Grado Fan Club!
Jan 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #38,986 of 65,636
Thats about $12 a pair in US. A bit more than the listing i was looking at.

Is it the sound, comfort or material you didn’t like?

The retail would likely be closer to $8.00 in America.

The comfort was fine although my ears felt like they were right on the speaker. Also, I didn't notice an improvement in sound. It was different, but not better.

Shane D

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #38,987 of 65,636
Is there any love out there for the GH 2s? I haven't seen many posts and the cocobolo wood and what little I can find to read about them sounds interesting.
Still my favorite sub-$1000 Grado e series..

Though curious about GH4.. looks like a baby of GH1 and GH2 lol

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #38,988 of 65,636
Got a pair of SR325e but been meaning to try it with G-cushion to hopefully get a warmer sound.

I check eBay, and there are lots of G-cushion for less than $8. Are these any good? Anyone with experience?
I got some aftermarket pads from amazon (1 set is Geekria and the other is Earzonk) I think I have the Geekria G cushions.
I had on loan a 325e a few weeks ago to compare side by side with my modded SR80e and of the three sets of pads/combinations, my favorite was 325 with the G cush. I don't know if it made them 'warmer' sounding, per se, but it opened up the soundstage just the right amount for my taste. It took some of the brightness and energy out( in a good way), so I guess you could say it 'warmed' the sound.
As far as the quality, I had Grado flats, Grado G cush, Grado L cush and the two aftermarket pads to compare. The quality of the pads is nearly identical. Official Grado pads maybe had a little bit denser foam, but I definitely didn't go, "oh, I see why these were $8 and the Grado ones are $50

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #38,989 of 65,636
I got some aftermarket pads from amazon (1 set is Geekria and the other is Earzonk) I think I have the Geekria G cushions.
I had on loan a 325e a few weeks ago to compare side by side with my modded SR80e and of the three sets of pads/combinations, my favorite was 325 with the G cush. I don't know if it made them 'warmer' sounding, per se, but it opened up the soundstage just the right amount for my taste. It took some of the brightness and energy out( in a good way), so I guess you could say it 'warmed' the sound.
As far as the quality, I had Grado flats, Grado G cush, Grado L cush and the two aftermarket pads to compare. The quality of the pads is nearly identical. Official Grado pads maybe had a little bit denser foam, but I definitely didn't go, "oh, I see why these were $8 and the Grado ones are $50

That is strange. I’d have to get some G cushes again soon. I hated it with my old 325is and never bothered to try with the e version.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #38,990 of 65,636
I just had a chance to experiment with the cushion taken out of my brother's Bose headphones (I know).

1) Added on top of L-cushion: More far apart between the drivers and ears. I actually had to increase the volume to get the same loudness. More and better refined bass. The treble isn't as bright. The mid becomes a bit recessed. Good but loss of liveliness.

2) L-cushion: The most lively sound. The base isn't as present and not quite as refined. Treble is bright but fine. Mid kicks ass! Not going to comment too much on this standard setting since you all can read more thorough review elsewhere.

3 Bose cushion: Basically this sets up drivers against the eardrums. Don't like it. Simply too close to the eardrums for sound to develop.

Attached the Bose cushion.

Attachments

• IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #38,991 of 65,636
I've heard people say they didn't like the G on the 325...I have thought a lot about it, because I read a lot about it, I had a bias develop "people say the 325 doesn't sound good with G pads" and then by chance I had in my possession a set of 325e and a bunch of different pads....and for my tastes. I liked the combination. It really comes down to personal preference...One isn't obviously better than the other, it's more about what kind of music are you listening to, how good is your hearing ( or in other words do you hear frequencies above 14K?) or are you watching a movie? z
I was surprised, I really liked the SR325e with G cush for movies...in some cases I liked them better than my Argons (which I LOVE for movies)
I feel like, for $8 it's totally worth checking them out.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #38,992 of 65,636
I noticed that you sold yours. Not your cup of tea or just making room for something else?
I only sold them because I didn't find myself reaching for them at the time I purchased them, but not because I enjoyed them from my initial listening impressions, but I just never got around burning them in and listening to them, so I sold them instead of just keeping them in my drawer.

I hated it with my old 325is
Tried the Grad G cushions with my 325is and they lost everything they ddi great too me. They had no bass, and sounded like I was listening through a tin can. I love my 325is with the original L cushions.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #38,993 of 65,636
[QUOTE="

Tried the Grad G cushions with my 325is and they lost everything they ddi great too me. They had no bass, and sounded like I was listening through a tin can. I love my 325is with the original L cushions.[/QUOTE]
I tried it with the 325e....I don't know how much difference that makes. The difference between the pads wasn't tin can and perfection... I also have limited experience with Grados...I only mention that because, while I have read a LOT about them, I only picked a set recently, and coincidentally had a set of 325 on loan...my point is I don't have deeply ingrained ideas of what my headphones should sound like, I just judged them by how I liked them for what I wanted them to do...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #38,994 of 65,636
I've never heard the 325e so I can't comment on their sound with the G cushions. From what I've read they're warmer sounding than the (is) series, so I'd think the different series would present a different presentation with the G cushions.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #38,996 of 65,636
Trying a new combination today:
GH2's, Sony DAP and Fiio amp.
DAP on low gain, Fiio on high gain with bass boost on. Sounding pretty fun with Black Stone Cherry.

Shane D

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #38,997 of 65,636
Anyone know where I can get some replacement earpads for my vintage RS-1s? My originals are starting to slough off and leave black material all over my ears. Thanks!
I have gotten them from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, though it was a few years ago. Grado sent me there, saying that he has a stock of the RS1 flats made by Grado, but stocked by TTVJ.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #39,000 of 65,636
Is there any love out there for the GH 2s? I haven't seen many posts and the cocobolo wood and what little I can find to read about them sounds interesting.
I have so much love for them:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back