Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #46,576 of 65,692
RS1e vs GS1000e Vs GS200e Vs GS 3000e

I have/had a number Grado’s over the years. Today my favorites are the Hemp and RS1e. I’d like to add to my collection and am considering the 3 mentioned above as upgrade to the RS1e. I would appreciate thoughts and comments on the differences between my 3 choices.

thanks! Really appreciate it.
Leo

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #46,577 of 65,692
RS1e vs GS1000e Vs GS200e Vs GS 3000e

I have/had a number Grado’s over the years. Today my favorites are the Hemp and RS1e. I’d like to add to my collection and am considering the 3 mentioned above as upgrade to the RS1e. I would appreciate thoughts and comments on the differences between my 3 choices.

thanks! Really appreciate it.
Leo
I'm beginning to think that the holy trinity is something like this:

Sr60e
Hemp / RS2e
GS3ke

The 325e is in there too, it's a bonkers good transducer.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #46,578 of 65,692
I’m not versed in the Grado pads which are these ? Sorry haven’t posted a pic in a while and didn’t do what I wanted.
Those would be the L-Cush. I am not a fan of them on the Hemp at all, but they work on the sr225e.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #46,579 of 65,692
Those would be the L-Cush. I am not a fan of them on the Hemp at all, but they work on the sr225e.
Now I know what to call them thanks. I do not care for the stock flat pads as it is like not having a pad at all for me.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #46,580 of 65,692
Now I know what to call them thanks. I do not care for the stock flat pads as it is like not having a pad at all for me.

You are not the only one -- I hate them too. Some people absolutely love them though. Freedom of choice is what you got...

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #46,581 of 65,692
You are not the only one -- I hate them too. Some people absolutely love them though. Freedom of choice is what you got...
Comfort-wise? Oh god the stock pads are a turd sandwich. The thing is, none of the others sound as good to my ears. So I just put up with it LOL.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #46,582 of 65,692
Comfort-wise? Oh god the stock pads are a turd sandwich. The thing is, none of the others sound as good to my ears. So I just put up with it LOL.
I actually liked how the old flat pad sounded on the Hemp that I have done some experiments with flats on some my other mid range Grado’s. These are the same pads that were used on the Joseph Grado Signature HP1000 models and John Grado’s first flagship the original RS-1 both of which I have.

After a few weeks of playing around comparing both my current RS-1e and PS-500e are now sporting original Grado flats and I am enjoying them very much.
Here was a definite example where careful fine tuning of the fit & placement on my ears gave me better performance and a comfortable fit (light pressure usually part of that adjustment).

Just an as I hear it situation that I recommend. Perhaps a little experimentation regarding pressure, fit and exact placement might yield you some good results.

Enjoy......

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #46,583 of 65,692

Yeah. I know they sound good, but comfort sucks. Actually, L pads are not that great either. I use some covers which fit L pads perfectly and now I'm in Grado heaven (for years I had a love-hate relationship with my SR325 because of the comfort issue).

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #46,584 of 65,692
Well, the hemps sure are fun!
Seen some different opinions about pad choices, bought some Geekria large (model number EJZ-0047-04).
But these requires me to bend the headband in quite a bit, anyone here tried this combo?
As im satisfied with the stock ones, they will have to do for the time being.

How these handle lows are the most impressive part for me thus far, just so playful and still crisp.
Nice addition to the rotation.
I've tried those pads on the Hemp. They are pretty good, but I still very much prefer the stock pads. So far, no other pad has kept the lush magical sound of the Hemp. If you absolutely CAN'T deal with the stock pads, the pads you mentioned are probably your best option.

I also like these. They don't sound quite as good as the stock pads, but they sound the closest. They are still on ear but are a much softer and more comfortable foam.
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Repl...2EXQF2RSREF&psc=1&refRID=6YF6RH0G42EXQF2RSREF

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #46,585 of 65,692
I've tried those pads on the Hemp. They are pretty good, but I still very much prefer the stock pads. So far, no other pad has kept the lush magical sound of the Hemp. If you absolutely CAN'T deal with the stock pads, the pads you mentioned are probably your best option.

I also like these. They don't sound quite as good as the stock pads, but they sound the closest. They are still on ear but are a much softer and more comfortable foam.
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Repl...2EXQF2RSREF&psc=1&refRID=6YF6RH0G42EXQF2RSREF
Noooo
They're not the ones! These are what you want for Hemps. Treble lift just like Grado should be but with all the bass impact :

Aka Geekria LL pads. They have a chamfer, the foam is much softer than the stock pads and also most of the Geekria pads; their L pad copy is almost identical to the Grado OEM version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155XZJ4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_DSDRFS0CQFM0AQ28HZ2R

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #46,586 of 65,692
If it’s a parafeed design, presumably it has output transformers (i.e. not OTL).
I never said It was an OTL amp, just that it is a tube amp. It is a SET design

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #46,587 of 65,692
I just realized that my Hemp play louder than my SR60.

How does that make sense?

Both have an SPL of 98 the Hemp have a slightly higher impedance of 38 vs 32. And yet I have to turn down the volume on my amp when switching from the SR60 to the Hemp because the Hemp play louder.

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #46,589 of 65,692
I just realized that my Hemp play louder than my SR60.

How does that make sense?

Both have an SPL of 98 the Hemp have a slightly higher impedance of 38 vs 32. And yet I have to turn down the volume on my amp when switching from the SR60 to the Hemp because the Hemp play louder.
It seems like, for me, boosted bass can make something feel louder at the same absolute volume level. So the extra bass in the Hemps might account for it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back