Grado Fan Club!
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #49,336 of 65,579
There is a walkthrough a few hundred pages back. I dont think it is particularly hard to do just a lot of cleanup afterwards with the small pieces that are glues to the grill. Also painting of the grill because once the buttons are taken off/glue, sharpie can do the job. The only risk is doing it in a rush and potentially leaving or not being able to get out a piece of broken button into the housing.

Also, I think Grado will ship the Hemp without the button, if requested in advance.
To go along with above is the fact which I doubt is any secret that hot glue is used to attach the buttons. You would need to carefully reverse that with the careful application of heat to the button to loosen the grip. As stated that would leave evidence of the mod as the grill will need at least that color touch up. If small then a black marker should suffice. If larger then Testor’s black enamel for models lightly applied will blend better as the blue tone of the marker might be more noticeable in that situation than black paint.

MOST Important is not to apply too much heat as you could easily damage the drivers and would not be covered by the warranty.

Tread softly. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #49,337 of 65,579
Any impressions on the Pokémons yet?

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #49,340 of 65,579
I also haven’t seen much of a comparison on the RS2e vs the hemp? I saw one person back in this thread share on it but just that one. They seemed to like the RS2e more. I saw one other person on another forums say the hemp was better but not much detail. Anyone else compared them at all?
The Hemp definitely has more bass, while reduced in the highs (slightly) compared to the RS2e. The RS2e is more resolving though. Soundstage is wider on the Hemp, imo. The are very similar, but I think the Hemps just have something special about them. I prefer the Hemps over the RS2e. I actually brought the RS2e into work so they would get some play time. Different enough to keep both in my collection.

Edit to add: The RS2e is your typical Grado sound. The Hemps are more laid back, I think. When I say resolving for the RS2e, I mean things are more up front in the placement so you hear things right away. Maybe the wrong word to use? But I think the Hemps have more detail.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #49,341 of 65,579
I'm curious about this too. I couldn't tell what model was reskinned. They look really cool, though.
They are actually separate designs onto themselves. They are not a re-badging of any current or past model.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #49,342 of 65,579
Thanks, a chance photo as I was experimenting with an amp a friend built so I just moved that group onto a chair nearby. I don’t know if you noticed but they are sitting gently on top of a Maple Tree Audio tube that I am contemplating selling.

Will be back to you about the button question.
Another killer pic. I really like how your setup is looking. I did think they might be on a tube lol.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #49,343 of 65,579
image.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #49,344 of 65,579
There is a walkthrough a few hundred pages back. I dont think it is particularly hard to do just a lot of cleanup afterwards with the small pieces that are glues to the grill. Also painting of the grill because once the buttons are taken off/glue, sharpie can do the job. The only risk is doing it in a rush and potentially leaving or not being able to get out a piece of broken button into the housing.

Also, I think Grado will ship the Hemp without the button, if requested in advance.
I appreciate that as well, but I have decided it’s not worth the risk for me to mess it up. Thanks though and keep jamming Grado.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #49,345 of 65,579
Another killer pic. I really like how your setup is looking. I did think they might be on a tube lol.
Thanks for the nice words. The rack is one of 3 abodes I have in the house for amp set ups. Below is pretty much the current state of that. Always fun to share.

Attachments

• 3EF2092F-F23E-4FAC-AD1D-F05E230EE587.jpeg
    3EF2092F-F23E-4FAC-AD1D-F05E230EE587.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8762881E-954F-45BB-9330-02A721F0D9DC.jpeg
    8762881E-954F-45BB-9330-02A721F0D9DC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 9251CEC8-A4FD-4415-8CDB-121DFECC2E3F.jpeg
    9251CEC8-A4FD-4415-8CDB-121DFECC2E3F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #49,346 of 65,579
To go along with above is the fact which I doubt is any secret that hot glue is used to attach the buttons. You would need to carefully reverse that with the careful application of heat to the button to loosen the grip. As stated that would leave evidence of the mod as the grill will need at least that color touch up. If small then a black marker should suffice. If larger then Testor’s black enamel for models lightly applied will blend better as the blue tone of the marker might be more noticeable in that situation than black paint.

MOST Important is not to apply too much heat as you could easily damage the drivers and would not be covered by the warranty.

Tread softly. 👍🏻
Dude your’e awesome. May I ask how

Tread softly. 👍🏻
Dude, your’e awesome.

Tread softly. 👍🏻
Dude,

Tread softly. 👍🏻
Dude, you’re awesome. Btw in love with the looks of your GH2’s. Nice tube amp too.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #49,348 of 65,579
I appreciate that as well, but I have decided it’s not worth the risk for me to mess it up. Thanks though and keep jamming
Thanks for the nice words. The rack is one of 3 abodes I have in the house for amp set ups. Below is pretty much the current state of that. Always fun to share.
Yea you just have to love a quality amp. They will add a certain clarity and effect to your headphones that no eq on the planet can duplicate.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #49,350 of 65,579
Yea you just have to love a quality amp. They will add a certain clarity and effect to your headphones that no eq on the planet can duplicate.
Without losing sight of the music I am pretty familiar with the characteristics of my different amps so they can be my seasoning for a best match combo.
I have quite a few amps that combine real well with Grados along with other headphone/amp combos.

Some additional “Spices”…. ha

Attachments

• 3E930942-1A26-40CD-861D-E642BBE2F3CE.jpeg
    3E930942-1A26-40CD-861D-E642BBE2F3CE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back