Grado Fan Club!
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #45,976 of 65,693
I think ruthieandjohn’s information should absolutely be incorporated in this, but what I’m suggesting is more of a board-wide collaborative and objective resource rather than one person’s subjective views.
The problem with this is that not many of us have heard (or owned) so many different Grado models. I can tell you how great the RS2e sounds, but I cant compare it to the RS2i or the RS2.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #45,977 of 65,693
The problem with this is that not many of us have heard (or owned) so many different Grado models. I can tell you how great the RS2e sounds, but I cant compare it to the RS2i or the RS2.

I think a comparison of the models of the last 5 years would go a long way as most Grado newbies probably won't want to buy an original RS1 or some lovable abomination like the Skittles Grado :D

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #45,978 of 65,693
I think a comparison of the models of the last 5 years would go a long way as most Grado newbies probably won't want to buy an original RS1 or some lovable abomination like the Skittles Grado :D
Agreed. Just starting out with what's currently commercially available would be fine. Adding some "legacy" items or limited editions that make the rounds on secondhand markets would be a nice bonus down the road.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #45,979 of 65,693
Agreed. Just starting out with what's currently commercially available would be fine. Adding some "legacy" items or limited editions that make the rounds on secondhand markets would be a nice bonus down the road.

So how do we go about that?

What is it that people want to know usually? Grado with least treble, Grado with most bass, most comfortable Grado...

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #45,980 of 65,693
So how do we go about that?

What is it that people want to know usually? Grado with least treble, Grado with most bass, most comfortable Grado...
My guess would be a general table? Just name, MSRP, fit, type, general description of sound...

I'm not pushing anyone to do this BTW, just tossing ideas out for anyone who wants to.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #45,981 of 65,693
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #45,982 of 65,693
ruthieandjohn's comparison charts are pretty impressive considering the time it took him to compare and catalogue his "findings". A couple of things that keep it from being very helpful to is that he only 2 or 3 at a time, and the comparisons are versus each other, not necessarily versus a fixed standard (if there can be such a thing). He measures several things that are quite subjective and fairly specific, and without hearing an example of these categories, I have no idea if I am tuning in to what he is describing.

Yeah, I think you’re referring to this thread from ruthieandjohn:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...ur-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

That’s an excellent resource but it’s not quite what I’m suggesting here because it’s essentially one person’s listening experience regarding the Grado headphones he owns.

I think ruthieandjohn’s information should absolutely be incorporated in this, but what I’m suggesting is more of a board-wide collaborative and objective resource rather than one person’s subjective views.

Let’s take his views and the views and knowledge of others like him and create a spreadsheet that lists every Grado headphone ever released, dates, prices, sound signatures, and general viewpoints and observations.
To make an overall Grado comparison chart, someone would probably have to use a DSP listening device like the EARS unit (https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ears-headphone-jig ) that can give consistent measurements, and feed the headphones with an uncolored source such as a component CD player.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #45,983 of 65,693
These are my first Grado's and I think I am in love. :beyersmile:

20210311_113534[1279].jpg

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #45,984 of 65,693
To make an overall Grado comparison chart, someone would probably have to use a DSP listening device like the EARS unit (https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ears-headphone-jig ) that can give consistent measurements, and feed the headphones with an uncolored source such as a component CD player.

That’s an idea for the future, but that’s beyond what I’m suggesting here.

We can start out with a chart that includes the hard facts and then a couple widely agreed upon listening notes. Things like:
  • Headphone model
  • Year
  • Price
  • Driver size
  • Weight
  • Cup material
  • Type of grill
  • Button or no button
  • Plastic or leather headband
  • Cup diameter
  • Pad type
  • Connector type
  • Cord length
  • Drivers Matched
  • Number of conductors in cable
  • And then various listening notes that are generally agreed upon, like which headphones are more bassy, which have more detail, which have sharper treble and so on and so forth.
That’s what I think the spreadsheet should start with. The measurements and more detailed listening notes can be added with time.

Start with the more concrete details and work outward from there.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #45,985 of 65,693
These are my first Grado's and I think I am in love. :beyersmile:

20210311_113534[1279].jpg
I have to say. I really love the white stitching on the headband. If I had the opportunity to choose, I'd take the white stitching over the black for the Hemps anyway.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #45,986 of 65,693
How many different drivers are they using today?

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #45,987 of 65,693
Grado could bring out a nice glossy magazine full with all there headphones, pictures, and info.... We would all buy one .

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #45,989 of 65,693
Grado could bring out a nice glossy magazine full with all there headphones, pictures, and info.... We would all buy one .
I would definitely buy it.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #45,990 of 65,693

Users who are viewing this thread

Back