Grado Fan Club!
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #46,216 of 66,291
Cables are cables, they ain't gonna sound any different unless you're just using something so low quality the signal gets interrupted. I guarantee you a cable mod on the Hemp would not change the sound remotely as long as it's done right.

That's just not true. Different cables can (and often do) sound different. If you don't want to "believe" in that then fine. Maybe you are blessed enough to no hear those differences. It's probably a reason to be happy, saves you a lot of time and money :)

Especially if you have to solder the new cables i would be very careful with that as you can't just switch them afterwards. If at all solder a socket into the headphones so you can try different cables.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #46,217 of 66,291
That's just not true. Different cables can (and often do) sound different. If you don't want to "believe" in that then fine. Maybe you are blessed enough to no hear those differences. It's probably a reason to be happy, saves you a lot of time and money :)

Especially if you have to solder the new cables i would be very careful with that as you can't just switch them afterwards. If at all solder a socket into the headphones so you can try different cables.
Cables having any real change in the sound is like burn-in and MQA. You'll find that the people who insist that it works are people who have money tied up in it. Placebo is a wild thing.

Swapping pads will have a real change on the sound, far far more than cables.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #46,218 of 66,291
Cables having any real change in the sound is like burn-in and MQA. You'll find that the people who insist that it works are people who have money tied up in it. Placebo is a wild thing.

You are wrong. If i had a set of different cables and i got used to their sound i would be able to tell which cable is which just by listening to them. This also goes for *shock horror* digital cables.

What is true is that you can get used to any sound profile of a headphone or amp or cables. After a while you will be happy with what you have.

But let's not start #cablegate here, you don't hear a difference between cables and i kinda envy you for that.

I agree that swapping pads often changes the sound in a drastic way. More than most cables. It's more subtle for cables. But it's there.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #46,219 of 66,291

+1

This:
  1. Heaphones/Speakers
  2. Amp
  3. DAC
  4. Earpads/tubes (Earpads could also be number 3 with some brands)
  5. A good bottle of Scotch instead of the cable kool-aid :wink:🥃
I think some of you guys should read this article: https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/mind-over-music

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #46,220 of 66,291
So if i have two cables and i switch back and forth and one has more bass it's all in my mind, consistently?

And what is wrong with MQA? That's just a kind of zipped hires-file? You don't believe in hires files either? (I have no MQA hardware)

And if my Grado White sounded muffled when i got it and i let it burn in for 24 hours (without listening to it) and the next day it sounds notably better that's make believe? All the people who say burn-in works are morons? Even Grado themselves say a burn-in time of 50 hours is advisable.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #46,222 of 66,291
So if i have two cables and i switch back and forth and one has more bass it's all in my mind, consistently?

And what is wrong with MQA? That's just a kind of zipped hires-file? You don't believe in hires files either? (I have no MQA hardware)

And if my Grado White sounded muffled when i got it and i let it burn in for 24 hours (without listening to it) and the next day it sounds notably better that's make believe? All the people who say burn-in works are morons? Even Grado themselves say a burn-in time of 50 hours is advisable.

I’m sceptical about burning-in cables.

Headphone drivers, however, are mechanical systems with moving parts. The elasticity/flexibility of driver suspension will change with repeated use (and changes in temperature). These changes may be small, but they are real...

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #46,223 of 66,291
I’m sceptical about burning-in cables.

Headphone drivers, however, are mechanical systems with moving parts. The elasticity/flexibility of driver suspension will change with repeated use (and changes in temperature). These changes may be small, but they are real...

Yeah i wouldn't insist that burning in cables makes a whole lot of difference. But different cables sound different, some sound more different than others but there is often a noticable difference in bass and treble. That's also why i wouldn't want to change the original cables of a Grado because the guys tuned them with these exact cables in mind.

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #46,224 of 66,291
I agree.

They have a specific impedance and (critically) capacitance. Changing those parameters, however slightly, will change the sound.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #46,226 of 66,291
Congrats :wink:

Can you do me a favor and try the Hemp pads on the 225e?
I also snagged those Geekria flats because I was curious (the ones with the hole but no bowl shape). Impressions incoming once I swap 'em all aroudn.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #46,227 of 66,291
OMG digital cables sounding different... what is happening on this board...

Well, yes, it does.

I wrote a detailed review about how my Topping D90 DAC behaves with USB cables. This was certainly not placebo. This was audible noise when nothing was playing, and after audio was sent. That's why I switched to an optical cable. As for Grado's cables, I can force static on my SR225i by placing my cellphone on top of its 4-conductor cable and enabling mobile hotspot tethering. It emits enough interference for me to hear it. This doesn't happen on my GS3000e. Whether it's because it uses the 12-conductor cable or I have it balanced, who knows. What I do know is that it works.

I don't subscribe to the 4-digit ultra-expensive cable nonsense that promises increased clarity, but I think spending smartly to eliminate noise for good is worthwhile.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #46,229 of 66,291
I think we should stop these discussions about the cables. It's always ending in a blood bath..

No, we can be better than this.

You know i recently got a 50 bucks optical cable for my TV / Soundbar / Subwoofer. I hear optical cables are prone to jitter. And the cable i had before was not glass but plastic fibers. Well the new one was glass and had more fibers. The difference was surprising. I hadn't really expected much but i had to readjust the treble and bass of the sound system because i suddenly had more bass and treble. When i had gotten back to a level i found enjoyable i noticed i had gotten better dynamic. Shots and bangs and whatnot in movies made me startle which had hardly ever happened before.

It's ok if you say the sound just changed and it doesn't have to be for the better. But many cables do change the sound.

I have similar experiences with USB cables. It's not always night and day but there can be differences. But i will really stop now. Everyone who is interested in this topic can contact me or try himself or ignore this.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #46,230 of 66,291
Agreed. I won't stir the pot anymore on cables/pads/whatever. The point of this thread is to gush about the headphones, not pick fights. That's on me, and apologies to all. Honestly.

SO ANYWAY, here's what happened when I tried the Hemp, sr225e, and sr80 with the F-Cush, L-Cush, and Geekria "comfort" pads. I didn't use the s-cush because ew no.

Geekria w/ Hemp: Softened, less immediate. More comfortable for sure, but the bass went up in a sort of "poofy" way (if you'll forgive the technical term). The overall sound is relaxed but less engaging. I think the occlusion of the speaker due to the opening being a smaller diameter it funnels the bass more, causing that bloomy effect.

Geekria w/ SR80: Oh baby. Opening the middle up brought them some extra energy compared to the all-over pad and I am a big fan this time. For under $100 this is absolutely stellar. I cannot find any faults in these at this price point. Honestly this just makes me want to get louder and louer and louder.

Geekria w/ SR225e: And here we see the opposite effect! Going with the flats here brought some extra bass out and tamed the treble energy. Similar effect to what happened on the Hemp. I think if you're someone who listens to music at a high volume or has a fondness for anything with digital production, this is a winning combo.

F-Cush w/ SR80: Once again, the added treble energy helps out, but the low end is still pretty damn good. If I had to recommend the SR80, though, I'd say to stick with the Geekria. There's a loss of fullness and (to my ears) the SR80 doesn't have the raw finesse so it isn't quite as fun.

F-Cush w/ SR225e: This is VERY intriguing. The sr225e has a bit of a "delicate" sound by default and that is ALL gone here. This combo is in your face, damn near aggressive about it (and I mean that in a good way). The bass is more potent, mids feel more alive. This would be my preferred pad on these just going off of the sound. This does come at the expense of the airspace effect, but that's just for personal preferences.

L-Cush w/ Hemp: No thank you. Far too polite. Bass is pulled back, the "oomph" is gone. That's all I got to say.

L-Cush w/ sr80: Everything feels so distant. There's a ton of space, but it really does sound like I'm listening to the sr80 "at a distance." I think for people who aren't a big fan of bass but want a cost effective "Grado sound," this would be the one to do. The issue here is that the sr80 isn't nearly as smooth across the spectrum so having all the extra mid/treble energy makes the music harder to listen to. For me.

I was worried I just didn't like the 225 pads, but I put them back on the 225e and I think they work on that model. The 225e is a more refined headphone than the 80 so it benefits from pulling back and letting the higher frequencies breathe.

For overall ranking, taking everything into account like price and the general character of the headphone, and just my PERSONAL feelings:

Hemp w/ F (by far)
sr80 w/ Geekria (budget king)
sr225e w/ F
sr225e w/ L
Hemp w/ Geekria (to sacrifice some sound for comfort)
sr80 w/ F
sr225e w/ Geekria
sr80 w/ L
Hemp w/ L (it doesn't "sound worst" but you lose what makes the Hemp what it is)

Songs used:
Chevelle - Piistol Star
RATM - Bulls on Parade
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
Nirvana - Lake of Fire
Deftones - Digital Bath

It's funny that the Hemp is both the winner, the dead center, AND the loser, but I think that's because the Hemp with stock is just so ridiculously good that spoiling its sound hurts my soul a little bit. I would wager for a lot of people the Hemp w/ Geekria might be their number one. It's definitely mega comfy and pretty damn excellent, it just doesn't have that "punch in the face" quality that makes the Hemp so damn good, to me. Meanwhile the sr225E seemed to do all right with everything, depending on what you want, and the sr80 is just a total "yes get these and get them for everyone you know" with the Geekria pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back