Grado Fan Club!
May 11, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #47,178 of 65,639
About the RS2e: I've been using it with the F-pads and the Shipibo pads recently and they're really great with them. I always found the RS2e a little too "lean" and those pads solve that problem. The F-pads give the RS2e a very clean, full and competent bass but they eat a little more treble than the Shipibo pads with which the bass is only 90% as great as with the Fs but the mids and treble shine much more. So as an overall package the RS2e with Shipibo pads are a great couple.

May 11, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #47,179 of 65,639
So I know this question has probably been asked a bunch of times but please forgive me. Why did rtings effectively say that the Hemp is bass "light?" Does it lack the sub bass extension of other headphones sure. Though these headphones seem to be anything but bass light. Are they relying too heavily on chart data and not their own ears?
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/grado/the-hemp-headphone

May 11, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #47,180 of 65,639
Hello all,
I am considering treating myself and getting a pair of Hemps and I was wondering if an AMP and or DAC would be something that would be beneficial to get? Would there be a noticeable difference?

If this is something that I should get, are there any suggestions? I would mostly be using them with my Hiby R5, phone, and laptop so something portable would be preferable.
The iBasso DX160 has a quite powerful SE output for all your Grado needs. It has a crazy powerful balanced out also if you're into that sort of thing. I use it more than my Topping these days because I can walk around the house with it.

I also have an R5 which I find drives Grados easily as well.

May 11, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #47,181 of 65,639
So I know this question has probably been asked a bunch of times but please forgive me. Why did rtings effectively say that the Hemp is bass "light?" Does it lack the sub bass extension of other headphones sure. Though these headphones seem to be anything but bass light. Are they relying too heavily on chart data and not their own ears?
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/grado/the-hemp-headphone
Despite the impressive web design and sheer comprehensiveness of their reviews, Rtings are almost useless for an actual listener of headphones in the real world. It's forced data-driven pseudo-objectivity to a fault.

May 11, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #47,182 of 65,639
Despite the impressive web design and sheer comprehensiveness of their reviews, Rtings are almost useless for an actual listener of headphones in the real world. It's forced data-driven pseudo-objectivity to a fault.

They’re the same way with TVs.

So much data and their recommendations often end up being horrible.

They focus so heavily on every spec and every minute measurement, that they completely miss the end user experience of actually owning and using the TV.
The quality of a product and the user’s level of satisfaction with it is so much more than just a compilation of the specs and measurements you can make of that product.

So many people have been led astray into buying pieces of junk from companies like Vizio and TCL simply because they won the spec battle over much better TVs from Sony or LG.

May 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #47,183 of 65,639
Hello all,
I am considering treating myself and getting a pair of Hemps and I was wondering if an AMP and or DAC would be something that would be beneficial to get? Would there be a noticeable difference?

If this is something that I should get, are there any suggestions? I would mostly be using them with my Hiby R5, phone, and laptop so something portable would be preferable.
If you get the Hemps, get a a dac/amplifier that has synergy with them. I did not find the Chord Mojo to have any particular synergy with the Hemps or other Grados for that matter. The Mojo did not kick that extra life in to the Hemps nor made the Hemps scale up or open up the sound. I use the Earmen TR-Amp and I think it is much better with my Grados than the Mojo and it brings life and sparkle into the sound. But there are so many choices out there. If I was you I would get the Hemps and build your system around them and see if you can get to try different amps with them before you buy.

May 12, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #47,184 of 65,639
So many people have been led astray into buying pieces of junk from companies like Vizio and TCL simply because they won the spec battle over much better TVs from Sony or LG.
To be fair, if people want a low-end model, Vizio and TCL actually do have better offerings than the reputable brands like Sony/LG. The Sony X80J (their entry-level model) isn't comparatively good when you look at it in person. It's only when you go after their high-end that Sony puts considerable effort into their product. But most casuals will see Sony's OLED TV costing 3X as much and walk away. People only care if it's "good enough" and if it's large. Hey, that sounds like the casuals looking for headphones, too! If it's cheap and produces good bass, that's good enough for the casuals!

May 13, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #47,187 of 65,639
Anyone tried the new ifi zen can V2 with grado?

May 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #47,189 of 65,639
Perhaps the Hemp was a test run with the drivers that they'll put in the X series? I hope they're not completely caving in to the vocal crowd who hated all Grados except the Hemp. Some people want and prefer the sparkly treble. We don't want another situation where people bought the RS1e thinking it was an improved RS1i, but got something that sounded way different.

This would also explain why 4ourears has been out of stock of the lower-end E models for quite some time, and how distributors aren't getting more stock. It's because Grado isn't making any more of them and have shifted to X model production. It was a shrewd, but smart move of Grado to not announce this, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to clear their remaining E model inventory.

Oh well, guess I'm buying the GS3000x (or maybe GS4000x if they make it) when it comes out. I don't think that what I have right now can sound much better, but if a newer model can achieve what I prefer without the use of my current EQ, then it'll be my ultimate endgame.
If the Hemp was a test run , then can we also assume the new "X" series models are going back to the original (F) pads ?

May 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #47,190 of 65,639
Yes I have. They still sound good, but very different from the F-cush pads. The treble is considerably boosted, the upper mids are a bit more forward, the lower-mids/upper-bass are much less warm, and the bass is less but the sub-bass is about the same.

They might be a bit too bright for at times but I still like how these sound overall.

I wish I had an RS2e compare to. I'm curious how different they are when using the same pads.
Interesting , Can we conclude the hemps glory is simply achieved by the use of the F pad ??? .
I have an RS2e with both L Cush & TTVJ Deluxe & Normal flat pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back