1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Grado Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by vikingatheart, Dec 29, 2010.
  1. peskypesky
    Question: I have a pair of Grado SR80s and the cable has shorts in two places. So I'm thinking of trying this as a solution.
    1. Buy an IEM cable like this:
    [​IMG]

cut off the two plugs at end of cable. Cut the Grado cable short, right near the cup. Solder the cables together. Use heat-shrink tubing to cover the solder point.

Will this work? And will it be pretty easy? Is it just one wire in each half of the cable?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. elira
    That would work, there are two wires per side.

peskypesky likes this.
  3. peskypesky
    So there's an audio wire and a ground wire on each side? And if so, how will I know which is audio and which is ground?

4. Monolaf
    6CCFDF03-472C-4B59-8797-D4D8A0EC7042.jpeg A54A9DCD-3F35-46F6-B8FB-E6FEEF2B2022.jpeg A54A9DCD-3F35-46F6-B8FB-E6FEEF2B2022.jpeg
    Which one do you mean?:thinking:

trellus likes this.
  5. elira
    Ground cable has the same color on both sides. For your replacement cable use a multimeter to check.

peskypesky likes this.
  6. audiobomber
    In what way?

7. peskypesky
    Thank you!

8. clundbe1
    The peppermint

9. ruhenheiM
    it's been long time since the last time i visited this thread and put a grado on :D

never thought this day would come.13 years!!!!!!!!!! never thought august going to be this exciting. both tool and slipknot going to release their new album

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. oidua
    Love my RS2e, although i need to fix the cable. My left can will go in and out if i move the cable. Think the wiring is bad at the connector. But when working these are fun. Airy, open, clear and warm/hot. Been a fan since 2012 when i had my sr80i.

Rwit, HungryPanda and trellus like this.
  11. Rwit
    Love my RS2e. Don't think I will ever upgrade. Don't want to hear anything better either :darthsmile:

12. Shane D
    I feel the way about my GH2's. Are there better Grado's? Probably. But I am super happy with mine.

Now, I do want to try the CFA Cascades and the Focal Elex's...

I will NEVER stop looking for "better". Since that term is relative, I am doomed to hunt forever.:darthsmile:

Shane D

gregorya likes this.
  13. Bob Ley
    I'm an addict like that too

14. mortcola
    Yeah, there's better everything. But musical truth, like other kinds of truth, come from many unexpected sources. My beloved GS3000 is a supreme piece of audiophile art, but it is only just a little better than my RS2e at communicating. The Rega Planar 3/Creek integrated/Akroyd speaker system I had in college made the HEART of the music come through as well as any of the megabuck systems I've had or set up or sold; pretty accurate sonically, but had a musical veritas that money can't guarantee, and which simple components often get very right.

15. aravaioli
    Have you ever heard of "reproduction"?