.
On the other hand, a "problem" with sealed boxes is, you think you got a brand new unopened box with headphones in front of you? Ehhhhh...

People just open the sides of the box and reglue them, return them as unopened. And you get a crappy pair with scratches or switched drivers/ headphones. Happened to me with three different cans.

Absolutely annoying. If i'll buy a new grado again, i'll do directly in a store and open the box in front of a dealer.

Handmade? Absolutely! New save packaging, better QC and a happy person on the support mail. Urgent!
Surely, some people are full of poison and it is hard for support.

As much as i like and still got some models and indeed i've lost myself in diy grado cans, this is unacceptable.

Especially the answers of the the person from e-mail support. Got same experiences.

Cheers ✌🏻

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #51,852 of 65,995
On the other hand, a "problem" with sealed boxes is, you think you got a brand new unopened box with headphones in front of you? Ehhhhh...

People just open the sides of the box and reglue them, return them as unopened. And you get a crappy pair with scratches or switched drivers/ headphones. Happened to me with three different cans.

Absolutely annoying. If i'll buy a new grado again, i'll do directly in a store and open the box in front of a dealer.

Handmade? Absolutely! New save packaging, better QC and a happy person on the support mail. Urgent!
Surely, some people are full of poison and it is hard for support.

As much as i like and still got some models and indeed i've lost myself in diy grado cans, this is unacceptable.

Especially the answers of the the person from e-mail support. Got same experiences.

Cheers ✌🏻
Agree, that is a pretty horrible email response - not to mention the state of those headphones.

I've been pretty fortunate and the dealer here will let you demo if you're serious about buying which is a big plus.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #51,853 of 65,995
I was chatting with Todd Green at TTVJ and he said the Hemps would be discontinued soon, so I went ahead and snagged a pair.

Grado Hemp.jpg

In person the texture looks amazing. Seems they are including the new cable on it now.

For me, the handcraft h/p trifecta is Grado, Kennerton, ZMF.
Yes I forgot the Kennertons. They look divine. While the Gjallerhorn may not be the last word in resolution it is probably my best looking headphone.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #51,854 of 65,995
I was chatting with Todd Green at TTVJ and he said the Hemps would be discontinued soon, so I went ahead and snagged a pair.
Nice! However UGH at that new cable :) IMO, it is about time... they have been "limited" coming up on 2 years now July.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #51,855 of 65,995
Seems they are including the new cable on it now.
When I looked at the Hemp a while ago, I think I remember they had 2 versions - standard cable or the new (braided ?) cable. Price difference was $40-50 or so (I think)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back