Grado Fan Club!
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #41,941 of 65,721
At 2:10 in the linked video, the song changes key slightly lower. With the Audeze (my guess is due to being closed back -- I've yet to hear an open back planar so keep that in mind) it sounds on paper the same. But what it lacks is the emotional shift that grabs you by the balls and tells you "hey, we're going somewhere else for a minute - buckle in..." The song takes a turn not only in key, but in emotion. I hate that it's such a subjective descriptor and is not great for comparing headphones or speakers, but something about the two elicits different responses and the Grado has a more pleasing emotion response. There is some improv that elicits a feeling of almost panic and urgency I can't "feel" as much with the LCD-2 Closed, even though I know it is objectively the same. If I had to put it on paper it would have something to do with space. I'm able to notice the changes in distance when the sax has to step back from the mic(s) a bit.
Well, at 1:24, the key steps up 1/2 step, and at 2:10 it steps back down to the starting key. You may or may not have caught the 1:24 step up because the overall intensity is still low. By the time you get to 2:10, there's a bit more energy. BTW, there is another 1/2 step up at 4:01, and that key remains until the end.

The realism of most Grados is what allows you to catch that subtle shift as an emotional shift. Senn and most planars are going to smooth out the sound too much and lose the sense of realism and dynamics that adds the emotional component.

BTW, thanks for the turn-on to Mammal Hands -- I'm checking out their other stuff on YT, will need to get some of their music.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #41,942 of 65,721
I've been using rs2e loads since ive been working from home, with my hugo 2. Ive been listening to everything from black metal to electronic stuff and jazz. Love them. Whats a great upgrade rs1e? I can spend up to £1500 or even closer to £2k at a push. Its weird how grado headphones get bad reviews. Ive loved them

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #41,943 of 65,721
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #41,944 of 65,721
Found a new favorite song for the LCDs that I can finally say differentiate the pair enough to justify having two different styles :)

The sound-stage is bigger on these than my trusty GH2s, and even though there isn't MORE bass, it definitely extends much further down. This is the first song I've listened to so far that made me unconsciously smile with them.

Another bonus is that since they're so power hungry, my Asgard 2 runs cooler when I have to crank the volume up to 90% and it's not wasting all that bias current through the FETs :O

I have the LCD XCs and the Grado GH2s, and find that they are suited to different songs, at least to my ears. For me, tunes that include elements of strings and other real instruments do really well on the GH2s, while items with a lot of dark crash, broad drumming sounds and speedy compositions, such as stuff by, say, Black Tiger Sex Machine, get a little extra something something from the LCDs. The LCDs of course have more detail and speed, and sometimes hint at more realism for vocals, albeit being a bit less forward in approach.

That said, I think my overall leaning is towards the GH2s, for that punchy quality that also separates out the different elements so well in many songs. If there is one thing that I have gradually discovered about myself over time it's that I am wiling to sacrifice technical perfections for a more "fun" and/or real feeling sound, which is something that Grado often brings to the table.

In other news, I picked up a pair of PS1000Es and eventually realized that the right and left speakers were on the wrong ends of the band. Obviously, this was an easy fix, but it struck me as pretty funny. Grado quality control strikes again! 😆

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #41,946 of 65,721
Its weird how grado headphones get bad reviews.

This was not always the case. Even five years or so ago Grado models were well respected...and then something happened. Not so sure what that something was though. I guess it is some kind of herd mentality phenomenon -- a couple of the "cool" kids didn't like them and they were vocal about it, and the rest just followed suit. This is the opposite of what happened to Sennheiser 6XX family of headphones -- a couple of "cool" kids proclaimed that they were the best bargain ever, and the rest just followed suit. I don't like the HD600 and I can't stand the HD650, both are average models at best.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #41,947 of 65,721
This was not always the case. Even five years or so ago Grado models were well respected...and then something happened. Not so sure what that something was though. I guess it is some kind of herd mentality phenomenon -- a couple of the "cool" kids didn't like them they were vocal about it, and the rest just followed suit. This is the opposite of what happened to Sennheiser 6XX family of headphones -- a couple of "cool" kids proclaimed that they were the best bargain ever, and the rest just followed suit. I don't like the HD600 and I can't stand the HD650, both are average models at best.

and most of them complained more about other things than the sound per se. and the same group proclaimed hd800 is the flattest and most neutral headphone out there, so yeah, go figure

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #41,948 of 65,721
This was not always the case. Even five years or so ago Grado models were well respected...and then something happened. Not so sure what that something was though. I guess it is some kind of herd mentality phenomenon -- a couple of the "cool" kids didn't like them they were vocal about it, and the rest just followed suit. This is the opposite of what happened to Sennheiser 6XX family of headphones -- a couple of "cool" kids proclaimed that they were the best bargain ever, and the rest just followed suit. I don't like the HD600 and I can't stand the HD650, both are average models at best.
Having just picked up the Hemp Headphone yesterday, my own story may shed some light on this. Back in 1991 a dealer recommended the original Joseph Grado HP-2 which I loved along with the Melos SHA-1. This headphone led me into high quality headphones and being an audiophile ever since. I bought the original RS-1 in 1996 and loved that as well. When the original flat pads went away and the drivers were re-tuned to work with bowl pads, in my opinion they became really bad sounding so I switched over to the HDxx series (among all the other usual suspects) which I have enjoyed up to now. During those years, I always wanted to like a Grado phone so occasionally tried different models GH-1, PS-500, GS3000e which never sounded very good to me. When I saw that the Hemp had the original flat pads I got excited and picked one up yesterday. It's too soon to make any final judgments, but based on my out of the box listening yesterday, the Hemp may be the most enjoyable headphone I've ever owned. It has that original flat pad Grado sound that I remember from 25 years ago and it is really wonderful.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #41,949 of 65,721
and most of them complained more about other things than the sound per se. and the same group proclaimed hd800 is the flattest and most neutral headphone out there, so yeah, go figure

I've actually seen this type of logic being used: "the Grado (whatever model) is uncomfortable and the build quality is shoddy...bla, bla, bla...therefore the Sennheiser (or whatever brand) is a much better sounding headphone".

What?

What does comfort and build have to do with sound. And to make things worse, Grado headphones are built like tanks. Because Grados look fragile, these people claim that the build quality is lacking...and people listen to these clowns.

Every once in a while you see someone post here saying how positively surprised they were when they finally listened to their first Grado headphone. Let there be light!!!

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #41,950 of 65,721
There is a lot vitriol aimed at Grado's. I have gotten into some discussions on other forums that sometimes got a bit heated. Funny enough after it settles down, then people start posting about Grado's that they do like. It's like all the Grado owners get bullied into silence because a few of the "experts" proclaim that Grado's are garbage.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #41,951 of 65,721
Anyway I’m happy to say I like them. So where do I go next from rs2e?

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #41,952 of 65,721
Having just picked up the Hemp Headphone yesterday, my own story may shed some light on this. Back in 1991 a dealer recommended the original Joseph Grado HP-2 which I loved along with the Melos SHA-1. This headphone led me into high quality headphones and being an audiophile ever since. I bought the original RS-1 in 1996 and loved that as well. When the original flat pads went away and the drivers were re-tuned to work with bowl pads, in my opinion they became really bad sounding so I switched over to the HDxx series (among all the other usual suspects) which I have enjoyed up to now. During those years, I always wanted to like a Grado phone so occasionally tried different models GH-1, PS-500, GS3000e which never sounded very good to me. When I saw that the Hemp had the original flat pads I got excited and picked one up yesterday. It's too soon to make any final judgments, but based on my out of the box listening yesterday, the Hemp may be the most enjoyable headphone I've ever owned. It has that original flat pad Grado sound that I remember from 25 years ago and it is really wonderful.

this is still fair argument actually, from following grado for years, most people that love hp1000 can't stand how john tune his headphones, some are alright but yeah it's fascinating looking at how grado evolve, even in john era, he tuned his headphones quite different to each generations

I've actually seen this type of logic being used: "the Grado (whatever model) is uncomfortable and the build quality is shoddy...bla, bla, bla...therefore the Sennheiser (or whatever brand) is a much better sounding headphone".

What?

What does comfort and build have to do with sound. And to make things worse, Grado headphones are built like tanks. Because Grados look fragile, these people claim that the build quality is lacking...and people listen to these clowns.

Every once in a while you see someone post here saying how positively surprised they were when they finally listened to their first Grado headphone. Let there be light!!!
the most annoying thing is this very same people then praised the other brands, you know who, the usual suspects that also have some questionable practice of their headphones, quality control, build quality, meaningless limited release editions and stuff. no wonder the world so divided right now, even in stupid hobby like headphone,people could go tribal

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #41,954 of 65,721
There is a lot vitriol aimed at Grado's. I have gotten into some discussions on other forums that sometimes got a bit heated. Funny enough after it settles down, then people start posting about Grado's that they do like. It's like all the Grado owners get bullied into silence because a few of the "experts" proclaim that Grado's are garbage.

Ha...so true. In the other forum, the guy with the cat avatar (not you, lol) proclaimed that he had been using his RS2e secretly for years. Some of the other members made fun of him...some admitted that they had also used their Grados in secret...and a few others stated that they gave a Grado chance after reading his post and that they liked what they heard.

I guess the detractors feel like they are some type of special connoisseur since they are capable of putting down such a well established brand. Their golden ears will shed the light. But they offer no proof as to why Grado sucks. They just keep repeating that they are uncomfortable, that they sound like crap and that they will fall apart if you sneeze.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #41,955 of 65,721

Users who are viewing this thread

Back