Grado Fan Club!
Mar 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #45,946 of 65,633
Yeah i expected a treble overkill that would shred my ears. Treble is there for sure but it's surrounded by lots of midrange and bass. It's really like listening through a tube amp.

Maybe it's my 50 years old ears? Or the Chord Mojo? I am at 150 hours burn-in time. Will report back when i reached 200 hours. This headphone has changed its sound already twice during burn-in, so we'll see. But i doubt it will change much after so many hours.
I swear yinz are gonna make me end up with a whole rack of Grados...

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #45,947 of 65,633
Yeah i expected a treble overkill that would shred my ears. Treble is there for sure but it's surrounded by lots of midrange and bass. It's really like listening through a tube amp.

Maybe it's my 50 years old ears? Or the Chord Mojo? I am at 150 hours burn-in time. Will report back when i reached 200 hours. This headphone has changed its sound already twice during burn-in, so we'll see. But i doubt it will change much after so many hours.
I found the White too bright through the upper mids and treble and lacked bass power compared to the GH4 (which I own), both played through a Fiio K5 Pro. I don't doubt a better DAC/amp would produce better results, but I don't get the tube reference.
PS My ears are older than yours. :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #45,948 of 65,633
Hey does anyone know ANYTHING about the Black Label? I can't find a damn thing about them. Not where they're for sale, no reviews, nothing. But I am so, so intrigued.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #45,949 of 65,633
I found the White too bright through the upper mids and treble and lacked bass punch compared to the GH4 (which I own), both played through a Fiio K5 Pro. I don't doubt a better DAC/amp would produce better results, but I don't get the tube reference.
PS My ears are older than yours. :)

The bass does indeed lack a little punch, there is bass but it's a little muddy. But it's definitely not brighter than the PS500e. Overall the sound is very agreeable but also less detailed and warmer. Like through a tube amp.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #45,950 of 65,633
Hey does anyone know ANYTHING about the Black Label? I can't find a damn thing about them. Not where they're for sale, no reviews, nothing. But I am so, so intrigued.

The BL1/2 came out shortly after the Uncrate GS2000e, which used the same black-washed oak. They were only on 4OurEars for less a month in May 2018 before they were sold out. In terms of "available to the public" limited edition models and not the special one-offs, it's one of the rarest. The BL2 was $1495 vs the GS2000e at $1395, and I seriously considered it, but was afraid it'd be too similar to the GS2000e I owned at the time. Good thing I waited, because at the end of 2018, the GS3000e came out.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #45,951 of 65,633
Since there are a lot of people in this thread who are super knowledgeable about Grado’s lineup and history, have you guys considered perhaps putting together a Google Doc that lists the entire lineup, prices, sound descriptions, and so on?

That kind of information doesn’t seem to be available anywhere besides among the actual hardcore Grado fans, and we clearly have a lot of them in this thread.

I think that kind of spreadsheet would be of interest to a lot of people.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #45,952 of 65,633
Talks about his RS1, but tempted to look at the HD560s too. I had a dacmagic plus git several years, was a brilliant DAC, not so good headphone amp. The 200M might be different...

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #45,953 of 65,633
Hey everyone, I currently own a PS500e and contemplating either to upgrade the cables to moon audio black dragon to add warmth, or to get another grado can that sounds warmer. Any recommendations? I am currently using a Massdrop CTH and listen to mostly Tom Misch, Michael Buble, John Mayer, Daniel Caesar, Diana Krall.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #45,954 of 65,633
Hey everyone, I currently own a PS500e and contemplating either to upgrade the cables to moon audio black dragon to add warmth, or to get another grado can that sounds warmer. Any recommendations? I am currently using a Massdrop CTH and listen to mostly Tom Misch, Michael Buble, John Mayer, Daniel Caesar, Diana Krall.
Putting them in the microwave would be more effective at getting them warmer than changing the cable.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #45,958 of 65,633
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #45,959 of 65,633
I recently snagged a HF3 from @elvergun (excellent seller and helpful guy) on the heels of purchasing a Hemp from TTVJ. So I will be posting some more detailed impressions comparing these two headphones in the near future...

My original goal was to compare the HF3 with TTVJ’s Deluxe flat pads and the Hemp with its F-Cushion pads, then decide which I preferred between the two and put the model I preferred less on the classifieds. I will probably still do that but I am enjoying the HF3 with its L-Cushion pads more than I expected. Despite the bass and lower mids being lower in level than I’m used to, this upward slope (as I hear it) yields a rather engaging timbre that excels with jazz and acoustic guitar

Of course, none of that is news to Grado fans! But the Hemp and HF3 are my first experience with the brand, excluding an unfortunate demo with a PS500 years ago. Glad to report that I’m enjoying these two way more
Love my Hemps and HF3. Very similar aesthetics (small, lightweight, light wood) and very complementary sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back