Grado Fan Club!
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #46,246 of 65,841
listening to Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker (streaming qobuz) right now on Hemps and just have to say how much it just sounds like I'm right there in the studio. Voice is perfectly center and vibrantly present with guitar with such a tactile articulation. Drums have an impact that is so real but not fatiguing in any way. I have to say that these are the most un hi-fi sounding headphones - just totally organic. A/B'd vs my former fav Beyer t1 and in many ways the t1's are technically superior (just more resolution, detail, transparency), but just less enjoyable. Hemps the best 420 I've spent. Cheers.
This is the exact feeling I get, too. Some headphones make you feel like you're in a big symphony hall, some make you feel like you're up front in a small venue. I vastly prefer the latter and the Hemp delivers. When I'm at a show, I'm right by the stage and the amps. I want there to be a physicality to the instruments.

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #46,248 of 65,841
Ordered some DT 1770 🤠
Many says theyr are forward like Grado
DT1770 goes very well together with Grados - but are different in many ways. I enjoy switching between them when I need a closed headphone and when open ones are OK. And there is no adjustment time needed. I can appreciate the sound of either right away.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #46,249 of 65,841
Ordered some DT 1770 🤠
Many says theyr are forward like Grado
Beyers are really nothing like Grados. Antiseptic German precision vs American Soul . That being said, I greatly prefer my t1s with well recorded Classical.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #46,250 of 65,841
I had the DT177x for a bit and would 100% pick them up again for just that reason. They're a great complement.

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #46,251 of 65,841
Beyers are really nothing like Grados. Antiseptic German precision vs American Soul .
Agreed fully. But that's part of why Beyer is awesome and why I think they fit together. Both ARE quite "aggressive" but in very different ways. One is a V-shaped full sized closed-back that almost blankets you with the sound, the other a more neutral-sounding on ear open that feels spacious but up close. They make a good pairing because, while both sounding enjoyable for similar reasons, neither one is stepping on the others' toes.

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #46,252 of 65,841
I like both 🤪
But i sold my amiron. Too boooring.
hope DT 1770 is more in your face.

this guy say so:

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #46,253 of 65,841
Can't speak in the DT1770 per se, but the 177X was definitely a "turn the volume up higher and higher" kinda headphone.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #46,254 of 65,841
Beyers are really nothing like Grados. Antiseptic German precision vs American Soul . That being said, I greatly prefer my t1s with well recorded Classical.
911 versus Corvette...

Both have their merits.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #46,255 of 65,841
After modding my DT770s with a detachable cable and adding Dekoni Velours/Hybrid pads I ended up keeping them and the Grado Hemps and let the Sennheisers go to family/friends. I quite like the 770s after a pad swap, it increases the distance between the ear and the driver and you can either get a better seal (leather pads) or reduce the bass(velour + increase driver distance). Reducing the bass makes them much less V shaped.

Sennheisers seemed like a middle ground between the beyers and the grados and I could never get the clamp to where I liked it, well after I had bought them too. Compared to the beyers and Grado Hemps the bass was awful (58X, 6XX, and I owned 580s a long time ago), soundstage was close but without the dynamics of the Hemp. Hemp and Beyers both sound great with all the genres I like, whereas the Sennheiers seemed run of the mill with metal, and distorted with bassy music. Much more amp dependent too with the 6XX. Just seemed like a niche headphone compared to my other stuff, which to some is either a boon or a negative. For me, that's a negative.

So, Beyers and Hemps for me. Mind you I am not a fan of the DT770 with the stock pads at all for whatever reason. Some say the stock are the only ones that sound good. Unlike the SEnnheisers or Grados, a pad swap didn't completely alter the mids for me. The mids are masked by bass/treble, I think people pad swapping are just finally hearing them with the beyers and they prefer the fun V shape instead.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #46,256 of 65,841
I like both 🤪
But i sold my amiron. Too boooring.
hope DT 1770 is more in your face.

this guy say so:

Get really annoyed when people refer to Zeo...the dude has sh%# for ears.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #46,257 of 65,841
Not always.but sometimes he is lost in space 😛

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #46,258 of 65,841
Get really annoyed when people refer to Zeo...the dude has sh%# for ears.
He's obviously really enthusiastic and passionate about the hobby but he's an absolutely F-tier "reviewer". Videos are way too goddam long, he spends most of it rambling, barely says anything terribly informative, most of it is just kinda going on about his opinion, and I don't believe he's any good at giving an effective assessment of how something sounds.

Being a good reviewer isn't about having "the right opinion." Some of the best critics have had the worst takes. It's about being able to incisively recognize what you're experiencing from the product and relate it to your audience. A good reviewer will have you 100% disagreeing with them and going "yeah but that thing you talked about there is what I like about it." A bad reviewer has you going "what that's not what it's like at all." A good reviewer might give a headphone a bad review because it's really bassy or the soundstage is small or the clamp is too tight and someone goes "that's exactly what I'm looking for." A bad reviewer really likes that headphone so they say "it sounds really neutral and natural, the soundstage is plenty big, and it's secure without being tight" and someone who likes the product goes "wow okay I love these headphones but that's not what they're like at all."

That's why Z and so many like him annoy me. Not because their opinions are right or wrong, but because they're completely unreliable when it comes to having a clue what it's gonna sound like. Tyll was amazing at that. Even if you disagreed with him, you knew what you were getting from a headphone from his reviews.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #46,259 of 65,841
Agreed. I won't stir the pot anymore on cables/pads/whatever. The point of this thread is to gush about the headphones, not pick fights. That's on me, and apologies to all. Honestly.

SO ANYWAY, here's what happened when I tried the Hemp, sr225e, and sr80 with the F-Cush, L-Cush, and Geekria "comfort" pads. I didn't use the s-cush because ew no.

Geekria w/ Hemp: Softened, less immediate. More comfortable for sure, but the bass went up in a sort of "poofy" way (if you'll forgive the technical term). The overall sound is relaxed but less engaging. I think the occlusion of the speaker due to the opening being a smaller diameter it funnels the bass more, causing that bloomy effect.

Geekria w/ SR80: Oh baby. Opening the middle up brought them some extra energy compared to the all-over pad and I am a big fan this time. For under $100 this is absolutely stellar. I cannot find any faults in these at this price point. Honestly this just makes me want to get louder and louer and louder.

Geekria w/ SR225e: And here we see the opposite effect! Going with the flats here brought some extra bass out and tamed the treble energy. Similar effect to what happened on the Hemp. I think if you're someone who listens to music at a high volume or has a fondness for anything with digital production, this is a winning combo.

F-Cush w/ SR80: Once again, the added treble energy helps out, but the low end is still pretty damn good. If I had to recommend the SR80, though, I'd say to stick with the Geekria. There's a loss of fullness and (to my ears) the SR80 doesn't have the raw finesse so it isn't quite as fun.

F-Cush w/ SR225e: This is VERY intriguing. The sr225e has a bit of a "delicate" sound by default and that is ALL gone here. This combo is in your face, damn near aggressive about it (and I mean that in a good way). The bass is more potent, mids feel more alive. This would be my preferred pad on these just going off of the sound. This does come at the expense of the airspace effect, but that's just for personal preferences.

L-Cush w/ Hemp: No thank you. Far too polite. Bass is pulled back, the "oomph" is gone. That's all I got to say.

L-Cush w/ sr80: Everything feels so distant. There's a ton of space, but it really does sound like I'm listening to the sr80 "at a distance." I think for people who aren't a big fan of bass but want a cost effective "Grado sound," this would be the one to do. The issue here is that the sr80 isn't nearly as smooth across the spectrum so having all the extra mid/treble energy makes the music harder to listen to. For me.

I was worried I just didn't like the 225 pads, but I put them back on the 225e and I think they work on that model. The 225e is a more refined headphone than the 80 so it benefits from pulling back and letting the higher frequencies breathe.

For overall ranking, taking everything into account like price and the general character of the headphone, and just my PERSONAL feelings:

Hemp w/ F (by far)
sr80 w/ Geekria (budget king)
sr225e w/ F
sr225e w/ L
Hemp w/ Geekria (to sacrifice some sound for comfort)
sr80 w/ F
sr225e w/ Geekria
sr80 w/ L
Hemp w/ L (it doesn't "sound worst" but you lose what makes the Hemp what it is)

Songs used:
Chevelle - Piistol Star
RATM - Bulls on Parade
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
Nirvana - Lake of Fire
Deftones - Digital Bath

It's funny that the Hemp is both the winner, the dead center, AND the loser, but I think that's because the Hemp with stock is just so ridiculously good that spoiling its sound hurts my soul a little bit. I would wager for a lot of people the Hemp w/ Geekria might be their number one. It's definitely mega comfy and pretty damn excellent, it just doesn't have that "punch in the face" quality that makes the Hemp so damn good, to me. Meanwhile the sr225E seemed to do all right with everything, depending on what you want, and the sr80 is just a total "yes get these and get them for everyone you know" with the Geekria pads.
FWIW: I completely agree with the SR80 + L Geekria = super combo and for the Hemps, the stock pads are just the best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back