Grado Fan Club!
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #41,911 of 65,587
if you don't mind doing a bit of experiment , try to get a knock off g-pad, some of the members in here really love how rs2e sound with knock off g-pad. knock off g-pad not the genuine one, most of the knock off g-pad seems to boost the bass region and tame the treble little bit

There are several models of aftermarket G pads. Which brand do you use?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #41,912 of 65,587
I like the flats, but they give me the itchy ear problem. I use pad covers to solve this problem and they fit the L pads better (they are too lose on the flats).
you are a brave man sir! you still have courage to get hemp grado. flat pad probably the only reason why i stay away from it, usually a grado that comes with flat pad as stock pad won't sound anywhere good when tried with any other grado pads

There are several models of aftermarket G pads. Which brand do you use?
the cheapest one :D i just want to see what's the hype is all about. i forget the member name but the hawaiian dude in this grado thread tried a bunch of aftermarket gpads from several vendors, i think he is more credible to answer your question
@DavidA (hopefully he still active)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #41,913 of 65,587
you are a brave man sir! you still have courage to get hemp grado. flat pad probably the only reason why i stay away from it, usually a grado that comes with flat pad as stock pad won't sound anywhere good when tried with any other grado pads

the cheapest one :D i just want to see what's the hype is all about. i forget the member name but the hawaiian dude in this grado thread tried a bunch of aftermarket gpads from several vendors, i think he is more credible to answer your question
@DavidA (hopefully he still active)

Which Grado did you try that came stock with flats? As far as I know that would take you back to OG Grado like HP1 which are considered the best. You might be confusing flats or deluxe flats with “s” pads which come with sr60e etc. The Hemp uses deluxe flats apparently which have now been dubbed “f” by Grado.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #41,914 of 65,587
Which Grado did you try that came stock with flats? As far as I know that would take you back to OG Grado like HP1 which are considered the best. You might be confusing flats or deluxe flats with “s” pads which come with sr60e etc. The Hemp uses deluxe flats apparently which have now been dubbed “f” by Grado.
grado sr100. if you bought grado back in 90s, which comes with orange box, i'm pretty sure they all came with flat pads, even the original sr60 came with flat pad

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #41,915 of 65,587
The Hemp uses deluxe flats apparently which have now been dubbed “f” by Grado.

Are we sure about that? Is Grado using TTVJ deluxe flats or did they manufacture their own version?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #41,916 of 65,587
Curious what the Grado fans here would recommend for me - I have 325i and LOVE them. I haven't done a headphone jam since I got them almost 15 years ago so my last point of comparison is that dated... at the time the only other headphones I would have gone for were the PS1 but they were out of my budget at the time. Two other popular cans that I compared to the 325i were K701s and HD650s, I thought the DTs were good but very clinical and not what I was looking for (they remind me of my UE IEMs), the HDs my comments in the jam thread say "muddy/warm".

Here is my post from way back when were I talk about the cans I tried: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/miami-meet-impressions-2-18-06.162264/post-1918188

My 325i need servicing and my wife asked why I hadn't upgraded (gotta love that!) so I'm thinking about that. I'd like to stay around $5-700, I'm wondering if the PS500e would be a noticeable improvement? They would be used hanging off a Harmon Kardon midrange AVR (645 I think) and I don't have or plan on having any other amplification. Would be nice if they played well with an iPhone (w/adapter) too. Older models or current, what's your model suggestion? I *can* spend more but I'm a big believer in diminishing returns, OTOH I've gotten 15 years out of a $300 purchase and could be convinced otherwise.

I use them daily for gaming as well as listening to music of a wide variety (metal, edm, jam bands, synthpop), extended comfort is paramount so that rules out the large format cans I suspect.

The answer may very well be - service your current cans and enjoy. Looking to see what you guys say - there are so many models and have been so many over the years! Thanks and looking forward to what the folks here have to say :)

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #41,917 of 65,587
Curious what the Grado fans here would recommend for me - I have 325i and LOVE them. I haven't done a headphone jam since I got them almost 15 years ago so my last point of comparison is that dated... at the time the only other headphones I would have gone for were the PS1 but they were out of my budget at the time. Two other popular cans that I compared to the 325i were K701s and HD650s, I thought the DTs were good but very clinical and not what I was looking for (they remind me of my UE IEMs), the HDs my comments in the jam thread say "muddy/warm".

Here is my post from way back when were I talk about the cans I tried: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/miami-meet-impressions-2-18-06.162264/post-1918188

My 325i need servicing and my wife asked why I hadn't upgraded (gotta love that!) so I'm thinking about that. I'd like to stay around $5-700, I'm wondering if the PS500e would be a noticeable improvement? They would be used hanging off a Harmon Kardon midrange AVR (645 I think) and I don't have or plan on having any other amplification. Would be nice if they played well with an iPhone (w/adapter) too. Older models or current, what's your model suggestion? I *can* spend more but I'm a big believer in diminishing returns, OTOH I've gotten 15 years out of a $300 purchase and could be convinced otherwise.

I use them daily for gaming as well as listening to music of a wide variety (metal, edm, jam bands, synthpop), extended comfort is paramount so that rules out the large format cans I suspect.

The answer may very well be - service your current cans and enjoy. Looking to see what you guys say - there are so many models and have been so many over the years! Thanks and looking forward to what the folks here have to say :)
grado 325i? that must be the gold one right? if that's the case i'm afraid you're out of your luck, those gold one truly sound like one of a kind, i haven't heard that kind of treble in recent grado models, even ps1000e doesn't have those treble

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #41,918 of 65,587

I used to own the MS2 and the 325e and I really liked them. I now own an RS2e and I absolutely love it.

Why are you thinking about the PS500e? Do you have a thing for metal (vs wood)? If wood is not a problem for you, I really recommend the RS2e.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #41,919 of 65,587
Are we sure about that? Is Grado using TTVJ deluxe flats or did they manufacture their own version?
They look just like the TTVJ deluxe flats, but can't say if they are literally supplied by TTVJ.

I find the Hemp significantly more comfortable than the L cups on my 325e.

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #41,920 of 65,587
They look just like the TTVJ deluxe flats, but can't say if they are literally supplied by TTVJ.

I find the Hemp significantly more comfortable than the L cups on my 325e.
it's probably ttvj flat pad, they don't even put those flat pad on their official store website
https://www.4ourears.net/grado_accessories_s/1514.htm

the only question is whether it's flat pad or deluxe flat pad, both looks exactly the same but i read the deluxe flat pad have some kind of red dot mark somewhere on the pad

btw out of topic, i think they redesigned their wooden box, it's look very different from mine. very cool looking
new design:
BOXSLARGE-2.jpg

old design:
4E-BOXSTND-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #41,921 of 65,587
grado 325i? that must be the gold one right? if that's the case i'm afraid you're out of your luck, those gold one truly sound like one of a kind, i haven't heard that kind of treble in recent grado models, even ps1000e doesn't have those treble

Yup, the gold ones. Like I said I love their sound!

Why are you thinking about the PS500e? Do you have a thing for metal (vs wood)? If wood is not a problem for you, I really recommend the RS2e.

I guess I prefer the way the metal ones look and I know the two models I've liked are metal - I have little experience with their wood cans. The PS500e looks similar to me chassis-wise to the PS1 but I am way out of date on what the differences are on the dozens of models and limited editions. I saw the mega thread where there are comparisons of a lot of models and the OP gave the RS2e top nods - only bummer is of the 26 pairs of Grados not one were PS1 which is my benchmark for that next big jump up from what I have. How do the wood bodies compare to the metal ones sound-wise? Generally speaking I'm not listening to anything acoustic, jazz, classical - I like punch & bass.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #41,922 of 65,587
I like punch & bass.

Well, you get more punch and and the bass quality is much, much better with the RS2e. I have never used a PS500e...

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #41,923 of 65,587
Yup, the gold ones. Like I said I love their sound!

I guess I prefer the way the metal ones look and I know the two models I've liked are metal - I have little experience with their wood cans. The PS500e looks similar to me chassis-wise to the PS1 but I am way out of date on what the differences are on the dozens of models and limited editions. I saw the mega thread where there are comparisons of a lot of models and the OP gave the RS2e top nods - only bummer is of the 26 pairs of Grados not one were PS1 which is my benchmark for that next big jump up from what I have. How do the wood bodies compare to the metal ones sound-wise? Generally speaking I'm not listening to anything acoustic, jazz, classical - I like punch & bass.

if you really really love that sound, no wooden grado could match that treble, at least not that i know of, everything going to sound muffled to be honest, that gold one is the brightest grado ever, pair that with flat pad, it's truly one of a kind experience, not everyone love it but i could understand why some people really dig it. have you check what's the problem on your 325gold? i'm not even sure if grado still have spare drivers.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #41,924 of 65,587
have you check what's the problem on your 325gold? i'm not even sure if grado still have spare drivers.

Nothing major - they just need to have one of the plastic pieces that connect the gimbal to headband replaced as it no longer is attached and it probably could use its 2nd recable too.

Like I said you guys may just tell me to stick to what I got since I don't *need* to replace them and I'm not a collector. I will say the Hemp ones tickle me for uh certain reasons :D

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #41,925 of 65,587
Nothing major - they just need to have one of the plastic pieces that connect the gimbal to headband replaced as it no longer is attached and it probably could use its 2nd recable too.

Like I said you guys may just tell me to stick to what I got since I don't *need* to replace them and I'm not a collector. I will say the Hemp ones tickle me for uh certain reasons :D

personally if it had to be current models, i would say ps1000e, at the very least it's still have the aggressiveness of that 325 gold but you also mentioned comfort also have to be paramount which i'll be honest, ps1000e is heavy, so no idea really :D i'm going for the old saying, just try to repair your sr325 gold you're gonna ended up much happier i guess or try the hemp one who knows maybe your taste a bit evolving from all those time with the goldie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back