Grado Fan Club!
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #51,436 of 65,702
Thank you for these impressions! Seems to be a good pad. Comfort alone makes it worth it. Soundwise, if anything annoys me the change in sound seems small enough that I could probably fix with EQ. Thanks again!
Exactly what I am thinking as well. The solid I feel would change the sound less than the fenestrated. I have been through all of the pads prior to the new Dekoni and ZMF options and still the flats are my favorite. I will likely purchase a Dekoni velour solid eventually for my GH2 to try out.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #51,437 of 65,702
Exactly what I am thinking as well. The solid I feel would change the sound less than the fenestrated. I have been through all of the pads prior to the new Dekoni and ZMF options and still the flats are my favorite. I will likely purchase a Dekoni velour solid eventually for my GH2 to try out.
I've ordered a pair, I'll post my impressions here when I get them!

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #51,438 of 65,702
I just got the velour for my 325x's.

First off, a bit of a description - Comfort S class, no doubt about it! They seem to be made of very soft velour over a type of memory foam on the inside that is quite firm but gives nicely to form a very solid seal. The inside is DEEP, there is no gentle curve like on the G pad - it is very straight on the sides almost like a tube. I have the Shipibo pads as well and these are much deeper and much firmer. They do not compress anywhere near as much as the Shipibo pads though, these are very much more comfortable.

I've only got a short time on these (less than 2 hours) and just going over my test tracks they seem to recess the lower treble a bit, sub bass enhanced and mids really shine through...it sounds weird to say this, but it seems to make them very balanced, but a lot warmer than the F pad, vocals definitely have a richness to them. I'm not sure if it takes away from the Grado sound, but it is different. Not necessarily in a bad way though, just different. I also had the same experience as the original review...had to turn the amp up (from about 11 to 1).

As to soundstage, it actually seems to sharpen the imaging if that makes sense? They have the same sense of width as the G Pad without taking away from the mids (as i said before, it does take a bit away from the lower treble though).

First impressions though - I'll come back after I've let my brain adjust for a week or so.

Good review. After listening a bit more with them, I agree with most of this. Vocals stand out more - which I love in any headphone. Soundstage is dependent on how they sit on your head. I've noticed with these pads since they're straight with no curve inside, they can move around a bit on your head if you don't put the headband a bit more forward on your head than you may be used to with the f pads. Not uncomfortable or bad - just an adjustment to make. But yeah. Overall, I like these pads a lot more than the G pads. They're different from the f pads but I don't know if I like they more than the f pads. They're just a different sound. But they're a hundred times more comfortable than any Grado pad. I can wear these for hours with no issues.

I still haven't tried the fenestrated pads. But might try to get some time with them on my PS500e this weekend.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #51,439 of 65,702
I thought that was going to be cringey from the title. Good work there from Mr Butterworth. I think I'm going to start following his work.

Surprised he doesn't point out that the RS2x which he measured, and subjectively enjoyed, actually does follow the target curve fairly well except in the bass. (I'm using the AKG371 as the proxy for the Harman curve which I imagine was his intent as well) Just dial in some bass boost and off you go.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #51,441 of 65,702
I could have written this as its also my experience:

"But the RS2xes actually had me thinking, “Maybe I should buy a pair of these”—and that’s not a notion that often occurs to a reviewer who already has a big pile of headphones at home. No, the RS2xes’ tonal balance didn’t sound natural—too much treble and not enough bass. But they conjured up a sense of space that’s dramatically more natural—with a soundstage that just seemed more real, more live—than almost all the other headphones I’ve heard. As I said in the review, I wouldn’t want them as my only set of headphones, but they presented a perspective that genuinely does give me fresh insight into the music I’m listening to—something that countless high-end audio products claim, but utterly fail, to do. (And besides, no one who’d consider paying $500 for a set of headphones has just one set of headphones.)"

couldnt agree more, they make many many many cans sound boring as hell. Just like th reviewer, I find the RS2x lacking bass. Bass boost ftw

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #51,442 of 65,702
Good review. After listening a bit more with them, I agree with most of this. Vocals stand out more - which I love in any headphone. Soundstage is dependent on how they sit on your head. I've noticed with these pads since they're straight with no curve inside, they can move around a bit on your head if you don't put the headband a bit more forward on your head than you may be used to with the f pads. Not uncomfortable or bad - just an adjustment to make. But yeah. Overall, I like these pads a lot more than the G pads. They're different from the f pads but I don't know if I like they more than the f pads. They're just a different sound. But they're a hundred times more comfortable than any Grado pad. I can wear these for hours with no issues.

I still haven't tried the fenestrated pads. But might try to get some time with them on my PS500e this weekend.
looking forward to the Grado Dekoni Pads being available in the UK at some point.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #51,443 of 65,702
looking forward to the Grado Dekoni Pads being available in the UK at some point.

Ah. Didn't know they were US only. Hope they become more widely available soon. They're a great option I'd like to be able to recommend to everyone.

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #51,446 of 65,702
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #51,447 of 65,702
If only it had a RCA ‘in’ as well 😒
They also have a new ZEN Air Can model which covers this case. All amp, no DAC, 1200mw at 32 ohm for 99 GBP (according to my unbiased sources at the IFi marketing team on the Head Fi front page 😁)

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #51,448 of 65,702
New ifi with big jack and no balanced sxith..
Perfect for Grado?

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-air-dac/
Its probably exactly the same as the SE output on the regular ZEN DAC but if you're anything like me it drives me nuts not to use the balanced out on a device if it has one so by that metric yes these are perfect for Grados up until they finally put detachable cables on their headphones which will be right about the time we can all get chips implanted in our brains to hear anything any way we want and has this sentence gone on long enough yet ?

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #51,449 of 65,702
Mar 5, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #51,450 of 65,702
We know :wink:
Now we waiting for the new high imp Grado 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back