Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #51,736 of 65,639
I think the Pokémon folks are the cause here. I don’t think they know what they are describing or how to. It’s their ball in their court and they dropped it.
Probably. I'll get two pairs for both prices and see if they are really different (from each other and SR80). Practice is always no harm to the truth.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #51,737 of 65,639
So I now have GS3000e here too, and they're beautiful and nice, but I'm not sure the sound is what I'm after. ... I've tried these pads with both Grados: reversed G's, stock Gs, Todd's Flats, Todd's Deluxe Flats.

Seems like you want a U shaped sound with thumping midbass. The 50mm driver Grados won't give you that at stock. My amp, the Pro iCAN, has bass and 3D (phase/soundstage) controls, plus I run software EQ on top of that. Interestingly, I run mine with stock G pads as I find they're the most comfortable. Everything else seems to lack a sense of air. Maybe consider the Schiit Lokius before you give up entirely on it.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #51,738 of 65,639
It's a Grado kind of day... :ksc75smile:

z.jpg

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #51,739 of 65,639
It's a Grado kind of day... :ksc75smile:

z.jpg
You tease!!!
After quite a Grado buying spree... the HF3 is the only model left on my Grado-wish-list...
Fingers crossed 1 would show up FS soon, at a reasonable price :wink:

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #51,740 of 65,639
You tease!!!
After quite a Grado buying spree... the HF3 is the only model left on my Grado-wish-list...
Fingers crossed 1 would show up FS soon, at a reasonable price :wink:
I thought about offering it to you for sale, but I just can't part with my mini bass canon...

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #51,741 of 65,639
I thought about offering it to you for sale, but I just can't part with my mini bass canon...
Should you (hopefully) change your mind - I am but a PM away... :wink:

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #51,742 of 65,639
Should you (hopefully) change your mind - I am but a PM away... :wink:
I hear ya, you'll be first to hear if I do decide to sell em'.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #51,743 of 65,639
Anyone knows how many HF3 units were made by Grado?
Just curious how many potential sellers (other than @DTgill) are out there... :wink:

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #51,746 of 65,639
Seems like you want a U shaped sound with thumping midbass. The 50mm driver Grados won't give you that at stock. My amp, the Pro iCAN, has bass and 3D (phase/soundstage) controls, plus I run software EQ on top of that. Interestingly, I run mine with stock G pads as I find they're the most comfortable. Everything else seems to lack a sense of air. Maybe consider the Schiit Lokius before you give up entirely on it.
Yes indeed, I find myself quite liking the PS1000 implementation of that very "U" sound you describe - the PS1000 is just much better overall than the prior SR and RS series headphones with that same "classic" John Grado U sound. My choice of pads tilts this response downwards, but I still like the lingering classic signature in this form.

I'm not giving up on the GS3000e quite yet. I'm re-terminating it to balanced, to see how far that helps. I still have 3 of my better amps to try: 2 balanced SS (Headroom Max Balanced, Headamp Gilmore Balanced Reference) and one tube OTL (Singlepower SDS) which will DEFINITELY color the sound again. But as far as the Loki - I've had 2 different Yggdrasils fail on me now, so there will absolutely positively not be any more Schiit gear coming this way, ever :sweat_smile:

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #51,747 of 65,639
spent the evening looking for another Grado and remember how much I enjoyed PS500e
Chrome on chrome. PS1000e x McIntosh MHA200. Bliss...
enjoying MHA200 with the baby PS500e

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #51,748 of 65,639
I had been wanting the RS2e for quite some time. I hadn't been keeping up on audio gear for the past few months, and recently realized they released the RS2x. But... I really didn't care for the looks. I much prefer the look of the RS2e tan leather headband and mahogany wood cups. I don't care for the swirly look of the compressed hemp wood. I've also read that some people have issues with the glue separating on the hemp. In addition, I really dislike the plastic techflex covering on the wire. All of these combined made me a bit upset with myself for waiting to get an RS2e.

I had seen that they had the RS2e listed on the clearance section of their site, but it was out of stock. I had started to periodically check that page just to see what would pop up, and about a week ago the RS2e showed in stock. I haven't ever spent nearly this much on a headphone, so I was quite hesitant to click the buy button. After I did, the site showed out of stock again, so I think I got the last one. The RS2e came yesterday, and so far I'm quite happy with them. My only other Grado comparison is the SR60i, and I think they're better in just about every way. I still much prefer the cable on the SR60i; the vacuum cable is unnecessary and terrible, I can only imagine how much worse it'd be with the techflex.

To bring it back, on just looks alone, I vastly prefer the RS2e to the RS2x.
Enjoy your new phones! I know on my RS2e, the wood darkened over time. I think that is typical of mahogany wood though. The porch floor of my house, done 2 years ago, is mahogany, and it has darkened over time too.

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #51,749 of 65,639
I don't like the idea of glued composite wood... heck even MDF would be better.
Sometimes it can look nice. There's some guys at the local Renn fest that use a variety of woods and they nearly always come out well. I'd imagine if Grado used a different color scheme or pattern it would look more appealing... might not sound as good though.

1648227879874.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back