Grado Fan Club!
May 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #39,751 of 66,258
Question: I have a pair of Grado SR80s and the cable has shorts in two places. So I'm thinking of trying this as a solution.
1. Buy an IEM cable like this:
TRN-6-core-High-Purity-Oxygen-free-copper-braide-3-5mm-Earphone-Cable-IEM-Upgrade-Detachable.jpg_640x640.jpg

cut off the two plugs at end of cable. Cut the Grado cable short, right near the cup. Solder the cables together. Use heat-shrink tubing to cover the solder point.

Will this work? And will it be pretty easy? Is it just one wire in each half of the cable?

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #39,752 of 66,258
Question: I have a pair of Grado SR80s and the cable has shorts in two places. So I'm thinking of trying this as a solution.
1. Buy an IEM cable like this:
TRN-6-core-High-Purity-Oxygen-free-copper-braide-3-5mm-Earphone-Cable-IEM-Upgrade-Detachable.jpg_640x640.jpg

cut off the two plugs at end of cable. Cut the Grado cable short, right near the cup. Solder the cables together.

Will this work? And will it be pretty easy? Is it just one wire in each half of the cable?
That would work, there are two wires per side.

May 24, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #39,753 of 66,258
That would work, there are two wires per side.
So there's an audio wire and a ground wire on each side? And if so, how will I know which is audio and which is ground?

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #39,757 of 66,258
Ground cable has the same color on both sides. For your replacement cable use a multimeter to check.
Thank you!

May 25, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #39,759 of 66,258
it's been long time since the last time i visited this thread and put a grado on :D

never thought this day would come.13 years!!!!!!!!!! never thought august going to be this exciting. both tool and slipknot going to release their new album

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #39,762 of 66,258
Love my RS2e. Don't think I will ever upgrade. Don't want to hear anything better either :darthsmile:

I feel the way about my GH2's. Are there better Grado's? Probably. But I am super happy with mine.

Now, I do want to try the CFA Cascades and the Focal Elex's...

I will NEVER stop looking for "better". Since that term is relative, I am doomed to hunt forever.:darthsmile:

Shane D

May 27, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #39,763 of 66,258
I feel the way about my GH2's. Are there better Grado's? Probably. But I am super happy with mine.

Now, I do want to try the CFA Cascades and the Focal Elex's...

I will NEVER stop looking for "better". Since that term is relative, I am doomed to hunt forever.:darthsmile:

Shane D

I'm an addict like that too

May 28, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #39,764 of 66,258
Yeah, there's better everything. But musical truth, like other kinds of truth, come from many unexpected sources. My beloved GS3000 is a supreme piece of audiophile art, but it is only just a little better than my RS2e at communicating. The Rega Planar 3/Creek integrated/Akroyd speaker system I had in college made the HEART of the music come through as well as any of the megabuck systems I've had or set up or sold; pretty accurate sonically, but had a musical veritas that money can't guarantee, and which simple components often get very right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back