Grado Fan Club!
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #49,321 of 65,577
Got my RS2x a few days ago!

RS2x is definitely pretty different from the e series, while also retaining its key characteristics. (RS2e is currently my favorite headphone I own) It's a big enough change that I think I may try out the RS1x to see if I'll like them better than I did the RS1e (I preferred the RS2e of the 2). I'd say the biggest changes for the RS2x are the soundstage is wider, the vocals are less front and center, the sibilants are less out of control (See Avenged Sevenfold's: A little Piece of Heaven for a great comparison if you have both headphones), the instrument isolation is better, bass sounds awesome, heavy drumming sections are much more responsive and quick and don't muddy the mix now.

Now, it sounds like it's a straight up upgrade in every way, BUT, it is definitely a departure in a way when it comes to the signature sound of the previous model. I felt the rs2e did a really good job of boosting decent but not amazing mixes to a better sounding place, where it was lively, in your face, and dynamic. Well, the downside of the rs2x becoming more detailed and balanced is that some songs are less exciting on it - they have a reduced oompf factor, and you can't even blame it on the headphones because in 10/10 cases, it is a problem with the mix of the songs listened to. However, do keep in mind that albums with good/great mixes sound phenomenal, and I will make the claim that these are 100% better on the rs2x, easily.

I don't feel comfortable selling my rs2e's just yet until I do some more listening tests, but I am definitely surprised at how big of a jump this new line made and am pretty happy with them minus not liking the finish as much on the rs2x specifically. Excited to hear what others think when theirs' arrive. I don't think this is a straight up different pair of headphones, thankfully. That was my biggest fear going in.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #49,322 of 65,577
Got my RS2x a few days ago!

RS2x is definitely pretty different from the e series, while also retaining its key characteristics. (RS2e is currently my favorite headphone I own) It's a big enough change that I think I may try out the RS1x to see if I'll like them better than I did the RS1e (I preferred the RS2e of the 2). I'd say the biggest changes for the RS2x are the soundstage is wider, the vocals are less front and center, the sibilants are less out of control (See Avenged Sevenfold's: A little Piece of Heaven for a great comparison if you have both headphones), the instrument isolation is better, bass sounds awesome, heavy drumming sections are much more responsive and quick and don't muddy the mix now.

Now, it sounds like it's a straight up upgrade in every way, BUT, it is definitely a departure in a way when it comes to the signature sound of the previous model. I felt the rs2e did a really good job of boosting decent but not amazing mixes to a better sounding place, where it was lively, in your face, and dynamic. Well, the downside of the rs2x becoming more detailed and balanced is that some songs are less exciting on it - they have a reduced oompf factor, and you can't even blame it on the headphones because in 10/10 cases, it is a problem with the mix of the songs listened to. However, do keep in mind that albums with good/great mixes sound phenomenal, and I will make the claim that these are 100% better on the rs2x, easily.

I don't feel comfortable selling my rs2e's just yet until I do some more listening tests, but I am definitely surprised at how big of a jump this new line made and am pretty happy with them minus not liking the finish as much on the rs2x specifically. Excited to hear what others think when theirs' arrive. I don't think this is a straight up different pair of headphones, thankfully. That was my biggest fear going in.

Have you tried the hemps or 325x?

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #49,324 of 65,577
By Grado. They include a XLR to 6.3 Grado adapter as well.

I will say that if you have balanced gear, it is nice.

PSX_20211107_165424.jpg

only sold in the Grado store?never seen balanced Grados other places. WHY?

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #49,328 of 65,577
In Europe we have to wait untill they arrive in the shops. Plenty of time to think I want one foor Christmas:santa:
Possible to buy from amazon.com. (not all modells)
But no Warranty outside US :frowning2:

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #49,331 of 65,577
I found that the time varied slightly with the PS2000e really arriving sonically as I passed 200 hours. I found most of my others getting there after 100 hours and starting to show some change by 50 hours.

A gaggle of Grados. These and all the rest of my Grados got break in time playing before I really formed my impressions.

I do the same for all my headphones, not just Grado. The Sony MDR-Z1 took a very long time to totally evolve.

Attachments

• 0A79C093-5FD4-455E-99D9-E8F60A1DFF17.jpeg
    0A79C093-5FD4-455E-99D9-E8F60A1DFF17.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #49,333 of 65,577
Beautiful pic. I see you took the vent circles off the Hemps. Wish I knew how to do this.
There is a walkthrough a few hundred pages back. I dont think it is particularly hard to do just a lot of cleanup afterwards with the small pieces that are glues to the grill. Also painting of the grill because once the buttons are taken off/glue, sharpie can do the job. The only risk is doing it in a rush and potentially leaving or not being able to get out a piece of broken button into the housing.

Also, I think Grado will ship the Hemp without the button, if requested in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #49,334 of 65,577
Beautiful pic. I see you took the vent circles off the Hemps. Wish I knew how to do this.
Thanks, a chance photo as I was experimenting with an amp a friend built so I just moved that group onto a chair nearby. I don’t know if you noticed but they are sitting gently on top of a Maple Tree Audio tube that I am contemplating selling.

Will be back to you about the button question.

Attachments

• DB255698-97DF-44E0-A322-D1CC2834B889.jpeg
    DB255698-97DF-44E0-A322-D1CC2834B889.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #49,335 of 65,577
Thanks, a chance photo as I was experimenting with an amp a friend built so I just moved that group onto a chair nearby. I don’t know if you noticed but they are sitting gently on top of a Maple Tree Audio tube that I am contemplating selling.

Will be back to you about the button question.
Is that fire extinguisher, in case of class A fire? :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back