Grado Fan Club!
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #45,916 of 65,552
Secondly, how is this even helpful? I'm still listening to this on my headphones. It's just double-coloring the sound and layering the frequency responses on top of each other. If you listen to this wearing a set of $10 earbuds you're still just hearing those earbuds. I don't get the point. This is like watching a recording of a monitor to see what it looks like.

Exactly. It's clickbait.

I've bought around ten different Grados and I have no idea how it's pronounced. I don't think it's really a big deal.

I'm certain that many people also struggle to pronounce these brands as well, depending on where in the world you come from:

- Schiit
- Meze
- Focal
- Audeze
- Audio-GD

Schiit - crap... lol (or: how to lose customers just by your name alone)
Meze - Me's
Focal - Focal.... uh it's a standard word
Audeze - Odd Ease
Audio-GD -... self explanatory

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #45,917 of 65,552
Schiit - crap... lol (or: how to lose customers just by your name alone)
Meze - Me's
Focal - Focal.... uh it's a standard word
Audeze - Odd Ease
Audio-GD -... self explanatory
Meze - Met-zay/Me's?
Focal - Folk-Al/Foh-Carl?
Audeze - Oddessy/Or Deez?
Audio-GD - Audio Gee Dee/Audio Guhd?

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #45,918 of 65,552
I’m more curious about the pronunciation of Hifiman.

I often hear reviewers place the emphasis on the “hi” and pronounce “man” as “minn”, as though it’s someone’s last name, thus giving the brand name a little bit of prestige.

But we all know it’s “hi-fi-man”, like the name of some crappy computer repair shop from the early 90s.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #45,919 of 65,552
I’m more curious about the pronunciation of Hifiman.

I often hear reviewers place the emphasis on the “hi” and pronounce “man” as “minn”, as though it’s someone’s last name, thus giving the brand name a little bit of prestige.

But we all know it’s “hi-fi-man”, like the name of some crappy computer repair shop from the early 90s.
Like the film series about a Jewish superhero from New York called Spiderman (Spider"minn")?

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #45,921 of 65,552
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #45,922 of 65,552
Mar 9, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #45,923 of 65,552
Who is Rich Grado, who is active in the Facebook Grado group? Is he family too, or just happens to have common surname?
Rich Grado is John Grado's younger brother. He runs 4ourears which is the official Grado store: https://4ourears.com/

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #45,924 of 65,552
I've bought around ten different Grados and I have no idea how it's pronounced. I don't think it's really a big deal.

I'm certain that many people also struggle to pronounce these brands as well, depending on where in the world you come from:

- Schiit
- Meze
- Focal
- Audeze
- Audio-GD
Dude. That's different if you're just sitting at home buying stuff. All that matters for you is that you have a product you like. That's it. Hell it doesn't even matter if you even know what model names you have, because you're not making content intended to inform others.

This guy's a reviewer. Go on YouTube, find an interview with the CEO/owner of any of those companies. It takes 30 seconds and you'll hear the head of the company themselves go "I'm so-and-so from (company name)". Steve Guttenberg has a bunch of videos at the Grado headquarters and you can hear the dude say "I'M JOHN GRAY-DO." It's called research. If you're making a video that's ostensibly a review/demo/whatever of a product for your channel that is supposed have a modicum of professionalism, put in the time to look up how to say the names. I just did it right now.

- Sh!t
- Meh-zeh
- Fo-CAL
- Rhymes with Odyssey
- This one doesn't even count it's literally just a word and two letters. Audio-Gee-Dee

This is why I hate most YouTube "reviewers". They don't do dick of research. I saw one who was reviewing the Hemp as well and he said "now this company has been around since at least 1993" and it's like my man the BOX ITSELF SAYS WHEN THEY STARTED. Moreover, if you're going to even bring up how long the company has existed... CHECK BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING. Take a few seconds before you turn your camera on and look the info up.

But no. No one wants to research, no one wants to actually look anything up, to know What they're talking about. They just want to record themselves and fart a video out with as little effort as possible. It drives me up a wall.

BACK ON TOPIC.

I saw a graph of the HP1000 and... oh no. I might have to start squirrelling money away to buy a pair. That FR response looks... absolutely flawless.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #45,925 of 65,552
H
I have two... shall we say... slight qualms with this video.

For one, dude deadass starts off going "Gray-do... or Grah-do... I dunno how to say it." My dude, you are a reviewer, ostensibly a professional, with 230k subscribers. If you cannot take ten ****ing seconds to check how to pronounce the name of the brand, how reliable are you?

Secondly, how is this even helpful? I'm still listening to this on my headphones. It's just double-coloring the sound and layering the frequency responses on top of each other. If you listen to this wearing a set of $10 earbuds you're still just hearing those earbuds. I don't get the point. This is like watching a recording of a monitor to see what it looks like.
Agree. Oluv many times uses this same approach. I'm with you, don't get it. Also, I'm using a dac/amp to drive my headphones listening to his amp/dac driving his Grado's. So there is coloration there as well. (He had the same issue with pronunciation with Grado's a couple years ago as well, must be a busy guy so he can't google the right way to say it. or he could just ask Josh or DMS and they would be happy to tell him)

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #45,927 of 65,552
I have two... shall we say... slight qualms with this video.

For one, dude deadass starts off going "Gray-do... or Grah-do... I dunno how to say it." My dude, you are a reviewer, ostensibly a professional, with 230k subscribers. If you cannot take ten ****ing seconds to check how to pronounce the name of the brand, how reliable are you?

This method can be useful if you're wearing your headphones that you are used to and know the quality. But then it's better if they have a couple off headphones to test at the same time. So you can hear the difference if any.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #45,928 of 65,552
Okay back to the Hemps.

Oh my lord this track and album. It is thunder. It is weight.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #45,929 of 65,552
Speaking of the Hemps, mine are now sporting the Shipibo rods & gimbals with a Turbulent XL headband in Coffeee. A nice little upgrade if I do say so myself.
20210305_114941.jpg

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #45,930 of 65,552
Speaking of the Hemps, mine are now sporting the Shipibo rods & gimbals with a Turbulent XL headband in Coffeee. A nice little upgrade if I do say so myself.

The Shipibo gimbals not only make a Grado look outstanding, they also make the headphone feel substantial and solid when you hold it in your hands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back