Grado Fan Club!
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #37,876 of 65,603
Looking for some advice from the Community. I recently purchased the Lyr 3 w/ Multibit DAC (previously owned the Jotunheim w/ Balanced DAC) and it has taken my 325e w/ G Cushions to another level. I own the original Wood NightHawks and HD650 as well. While I notice a slight improvement with these Cans, the Lyr 3 truly takes my Grados to another level. I am considering the RS2e and the GH2. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that @ruthieandjohn has added the GH2 to his chart (which I greatly appreciate as a baseline for comparison). Just curious if the additonal $150 is worth it for the GH2? Prior to the Lyr 3, I auditioned the RS2e and did not think it was a significant upgrade over the 325e with my prior Vali 2/Modi 2 setup and various DragonFly iterations. I think I may appreciate an upgrade based on the potential of the Lyr 3. I have been a Grado fan since my first pair of original 125s. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hey, I’m originally from West Virginia, too!

No, I have never tried the GH2, so they never made it into my charts. I love the RS2e, and I would imagine e the GH2 , as the bassist of the Grados from what I read, would complement the RS2e very well.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #37,877 of 65,603
OMG never knew there were still brand new GH1 exist.. even GH2 has sold out here in China several months ago.

I’m really tempted to buy one.. unless someone confirms it that GH1 is basically an EQed PS500e, as claimed by the Headfonics review of GH1. As far as I love my PS500e I don’t want to spend another $650 (plus 15% tariff) on a second pair.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #37,879 of 65,603
Thank you for the reply. The GH1 is no longer available and the PS1000e is simply too expensive. I could purchase the RS2e and the GH2 for the price of a PS1000 series Can. The Jotunheim is an amazing product and I defintely recommend it. Their Multibit DACs are simply the best I have heard and make me forget about getting back into Vinyl. I upgraded/sidegraded to the Lyr 3 and gave up Balanced for Tubes. For the NightHawk and HD650, I felt it was a wash (understanding my DAC was the original Balanced DAC in the Jotunheim and not the Multibit). If Grado is your prefered sound signature then I would recommend paying the additional $100 for the Lyr 3. As I understand it, Grado would often recommend the Lyr 2 and I believe the general concensus is that the Lyr 3 is much better. The synergy is amazing.
I have a Lyr2 and its a decent pairing with my RS2e and SR225e but to me they sound better on my Ember or the headphone output of my UD-301, a bit smoother in the highs and bass is a touch deeper to me.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #37,880 of 65,603
OMG never knew there were still brand new GH1 exist.. even GH2 has sold out here in China several months ago.

I’m really tempted to buy one.. unless someone confirms it that GH1 is basically an EQed PS500e, as claimed by the Headfonics review of GH1. As far as I love my PS500e I don’t want to spend another $650 (plus 15% tariff) on a second pair.

I bought here my Grado Gh2, they still have some in sale! :)
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 09.08.41.png

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #37,881 of 65,603
GH2 are available all over the U.S.
The GH1 is an excellent headphone with either the stock L cushions (which they come with) or the Grado G cushions!
Yes I have seen in a lot of reviews saying GH1 is really good with G Cush. And they’re THE most beautiful Grado I’ve ever seen..

The distributor here says they only have 108 pairs of GH1 for retail in China, probably similar number for GH2; No wonder they sold out so fast..

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #37,882 of 65,603
I bought here my Grado Gh2, they still have some in sale! :)
Ha ha I have it too! Bought it the first day it went on sale here, went early in the morning, thought they’ll be people queueing up..

Not really. Just me. The salesman told me that I’m literally the first customer in China to get his hands on a pair of GH2. I wish there were some serial number on it.

And it retails for more than $800 here. Yes, that’s the price you pay for being a Grado fan outside of America..

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #37,884 of 65,603
@dannyvstheworld , that is a high price to pay for the GH-1/2 but they will probably never drop in price so if you do decide to sell them you probably wouldn't take a lost.
..with the only problem being that I'm really happy with my GH2 that I may never sell them :)

Though it took me a while to get used to their warm sound signature, but once I did, I find it hard to go back to my other Grados without feeling they're a bit bass light.

People keep talking about a "super HD 650".. for me GH2 is like a super HD 650.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #37,885 of 65,603
Ha ha I have it too! Bought it the first day it went on sale here, went early in the morning, thought they’ll be people queueing up..

Not really. Just me. The salesman told me that I’m literally the first customer in China to get his hands on a pair of GH2. I wish there were some serial number on it.

And it retails for more than $800 here. Yes, that’s the price you pay for being a Grado fan outside of America..

that's really hefty price to pay for gh2, scott pilgrim :D
i think a used pair of ps1000 would be cheaper than that

btw lately i've been listening to these 2 albums, both surprisingly fun

Scott_Pilgrim_soundtrack.jpg

Staying_at_Tamara%27s_%28album%29.png

and start counting days for this one
APC_eat_the_elephant.jpg

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #37,886 of 65,603
These GH 2 also same price on Amazon. UK .... £499

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #37,887 of 65,603
..with the only problem being that I'm really happy with my GH2 that I may never sell them :)

Though it took me a while to get used to their warm sound signature, but once I did, I find it hard to go back to my other Grados without feeling they're a bit bass light.

People keep talking about a "super HD 650".. for me GH2 is like a super HD 650.
my version of a "super HD650" is the Ypsilon S2 (a Grado clone) and it sounds good even with a phone, low power DAP, or headphone jack of computer

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #37,888 of 65,603
that's really hefty price to pay for gh2, scott pilgrim :D
i think a used pair of ps1000 would be cheaper than that

btw lately i've been listening to these 2 albums, both surprisingly fun

Scott_Pilgrim_soundtrack.jpg

Staying_at_Tamara%27s_%28album%29.png

and start counting days for this one
APC_eat_the_elephant.jpg
Yeah I took the name from it.. Really liked the movie when I was young.. For someone playing video games all the time it feels more real than real life..

And the soundtrack is really cool, though I remember nothing but lots of Beck..

(And I just found out that the original score was written by.. Nigel Godrich! Really surprised, never knew he could.. compose.. )

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #37,889 of 65,603
my version of a "super HD650" is the Ypsilon S2 (a Grado clone) and it sounds good even with a phone, low power DAP, or headphone jack of computer
I didn't know what it was so I googled it (actually bing-ed it since we can't use google.. )

This is really cool. So you just go buy a driver, a cup, and a cable, and put them to a Grado headband? Is that all? No need to fine tune the sound? How do you feel about their sound, compared with some well known headphones? Do they retain the Grado sound signature?

(Did I just raised too many questions? )

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #37,890 of 65,603
I didn't know what it was so I googled it (actually bing-ed it since we can't use google.. )

This is really cool. So you just go buy a driver, a cup, and a cable, and put them to a Grado headband? Is that all? No need to fine tune the sound? How do you feel about their sound, compared with some well known headphones? Do they retain the Grado sound signature?

(Did I just raised too many questions? )
Since its getting a little of topic I'll send u a PM later today when I get home since its hard to navigate thread with phone. U can also check out Ypsilon and Nhoord threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back