Grado Fan Club!
May 10, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #47,161 of 65,799
You might be experiencing what people used to refer to as “Grattle” back in the day (aka. Grado rattle).

It’s often caused by a hair getting stuck in the driver.

I’ve never personally experienced it but I remember people used to talk about this phenomenon back when first got into Grado around 2001. Strangely, I haven’t heard about it in years. But maybe it’s still a possibility.
Interesting! You think it could be related to my Grado's screen fabric being a little frayed (it came like this by the way).

Here is the left cup
IMG_2582.jpeg

Right Cup
IMG_2583.jpeg

EDIT: Do I...do I just take tiny scissors and cut the frayed ends off that stick out. The ones that stick out away from the rest of the circle of fabric?

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #47,162 of 65,799
Interesting! You think it could be related to my Grado's screen fabric being a little frayed (it came like this by the way).

Here is the left cup
IMG_2582.jpeg

Right Cup
IMG_2583.jpeg

EDIT: Do I...do I just take tiny scissors and cut the frayed ends off that stick out. The ones that stick out away from the rest of the circle of fabric?

They’re all frayed like that. I think that’s pretty standard with the hand manufacturing process.

I’m not positive, but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s more likely that a hair got in through the other side of the headphone. It seems more likely that something got through the rear grate. Maybe try shining a light through to see if you can see anything. If you can, try carefully using tweezers to pull out the hair. But if you can’t see anything, then I wouldn’t go any further. I would just talk to Grado and see what they say.

May 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #47,163 of 65,799
The problem that the PS2000e and GS3000e introduced is that they immediately devalued the 'specialness' of the previous flagship XS1000 models. I imagine that Grado is hoping to get people back into that price tier of Grado model, and then perhaps introduce an even higher tier down the line - like they did with the 'e' range.

The PS2000e came out with a different 50mm driver and reshaped metal grill. The GS3000e came out later using the same driver. FR graph comparisons between the two are virtually the same except that the GS3000e is more relaxed above 8khz. A few people who compared both said the GS3000e sounded better at 2/3rds the price. The GS3000e is also 40% lighter, so the PS2000e was never a consideration for me. It may be quite possible that they don't need to be refreshed because their drivers are different from the RS1e/GS1000e/GS2000e/PS1000e.

The GS3000e's flagship status is justified because it's all cocobolo. It isn't easy or cheap to source solid cocobolo that wide and thick, especially if you want a cup that's 100% heartwood with no sapwood (cream color) at all. ZMF only produced 70 cocobolo headphones. Having spent extensive time with both the GS2000e and GS3000e, the cocobolo gives a quality of bass depth and smoothness that just wasn't there on the mahogany/maple hybrid.

As for the price point, those headphones cost that much because the market can support it. Grado didn't have a $1000 headphone until the HD800 and LCD-2 shifted the market towards four-digit flagships. Grado makes a $12000 cartridge (Epoch3) using the same cocobolo as in the GS3000e. But there's much less cocobolo used in a cartridge. It's just that there's a market for hyper-expensive cartridges as proven by Koetsu and Air Tight.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #47,164 of 65,799
Just did an AB session with my headphones across a few genres. Could probably make a long winded breakdown of everything but I will spare everyone. Long story short... I don't like how my dt990 or ms2i sound anymore. Grado Hemp has officially replaced 2 of my cans and sits beside my D5200(to be fair it serves a different purpose and it is closed).

Someone here said the Hemp is just better than the ms2i and I am glad I listened... shame cause it ruined the ms2i experience despite the Hemp being a bit darker than it.

Side note: prefer stock pads to G cush sound wise... shame cause it is far more comfy

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #47,165 of 65,799
They’re all frayed like that. I think that’s pretty standard with the hand manufacturing process.

I’m not positive, but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s more likely that a hair got in through the other side of the headphone. It seems more likely that something got through the rear grate. Maybe try shining a light through to see if you can see anything. If you can, try carefully using tweezers to pull out the hair. But if you can’t see anything, then I wouldn’t go any further. I would just talk to Grado and see what they say.
I checked the headphones and found no hair that I could see, even looking close and with a flashlight running through.

May 10, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #47,166 of 65,799

Grado would have every right to refuse a warranty claim if you mess with the headphones like that.

May 11, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #47,167 of 65,799
After listening more tonight, it again happened with the video, Rezonate. However, after trying other music (like classic rock), I haven't heard the vibrations so readily, if at all.

Tracks where the headphones sound fine:
• Stairway to Heaven
• Dream on
• Hotel California

...and more to listen to.

Grado would have every right to refuse a warranty claim if you mess with the headphones like that.
I won't be modifying anything until their support reaches back to me with advice and next options for fixing the issue.

They could want to replace it? We'll see. I've never worked with Grado before so don't known their customer service timing and recourse in these instances. Definitely don't want to ruin a chance for warranty.

May 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #47,169 of 65,799
I checked the headphones and found no hair that I could see, even looking close and with a flashlight running through.

The hair might have creeped in behind the driver. This is common if you happen to have long sideburns that cover the cup side.

One desperate solution you might try, which has worked for me on a cheaper, vent-modded Grado, is to put your lips right up to the cup (wood side) and then suck in while a bass-heavy tune is playing. Sounds gross and disgusting, but the idea is to dislodge the hair from the driver diaphragm and hopefully have it either settle to the driver edge (where it shouldn't cause a problem anymore) or better, have the hair come out from one of the vent holes. This is more effective in models with more vent holes: I modded my SR225i to have 10 vent holes, but stock Grado models have anywhere from 0 to 6. I think the Hemp has 2, though my Hemp is in storage so I'm not 100% sure.

But because you're under warranty, probably just best to send it back to Grado.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #47,171 of 65,799
New to the thread here. I just bought the Grado Hemp and, after only a few hours total of listening, I'm having an issue with driver/cup rattling or unwanted vibrations in the left ear. This issue is happening on every track and video I've tried, with no issue in the right ear.

I'm so disappointed with the quality control on this. These were so much fun up until this issue started :'(

Anyone else have quality control or sound issues with their hemp?
Maybe a hair or something caught in the grill/driver?

May 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #47,172 of 65,799
Hello all,
I am considering treating myself and getting a pair of Hemps and I was wondering if an AMP and or DAC would be something that would be beneficial to get? Would there be a noticeable difference?

If this is something that I should get, are there any suggestions? I would mostly be using them with my Hiby R5, phone, and laptop so something portable would be preferable.

May 11, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #47,173 of 65,799
If you want something portable, get the GW100 or GT220 over the Hemp.

May 11, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #47,174 of 65,799
If you want something portable, get the GW100 or GT220 over the Hemp.
I am fine with the wire. I have an Sr80i and while the cable is annoying I have mostly come to terms with it lol. When I say portable I mean I don't want to be tied to a desktop. Something that I can pick up and move with me if I have the desire to do so is what I am after.

May 11, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #47,175 of 65,799
Hello all,
I am considering treating myself and getting a pair of Hemps and I was wondering if an AMP and or DAC would be something that would be beneficial to get? Would there be a noticeable difference?

If this is something that I should get, are there any suggestions? I would mostly be using them with my Hiby R5, phone, and laptop so something portable would be preferable.
The difference is noticeable!
Go for a mojo or ifi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back