Grado Fan Club!
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #51,421 of 65,584
With the discontinuation of the Professional Series, I will repeat my suggestion / 🙏 for an ‘ultra’ Grado with high impedance (200+ ohm) useable with OTL tube headphone amplifiers. This could ‘bookend’ with @Stevko ’s product suggestion…😀
Plan was to buy a decent amp/dac this year. But if Grado or beyerdynamic come up with something nice. I will take it

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #51,422 of 65,584
Picking just one favorite is hard . . .but the GH2, GH4, PS1000, HF3, and 1888 Reserva probably make the top 5. The Hemps also would make it on that list sound wise but they're not really very "limited" anymore so I would grab those others first if the house was on fire.
I have always been curious about what sound the 1888's put out. I think I saw one sell last year, not a lot out there that is for sure. Have you heard the infamous PS1?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #51,423 of 65,584
Would really like to hear from anybody using a Violectric or an iFi with the RS-1x/RS-2x headphones.
I will try to do a listen on my Violectric V200 today or tomorrow to refresh my thoughts.

As a generalization I did find in the past that the amp did well with all Grados and my notes had it as a best combo with the PS1000e when I still had them.

Attachments

• 5A611AA4-7C25-4EF4-B4F9-0840CF466748.jpeg
    5A611AA4-7C25-4EF4-B4F9-0840CF466748.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #51,425 of 65,584
I have always been curious about what sound the 1888's put out. I think I saw one sell last year, not a lot out there that is for sure. Have you heard the infamous PS1?
I have not heard the PS1. Why is it "infamous"?

The 1888s are basically an RS2e with the slightly different wood treatment (which I highly doubt is audible to any normal human being)

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #51,426 of 65,584
I will try to do a listen on my Violectric V200 today or tomorrow to refresh my thoughts.

As a generalization I did find in the past that the amp did well with all Grados and my notes had it as a best combo with the PS1000e when I still had them.
Do you find the V200 warm? That is what I love about my V220.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #51,428 of 65,584
Yes and quite articulate too. The input level adjustment system is a great design in addition to small steps on the attenuator.
They are special. I am currently using mine as a pre-amp for my tiny amp (MT-602).

I have the large remote for my V220, but Love using that huge dial.:smiley:

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #51,429 of 65,584
Would really like to hear from anybody using a Violectric or an iFi with the RS-1x/RS-2x headphones.
Ok, ok. Send me a new RS1X and I promise to listen to it out of my V280 :D

Mar 3, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #51,430 of 65,584
Ok, ok. Send me a new RS1X and I promise to listen to it out of my V280 :D
If I get my hands on a set it is Never leaving my apartment!:gs1000smile:
And they would have to make do with a V220.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #51,431 of 65,584
I have had more time on the RS1x and agree with Jonathan C. regarding how it evolves. I think the RS2x bass seems more there and lends that to the overall sound so it might seem like more bass. The RS1x does take longer to evolve and results in a better detailed and deeper reaching bass and to me is the more refined and articulate throughout the full spectrum. For me to pick one it has always been the RS1x that I find more satisfying. It might also be more reflective of what amp you are using than the RS2x and scale accordingly. That said, there are plenty of amps that I have found that satisfy and marry well.

The RS2x is still excellent overall and a great choice if you don’t want to spend the extra $200.
Out of curiosity, I tried the RS2x in a store today. Compared to the RS1x, there does seem to be more bass, but as you mentioned, it's not as refined or articulate. I'm glad I tried the RS2x because even with the improvements that I heard compared to my RS2e's - I still prefer the overall sound of the RS1x.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #51,434 of 65,584
Awesome to hear, I was considering the velours for my Hemps as well. Since the cups are further from your ears do you hear a noticeable change in the soundstage? Any changes in the highs?
I just got the velour for my 325x's.

First off, a bit of a description - Comfort S class, no doubt about it! They seem to be made of very soft velour over a type of memory foam on the inside that is quite firm but gives nicely to form a very solid seal. The inside is DEEP, there is no gentle curve like on the G pad - it is very straight on the sides almost like a tube. I have the Shipibo pads as well and these are much deeper and much firmer. They do not compress anywhere near as much as the Shipibo pads though, these are very much more comfortable.

I've only got a short time on these (less than 2 hours) and just going over my test tracks they seem to recess the lower treble a bit, sub bass enhanced and mids really shine through...it sounds weird to say this, but it seems to make them very balanced, but a lot warmer than the F pad, vocals definitely have a richness to them. I'm not sure if it takes away from the Grado sound, but it is different. Not necessarily in a bad way though, just different. I also had the same experience as the original review...had to turn the amp up (from about 11 to 1).

As to soundstage, it actually seems to sharpen the imaging if that makes sense? They have the same sense of width as the G Pad without taking away from the mids (as i said before, it does take a bit away from the lower treble though).

First impressions though - I'll come back after I've let my brain adjust for a week or so.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #51,435 of 65,584
I just got the velour for my 325x's.

First off, a bit of a description - Comfort S class, no doubt about it! They seem to be made of very soft velour over a type of memory foam on the inside that is quite firm but gives nicely to form a very solid seal. The inside is DEEP, there is no gentle curve like on the G pad - it is very straight on the sides almost like a tube. I have the Shipibo pads as well and these are much deeper and much firmer. They do not compress anywhere near as much as the Shipibo pads though, these are very much more comfortable.

I've only got a short time on these (less than 2 hours) and just going over my test tracks they seem to recess the lower treble a bit, sub bass enhanced and mids really shine through...it sounds weird to say this, but it seems to make them very balanced, but a lot warmer than the F pad, vocals definitely have a richness to them. I'm not sure if it takes away from the Grado sound, but it is different. Not necessarily in a bad way though, just different. I also had the same experience as the original review...had to turn the amp up (from about 11 to 1).

As to soundstage, it actually seems to sharpen the imaging if that makes sense? They have the same sense of width as the G Pad without taking away from the mids (as i said before, it does take a bit away from the lower treble though).

First impressions though - I'll come back after I've let my brain adjust for a week or so.
Thank you for these impressions! Seems to be a good pad. Comfort alone makes it worth it. Soundwise, if anything annoys me the change in sound seems small enough that I could probably fix with EQ. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back