Grado Fan Club!
Jul 29, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #48,196 of 65,481
Hello!!!
GH3 owners - can any of you please share some snaps of the driver housing? I can't find any pics online. I'm keen to see whether it's an all-wood situation, or whether the pine has been 'sandwiched' with plastic. I'd like to know for modding reasons.
Same system than HF3, the driver directly attached to the wood, like all Grados with wood cups.
Grado-HF3cable-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #48,197 of 65,481
You won't be dissapointed with the GW100. It's a definite departure from the sterotypical "weak bass, harsh lower treble" but it's got super punchy bass and low-mids that gives them this punchy texture that's super fun. I wouldn't consider them flat or boring in any sense of the words. But they still have that open-back feeling and are amazing on the go.

I personally haven't noticed much difference comparing BT vs wired, other than wired doesn't drop-out and you're tethered to your source. Keep in mind, if you're relatively tall (I'm 6'2") while using these in bluetooth mode, the signal drops a bit more often than I'd like IF the phone is in your right pants pocket. Keep it on your left side or higher-up for best connection and least amount of drop-outs.
Your experience comparing BT vs wired must be heavily influenced by type of music and bitrate. Anyone can tell with well recording music and high resolution files that BT is FAR inferior to a wired connection. BT can't even play full cd quality music. That being said, if you're used to listening to low bit rate mp3s and spotify, you might not be able to hear a difference. To me the only thing going for BT is convenience (laziness IMHO).

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #48,199 of 65,481
Maybe,maybe not. GW100 is pretty good in BT mode
I agree, but to my ears the sound improves a bit when using a good cable and for example the ifi idsd micro BL

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #48,201 of 65,481
I just received a modded SR325X had to do a quick repair on the metal rod going into the gimble, today hooked it up to an Aune T1 MK2, and all I can say is wow!

I have a Schiit Jot coming my way next week, I'm blown away by how good it sounds.

My Sundara sounded bad on this DAC amp combo, I can't believe how good it sounds. I almost regret buying the Jot.

s-l1600.jpg

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #48,203 of 65,481
I didn't get the cable with the cans, I wish I would have now that I'm getting some more Schiit.

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #48,204 of 65,481
Your experience comparing BT vs wired must be heavily influenced by type of music and bitrate. Anyone can tell with well recording music and high resolution files that BT is FAR inferior to a wired connection. BT can't even play full cd quality music. That being said, if you're used to listening to low bit rate mp3s and spotify, you might not be able to hear a difference. To me the only thing going for BT is convenience (laziness IMHO).

No, it's that these don't have as much extension in the treble region where many of the bits are 'sacrificed' for lossy* compression. Again, I have the v1 with an iPhone Xr and using FLACs downloaded from Bandcamp (yes, quality produced music from GoGo Penguin, Mammal Hands, Owane, Covet/Yvette Young) these just don't extend as high for it to be noticeable very often compared to the stock lightning adapter/dongle.

And yes, you can tell the difference when using compressed Bandcamp MP3s that sound maybe 128, maybe 192Kbit/s when comparing BT vs wired because of the shrill, washy sounding cymbal artifacts. And that difference is even MORE apparent on my GH2s & LCD2CBs. With those, the first sign of a VBR 320KB mp3 is (during quiet passages) the decay of a ride or crash cymbal.

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #48,205 of 65,481
No, it's that these don't have as much extension in the treble region where many of the bits are 'sacrificed' for lossy* compression. Again, I have the v1 with an iPhone Xr and using FLACs downloaded from Bandcamp (yes, quality produced music from GoGo Penguin, Mammal Hands, Owane, Covet/Yvette Young) these just don't extend as high for it to be noticeable very often compared to the stock lightning adapter/dongle.

And yes, you can tell the difference when using compressed Bandcamp MP3s that sound maybe 128, maybe 192Kbit/s when comparing BT vs wired because of the shrill, washy sounding cymbal artifacts. And that difference is even MORE apparent on my GH2s & LCD2CBs. With those, the first sign of a VBR 320KB mp3 is (during quiet passages) the decay of a ride or crash cymbal.
Cymbals don't lie!

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #48,206 of 65,481
I'm finding that my Grado's are indeed seductive, I think I might like them almost as much as I do my Ananda, and Sundara :ksc75smile:, now I'm thinking about selling my Hifiman cans and buying a couple of more Grado cans...

Maybe the Hemp, what's another good one to get?

Amps are: Lyr 3 Asgard 2, and soon to be a Jotunheim.

I kind of like the stock pads with these cans, but my ears start to become uncomfortable after an hour or so, any tips on how to make these comfy for long listening sessions?

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #48,207 of 65,481
I'm finding that my Grado's are indeed seductive, I think I might like them almost as much as I do my Ananda, and Sundara :ksc75smile:, now I'm thinking about selling my Hifiman cans and buying a couple of more Grado cans...

I kind of like the stock pads with these cans, but my ears start to become uncomfortable after an hour or so, any tips on how to make these comfy for long listening sessions?
Grado and schiit is a good thing

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #48,208 of 65,481

Same here. Bought mine used for 120$
sounds good with BT.
Perfect for on the go and when have no time to fiddle with your stationary setup

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #48,209 of 65,481
GS3000e are cementing their place at the top of my list, sound out of my new stack (Topping A90/D90SE) with these is amazing. Any spare time this week has been spent exploring old favourites with this combo.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #48,210 of 65,481

Don't sell. You will love the Sundara with the Jot.
Uhm… and adding a Hemp is always a good idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back