Grado Fan Club!
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #45,961 of 65,633
Love my Hemps and HF3. Very similar aesthetics (small, lightweight, light wood) and very complementary sounds.

They do sound substantially different, nearly being the inverse of each other. Hemp has a warmer tone and extends more viscerally into the bass, whereas HF3 is leaner in the lower registers with a more refined presence in the upper mids and an airy treble. As resolution seems broadly equal, I agree that owning both could make sense

I have found HF3 more responsive to pad rolling, so if you wanted to save some money and only buy one then it is more versatile in that way. However, the tuning of the Hemp comes across as more of a crowd pleaser with a wider array of music and it would be my go-to recommendation for most people. Its popularity is warranted

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #45,962 of 65,633
PXL_20210310_104555703.jpg

The HF3 is fine light weight headphone. Really like it, but...the others have a fuller sound (bass, mids, highs)

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #45,963 of 65,633
Hey does anyone know ANYTHING about the Black Label? I can't find a damn thing about them. Not where they're for sale, no reviews, nothing. But I am so, so intrigued.
Hi. I saw them on a chinese website forsale when they were realesed, but couldnt afford them then. If someone got a pair of Black label 1 forsale,please contact me.. I have a pair of Gs2000e we can put in the deal..

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #45,964 of 65,633
I actually contacted Grado about the Black Label 1/2, availability, etc. I swear on my life this was the entire response they sent back: "get a GS1000e, a much better headphone"

This might be my favorite response to an inquiry ever. I like it so much that I'm stupidly tempted to try and save up for one of their big boys now. Possibly a GS3000e or GH4?

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #45,965 of 65,633
I've upgraded my RS1e's with the Black Dragon cables. Definitely warms them up a bit, but they won't eliminate all the "spikiness". Incremental improvement, not perfection

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #45,966 of 65,633
I actually contacted Grado about the Black Label 1/2, availability, etc. I swear on my life this was the entire response they sent back: "get a GS1000e, a much better headphone"

This might be my favorite response to an inquiry ever. I like it so much that I'm stupidly tempted to try and save up for one of their big boys now. Possibly a GS3000e or GH4?

That would be cute if they just offhandedly admitted that the GS2000e (which the BL2 seemed to have been modelled after) was a mistake. (It's still their best-looking headphone ever, but urrrgh the tuning!)

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #45,967 of 65,633
I received my "Deluxe" flat pads from Todd this morning. I'm listening to the Hemps right now with them. They seem to have slightly more thickness. They do seem slightly more comfortable than the standard pads that ship with the Hemps. That being said, it can all be in my mind. Regardless, TTVJ is a great company due to their commitment to our community and to all of their customers. They have 2 types of flat pads for the Hemp. The standard is from what I can see an Identical copy of the original, and as mentioned the deluxe has slightly more cushion.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #45,968 of 65,633
Nice! I'm waiting for Shipibo to get the black blocks and gimbals back in stock for my RS2e. I can see your gimbals are the "slim" version -- are your rod blocks the slim version as well?? Kinda looks like it. I am probably leaning toward the normal size for both just for the slightly more "heft" appearance.
Here is what I ordered.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #45,969 of 65,633
I received my "Deluxe" flat pads from Todd this morning. I'm listening to the Hemps right now with them. They seem to have slightly more thickness. They do seem slightly more comfortable than the standard pads that ship with the Hemps. That being said, it can all be in my mind. Regardless, TTVJ is a great company due to their commitment to our community and to all of their customers. They have 2 types of flat pads for the Hemp. The standard is from what I can see an Identical copy of the original, and as mentioned the deluxe has slightly more cushion.
Thanks for this observation. My vintage Rs1 are in need of flat pads so I emailed 4OurEars out of curiosity to see if they sell the pads. Rich Grado responded and said they currently don't have them for sale but they will soon!
I'm wondering what the price of the Grado flat pads will be vs ttvj.
I'm still tempted my the deluxe pads but at $60 is a bitter pill to swallow considering I really don't use my Rs1 much at all.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #45,970 of 65,633
That would be cute if they just offhandedly admitted that the GS2000e (which the BL2 seemed to have been modelled after) was a mistake. (It's still their best-looking headphone ever, but urrrgh the tuning!)
The fact that they flat-out said the GS1000e is much better kinda tells me that's exactly what they think lol. Otherwise they'd have said "well the GS2000e is very similar, try that."

I love that kind of honesty in a company. When they'll say exactly what they think for better or worse. It makes me feel like I can 100% trust their recommendations since they're not just trying to sell me whatever.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #45,971 of 65,633
Since there are a lot of people in this thread who are super knowledgeable about Grado’s lineup and history, have you guys considered perhaps putting together a Google Doc that lists the entire lineup, prices, sound descriptions, and so on?

That kind of information doesn’t seem to be available anywhere besides among the actual hardcore Grado fans, and we clearly have a lot of them in this thread.

I think that kind of spreadsheet would be of interest to a lot of people.
Not sure where it is , but in this forum grado thread , a chap who has about 30 grado did do a comparison spec sheet . Well worth looking for . If I find it I'll get back to you .

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #45,972 of 65,633
Not sure where it is , but in this forum grado thread , a chap who has about 30 grado did do a comparison spec sheet . Well worth looking for . If I find it I'll get back to you .
@ruthieandjohn did those comparisons and I believe the thread is on his signature. @devouringone3 did a history of Grado thread somewhere you can look up. I'm on my mobile so I can't really look it up right now, sorry.
Edit: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/full-grado-labs-history.616052/

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #45,973 of 65,633

Yeah, I think you’re referring to this thread from ruthieandjohn:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...ur-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

That’s an excellent resource but it’s not quite what I’m suggesting here because it’s essentially one person’s listening experience regarding the Grado headphones he owns.

I think ruthieandjohn’s information should absolutely be incorporated in this, but what I’m suggesting is more of a board-wide collaborative and objective resource rather than one person’s subjective views.

Let’s take his views and the views and knowledge of others like him and create a spreadsheet that lists every Grado headphone ever released, dates, prices, sound signatures, and general viewpoints and observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back