Grado Fan Club!
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #46,606 of 65,582
Though I must admit, I've been enjoying how my Hemps sound with Grado L-cush pads. It's totally different from stock, but still really enjoyable to me. If this is generally what other Grados like the RS2e and GH4 sound like, then I think I'll have to get one of those at some point to compliment my Hemps.

This kind of confuses me. If a pad swap is all it takes to make one Grado sound like a different one, then wouldn’t that mean the big factors like the wooden chamber are really just aesthetic?

Will F pads make an RS2e sound like a Hemp and will L pads make a Hemp sound like an RS2e? Because if so, wouldn’t that mean the headphones are functionally the same and the differences amount to them looking cool in different ways?

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #46,607 of 65,582
This is due to the F-cush pads being so thin and holding the driver closer to your ear. When I put an L-cush style pad on my Hemps I have to turn it up to get the same volume as with the F-cush pads.
Except the SR60 has an S cushion, which is also very thin, like the F. I do expereince the same. The HEMP is more sensitive.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #46,608 of 65,582
This kind of confuses me. If a pad swap is all it takes to make one Grado sound like a different one, then wouldn’t that mean the big factors like the wooden chamber are really just aesthetic?

Will F pads make an RS2e sound like a Hemp and will L pads make a Hemp sound like an RS2e? Because if so, wouldn’t that mean the headphones are functionally the same and the differences amount to them looking cool in different ways?

Each Grado model is tuned for the pads it comes with. That's not to say that some people won't be happy with a pad change.

P.S.: Tried The White with L pads today and it sounds pretty good with them. It's still better with the G pads.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #46,609 of 65,582
I just realized that my Hemp play louder than my SR60.

How does that make sense?

Both have an SPL of 98 the Hemp have a slightly higher impedance of 38 vs 32. And yet I have to turn down the volume on my amp when switching from the SR60 to the Hemp because the Hemp play louder.
I think they are louder because the stock flat pads on the Hemp place the drivers closer to the ear.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #46,610 of 65,582

Both models with the same pads do sound very similar. Using L pads on both, the highs of the RS2e extended more and sounded airier, while the mids and the bass seemed identical to me.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #46,611 of 65,582
So you decided to keep the MAD? What changed?
There was very little interest from any buyers. It is kind of a one-trick pony. It does the Grado's amazingly and was very good with the Meze 99's, which I sold.
When I got the Violectric amp I was super impressed with its power and versatility. It is Amazing with the Grado's! So, I thought to move the one trick pony. But then I decided that I would lose too much money on the move and I do enjoy the sound. So I am not selling any more stuff. :ksc75smile:

Just going for max variety now.
20210326_091339~2.jpg

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #46,613 of 65,582

I haven't personally heard the RS2e or GH4. My point was that I liked how the Hemps sounded with the L-cush pads and it made me want to try the other more "traditional" sounding Grados.

Like paraphernalia said, each model is tuned for the pad it comes with. This is most evident with the PS500e, which has the same L-cush pads as many other models, but has a very different looking bass response (from the graphs I've seen).

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #46,614 of 65,582
So my latest piece of gear I've been able to try the HEMP on is the DNA STARLETT in XLR balanced mode

The DNA Starlett reduced a bit of bass overemphasis I was experiencing with the Liquid Platinum and restored some of the high end missing I was complaining about.

I am not complaining about the liquid platinum though, as it cost 1/4 of what the Starlett costs. But it is notable that the Hemp did scale with the better amp. It still definitely shows its limitations in ultimate resolution - but for some masters this may be preferable. Remains a great choice for synthwave, for example.

demo track of the day for Hemp, does a great job with the dirty psychedelic basslines and driving beat:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #46,615 of 65,582
You're correct in that there isn't much, but that's not because it's difficult, it's because it's not in the interests of those who have the cash available to conduct that sort of objective testing. The hifi "industry" is largely built on subjective influence (like fashion) not science. The little amounts of science are carefully managed and drip fed wherever it can have a positive impact. From a technical standpoint, it's not particularly challenging, but who would pay for it?
I'm not sure it's not challenging. Sure, people can measure fixed waveforms. I don't know that anybody knows how to measure music, much less define it.

Anyway, the Chifi industry is largely built on specs with no regard to sound quality. Science and music is like science and art. They don't go together, no matter how much some people wish they did.

I don't plan to spend any more time discussing this but I did want to say I don't agree with what you wrote. And if you say more about it and I don't respond, it does not mean I accept your argument. It just means I don't care to argue about it :)

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #46,616 of 65,582
I'm not sure it's not challenging. Sure, people can measure fixed waveforms. I don't know that anybody knows how to measure music, much less define it.

Anyway, the Chifi industry is largely built on specs with no regard to sound quality. Science and music is like science and art. They don't go together, no matter how much some people wish they did.

I don't plan to spend any more time discussing this but I did want to say I don't agree with what you wrote. And if you say more about it and I don't respond, it does not mean I accept your argument. It just means I don't care to argue about it :)
All it takes is 30 minutes and a stack of similarly measuring headphones amps to find out the specs/science "it all sounds the same" claims are a bunch of BS. Sadly in the day of most people shopping online, no one actually does this type of basic experiment anymore.

I am sure some with good intentions are measuring something, but it's not what we ultimately hear.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #46,617 of 65,582
Noooo
They're not the ones! These are what you want for Hemps. Treble lift just like Grado should be but with all the bass impact :

Aka Geekria LL pads. They have a chamfer, the foam is much softer than the stock pads and also most of the Geekria pads; their L pad copy is almost identical to the Grado OEM version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155XZJ4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_DSDRFS0CQFM0AQ28HZ2R
It's been a while, so I pulled out my geekria LL pads and gave them a try again and I think you're right. These are probably the best sounding alternative to the stock pads if you need more comfort. They are a bit wider, a bit less impactful, and a bit less lush in the mids, but they have that extra touch of treble and still keep a lot of what makes the hemp special.

The Geekria G-cush pads are probably the best option for an "over ear" kind if fit if you really need that and the geekria hole punch pads are still the closest to stock, albeit with not quite as good quality sound as stock or LL.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #46,618 of 65,582
Using wood is, of course, aesthetic.

The HD800S are regarding as some of the best headphones you can buy and have zero wood. $3900 Focal Utopia - no wood... $59,000 Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1? No wood either.

The manufacturer may need to tune the headphone/driver differently to accommodate using woods, and differently again depending on type of wood - but the choice to use wood in the first place is an aesthetic one IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #46,619 of 65,582

No two different headphones are ever going to sound the same. Every single thing you change on a headphone or musical instrument will inherently change the sound. The Hemp is made out of hemp and the RS2e is made out of wood, that is a HUGE difference in how the driver will resonate in its chamber. Yes, having the same pad will make them more alike, but a pad will never simply make two totally different headphones sound the same.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #46,620 of 65,582
Using wood is, of course, aesthetic.

The HD800S are regarding as some of the best headphones you can buy and have zero wood. $3900 Focal Utopia - no wood... $59,000 Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1? No wood either.

The manufacturer may need to tune the headphone/driver differently to accommodate using woods, and differently again depending on type of wood - but the choice to use wood in the first place is an aesthetic one IMO.
Totally disagree with this. If the HD800s was made of wood, it would sound like a TOTALLY different headphone. Same with any of the expensive headphones you've listed. Just because a top flight headphone omits the use wood, doesn't mean that wood does not have an impact on and change the sound. Sennheiser, Focal, and others don't use wood because wood won't get them the sound that they want to achieve. If a violin was made out of plastic or carbon fiber, it would have a completely different sound signature and tonality. Same with headphones. The cabinet, or sound chamber that the driver resonates in has a resonant frequency. Wood has a different resonant characteristic than any plastic and vice versa. To say that wood is simply for aesthetic purposes is completely ignorant statement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back