Grado Fan Club!
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #38,611 of 65,605
I don't think aptX really means anything besides greater bandwidth with low latency A/V sync. I've heard enough crappy sounding bluetooth aptX earphones that I don't consider aptX to be what makes the difference in SQ. You foremost need quality transducer/tuning. Crappy driver with aptX = crappy sound.

Yeah... duh. But, I am expecting that Grado will pay attention to the drivers.

There is more to the difference than to which you are alluding, like less compression of the audio source, which is crucial for high quality lossy (MP3/AAC) or Redbook audio.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #38,612 of 65,605
03D8B61C-1D79-4ED9-965D-9BADD3F1E1CE.jpeg
Hi. The new foam he is using are a big upgrade over the old ones. More holes in them making the sound more airy. Loving the comfort with merino.

As I was way too curious to give the pads a try I did and....I’m loving them. I got both the merino and hybrid pads (the latter being leather on the outside, merino on the inside). Upon using the ‘rectangular foam’ (which I believe is referrred to in the above message. For info there is no picture on the beautifulaudio website of this foam) the sounds gets as close as it gets to the Grado house sound but it takes away the treble edge (female voices can bite me sometimes). The ‘open cell foam’ increases the perceived low end but bass remains tight and not dominating. The pads also put the driver a bit further from the ear. Till now I have listended to these on both my rs2e and GH1 (considering many prefer the G cush on the GH1 I’m eager to see if some here will test these pads on theirs). I could not really hear a difference between the hybrid and merino pads but the leather certainly looks classy. Can’t beat these over ear pads comfort wise.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #38,613 of 65,605
Hello Grado Fan Club!

Awhile back I posted some information in regards to the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society's Limited Edition Headphones that John Grado had specially built to commemorate the LA&OC's 25th Anniversary. I've been meaning to get back to the "Fan Club" to post some listening impressions of these 'phones, but I always seemed to get interrupted for one reason or another. For this I have to deeply apologize.

But I'm going to have to put posting those listening impressions on hold for the time being, as I've just learned some interesting information concerning some new Grado headphones soon to be released. In particular, in the latest newsletter that Bob Levi sends out to LA&OC society members, there was a listing for some of the prizes that will be in the "Grand Raffle" at the upcoming LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Gala this coming December. A nearly exact copy of this newsletter can be viewed on The LA&OC Audio Scoiety Facebook page here. Scrolling on down the newsletter, I ran across the the raffle prizes that John Grado will be bringing to this year's audio society gala, and read this: "...2018 Premiere: GS 3000 Headphones for the true personal listening connoisseur! New top wood circumaural model in cocobolo! $1795...."

Naturally, I thought to myself, "maybe I should Google 'Grado GS3000'," just to see what shows up. And sure enough, not only is Grado releasing a GS3000, but also two new models in the Grado Heritage series as well; i.e., the GH3 and GH4! For additional info, check out the "Now Listen Here" website, as well as the "Needle Doctor" webpage.

Concerning the GS3000, from the "Needle Doctor" webpage: "Grado's GS3000e headphones use a Cocobolo hybrid enclosures, delivering richness and clarity simultaneously. Details forthcoming, but the GS3000e 'phones are ready for shipment!" The cost, as already mentioned, will be $1,795.

And concerning the forthcoming GH3 and GH4, the "Now Listen Here" website has this to say:"GH3, using selected and seasoned Pine sourced from Norway, it has a beautiful grain and is a compact low profile headphone. GH4, also using the selected and seasoned Pine from Norway, a bigger and bolder performing headphone compared the to the GH3." The prices for the GH3 and GH4, as listed on the "Needle Doctor" webpage, are $325 and $550, respectively.

Now I genuinely admit that my knowledge of all things Grado is not the most up to date, but is this the first time that anyone else here, in the Fan Club, has heard of these new Grado headphones? Grado's own website seems to not mention anything about these new 'phones either.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #38,615 of 65,605
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #38,616 of 65,605
Hello Grado Fan Club!

Awhile back I posted some information in regards to the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society's Limited Edition Headphones that John Grado had specially built to commemorate the LA&OC's 25th Anniversary. I've been meaning to get back to the "Fan Club" to post some listening impressions of these 'phones, but I always seemed to get interrupted for one reason or another. For this I have to deeply apologize.

But I'm going to have to put posting those listening impressions on hold for the time being, as I've just learned some interesting information concerning some new Grado headphones soon to be released. In particular, in the latest newsletter that Bob Levi sends out to LA&OC society members, there was a listing for some of the prizes that will be in the "Grand Raffle" at the upcoming LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Gala this coming December. A nearly exact copy of this newsletter can be viewed on The LA&OC Audio Scoiety Facebook page here. Scrolling on down the newsletter, I ran across the the raffle prizes that John Grado will be bringing to this year's audio society gala, and read this: "...2018 Premiere: GS 3000 Headphones for the true personal listening connoisseur! New top wood circumaural model in cocobolo! $1795...."

Naturally, I thought to myself, "maybe I should Google 'Grado GS3000'," just to see what shows up. And sure enough, not only is Grado releasing a GS3000, but also two new models in the Grado Heritage series as well; i.e., the GH3 and GH4! For additional info, check out the "Now Listen Here" website, as well as the "Needle Doctor" webpage.

Concerning the GS3000, from the "Needle Doctor" webpage: "Grado's GS3000e headphones use a Cocobolo hybrid enclosures, delivering richness and clarity simultaneously. Details forthcoming, but the GS3000e 'phones are ready for shipment!" The cost, as already mentioned, will be $1,795.

And concerning the forthcoming GH3 and GH4, the "Now Listen Here" website has this to say:"GH3, using selected and seasoned Pine sourced from Norway, it has a beautiful grain and is a compact low profile headphone. GH4, also using the selected and seasoned Pine from Norway, a bigger and bolder performing headphone compared the to the GH3." The prices for the GH3 and GH4, as listed on the "Needle Doctor" webpage, are $325 and $550, respectively.

Now I genuinely admit that my knowledge of all things Grado is not the most up to date, but is this the first time that anyone else here, in the Fan Club, has heard of these new Grado headphones? Grado's own website seems to not mention anything about these new 'phones either.

You just made my day! All three of those new headphones look to be incredible! Thanks for sharing that info with us.

Also, I'd really love to hear your impressions of the LAOC Limited Edition, when you have time, as I picked one up as well and have been really impressed with it.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #38,617 of 65,605
Wouldn't it be great if they put the PS2K driver tech into the GS3000 housing (with significant weight reduction as an additional benefit).

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #38,620 of 65,605
Sep 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #38,621 of 65,605
Here are a few pictures of Earzonk G cushion and the Beautiful Audio merino cushions. Wooden Records did the cups and elira sold me the merinos. The BAs are interesting with two sets of foam and they are light. I thought they might be over the ear, but they fit me on the ear. When I get my fleasbaby build, I will pass along some impressions.

IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1085.jpg

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #38,622 of 65,605
I know the last time I posted about the PS1K I said "never sell your PS1K" but I haven't used mine in such a long time that I'd like to sell them to someone who will use them. I haven't posted them on the F/S forum yet, so PM me if you're interested.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #38,625 of 65,605
I searched and couldn't find a fan club for Grados in general. I have only listened to the SR80is and LOVE them. I love how these cans really bring rock to life. I hope to someday try some more high end Grados. I want to see how the Grado "house sound" changes throughout the line up.
I started with the 80i, sold for 225i, then off to 325i. Best 32 ohm headphones a person can buy. The bass of the 325 series is amazing. Treble and mids are crystal clear. I sure wish they would upgrade that headband though... definitely gives me a headache after an hour. I recently considered selling them for the new 325e, but read some reviews, and one guy expressed how he preferred the 325i over 325e, that although the e series has more control and fixed some issues from the i days, the original 325i allowed for more character which the 325e filters out. I think I'll hang on to mine for a while :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back