Grado Fan Club!
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #48,181 of 65,629
Hello all !
I used to have some grado's headphones years ago and lately I feel like I miss the grado sound!
After some reading, I'm hesitating between a GW100 and the new SR325X.
I live in France, and Grado's headphones are quite expensive here in Europe, the SR325x is 400€ but the GW100(v2) can be found at 215€.
Does someone with both these headphones can make a quick comparison? How does the GW100 (wired) compare to the SR325X ?

Thx!

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #48,182 of 65,629
GW100 sounds best with BT. probably better than 325X

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #48,183 of 65,629
This much ? I read both opinion on the wired vs bt with the GW100. Some says going wired bring some better resolution (while the BT isn't that behind).
But I quite surprise you'll but the GW100 (with BT) on the same level (or better) than the 325X. I thought the BT won't be as detailed as a wired connection !

Edit : well, I just ordered the GW100, it's twice cheaper than the SR325X and I won't feel the need to buy a new dac/amp ! (but I'll need a BT emitter for my PC now)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #48,184 of 65,629
So, just wanted to give a heads-up that the Hemp is on sale for 380 at Music Direct. Cheers!

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #48,185 of 65,629
You won't be dissapointed with the GW100. It's a definite departure from the sterotypical "weak bass, harsh lower treble" but it's got super punchy bass and low-mids that gives them this punchy texture that's super fun. I wouldn't consider them flat or boring in any sense of the words. But they still have that open-back feeling and are amazing on the go.

I personally haven't noticed much difference comparing BT vs wired, other than wired doesn't drop-out and you're tethered to your source. Keep in mind, if you're relatively tall (I'm 6'2") while using these in bluetooth mode, the signal drops a bit more often than I'd like IF the phone is in your right pants pocket. Keep it on your left side or higher-up for best connection and least amount of drop-outs.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #48,186 of 65,629
You won't be dissapointed with the GW100. It's a definite departure from the sterotypical "weak bass, harsh lower treble" but it's got super punchy bass and low-mids that gives them this punchy texture that's super fun. I wouldn't consider them flat or boring in any sense of the words. But they still have that open-back feeling and are amazing on the go.

I personally haven't noticed much difference comparing BT vs wired, other than wired doesn't drop-out and you're tethered to your source. Keep in mind, if you're relatively tall (I'm 6'2") while using these in bluetooth mode, the signal drops a bit more often than I'd like IF the phone is in your right pants pocket. Keep it on your left side or higher-up for best connection and least amount of drop-outs.
Thx for your feedback.
About the BT signal drops, maybe it comes from your GW100 v1 ? apparently the v2 correct this problem with Bluetooth 5.0 (instead of BT4.2 on v1)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #48,187 of 65,629
Thx for your feedback.
About the BT signal drops, maybe it comes from your GW100 v1 ? apparently the v2 correct this problem with Bluetooth 5.0 (instead of BT4.2 on v1)

Ha I had no idea there was a v2! I guess I've got the "vintage" edition already :D :D

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #48,188 of 65,629
This much ? I read both opinion on the wired vs bt with the GW100. Some says going wired bring some better resolution (while the BT isn't that behind).
But I quite surprise you'll but the GW100 (with BT) on the same level (or better) than the 325X. I thought the BT won't be as detailed as a wired connection !

Edit : well, I just ordered the GW100, it's twice cheaper than the SR325X and I won't feel the need to buy a new dac/amp ! (but I'll need a BT emitter for my PC now)
325x with decent dac/amp (like AK Pee51 or higher) will better than GW100 bluetooth in every way possible. Detail, speed, soundstage, bass impact, bass texture, clarity on midrange/treble, decay accuracy, imaging structure, I can go on for the next 5 paragraphs.

Of course GW100 win in term of wireless connection.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #48,189 of 65,629
Maybe,maybe not. GW100 is pretty good in BT mode

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #48,190 of 65,629
GH3 owners - can any of you please share some snaps of the driver housing? I can't find any pics online. I'm keen to see whether it's an all-wood situation, or whether the pine has been 'sandwiched' with plastic. I'd like to know for modding reasons.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #48,191 of 65,629
GH3 owners - can any of you please share some snaps of the driver housing? I can't find any pics online. I'm keen to see whether it's an all-wood situation, or whether the pine has been 'sandwiched' with plastic. I'd like to know for modding reasons.
Not sure if this gives you what you're looking for ? I don't see any plastic except for the gimbals.
20210728_165543.jpg
20210728_165759.jpg

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #48,193 of 65,629
Single piece of red pine (norway/norwegian pine)
F6AA9246-589C-4744-9F9E-6F47112FBAE5.jpeg

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #48,194 of 65,629
Not sure if this gives you what you're looking for ? I don't see any plastic except for the gimbals.
Thanks mate - appreciate you sharing, but I'm actually keen to see the driver side of the cups with the pads removed if that makes sense?
Single piece of red pine (norway/norwegian pine)
F6AA9246-589C-4744-9F9E-6F47112FBAE5.jpeg
Gotcha - thanks mate. This might make disassemble a little trickier than I originally thought. Cheers!

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #48,195 of 65,629
Interesting intent to change the cap. For my understanding especially the softer wood is the reason of these phones extraordinary contoured bass. Softer wood - better slow frequency response.

A classic violin is made of different woods. Maple chassis for stability, but spruce for upper shell, bass bar and sound post. And there‘s ebony as neck, fingerboard and nut/peg box. The denser, harder wood is good for its high frequency resonance, but the spruce gives the sound contour, its body. Spruce is for my understanding not the most tolerant thing in fast drying processes. The not to distantly related pine is more… stoic with that. Especially in thinner cuts. I was surprised when Grado released 2 Heritage models in September ‘18, both made of the same wood. But they sounded different. I guess the more every day suitable highs resulted in the S Cushions. Of which I am not the biggest fan. But there was also something in the lows and lower mids where these phones are different. On first impression the GH4 appeared to have the bigger punch. Bigger, but not harder. I felt the GH3 have more texture there. Speaking of thinner cuts, I think this is one result of this cut and the lower mass of soft wood. As if John Grado found 2 appealing soundings while experimenting with the draft samples of the new softer wood.

Normally with wood a softer glue is used (by carpenters, joiners) because a more elastic compound is needed. So my idea would be to use the tip of a triangle blade crafting knife. My colleagues in the US (back in the days) called these X-acto(?). Like it more than heating up a mylar membrane. I would cut/scrape the wasted glue, then stick the tip carefully into the glue, move the handle slightly center, outwards, center, outwards, and so on. Not to deep, not back and forth. Might cut the cup. Then the next millimeter …clockwise. If I remember right the drivers lower housing wall is about 6, 7 mm deep glued. It might take 7 rounds.
🎼slowly but surely …

(More effective ideas are always welcome)

I am extremely curious to see the result of your modding idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back