Grado Fan Club!
Jan 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #37,141 of 65,638
@Thrill Killer,
SMC jacks: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector (most expensive but easiest to work with) You will also need to do some cutting to the inner cup to fit the jack. You can get the cable side connectors from ebay for a lot cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-SMC-Fe...708258?hash=item5b3d137122:g:sRYAAOxy69JTA5JZ

I like using Mogami 2893 since it has 4 different colored wires, at 26AWG is a good balance between size and weight and if you strip of the plastic/copper shield they are quite flexible and light.
Here's a picture of the SR325 that I modded:
SR325-1.jpg
If you want more info go to the Grado Modders thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/page-545

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #37,142 of 65,638
They sound great. The Val slightly warms the high end as compared to my itouch with the same music. The vocals really stand out. Slightly thicker on the lower end. Definitely more oomph overall. A sound stage is present. Doing a amateur A/B with a Val and itouch is eyeopening. As are the 325's vs my other cans. I only have 10-12 hrs on them. So they have a ways to go.

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #37,143 of 65,638
@Thrill Killer,
SMC jacks: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector (most expensive but easiest to work with) You will also need to do some cutting to the inner cup to fit the jack. You can get the cable side connectors from ebay for a lot cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-SMC-Fe...708258?hash=item5b3d137122:g:sRYAAOxy69JTA5JZ

I like using Mogami 2893 since it has 4 different colored wires, at 26AWG is a good balance between size and weight and if you strip of the plastic/copper shield they are quite flexible and light.
Here's a picture of the SR325 that I modded:

If you want more info go to the Grado Modders thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/page-545

@DavidA , Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #37,144 of 65,638
225e recently acquired!

I owned the SR325e’s for close to two years and they did indeed sound sublime to my ears,
unfortunately one of the cups detached from the rod, I repaired with glue and they again broke a
couple months later - due to the buildup of glue from the first repair it’s not an easy re-fix....

So a few weeks ago I bought a lightly used SR225e in like-new condition.

At first, they sounded odd and unbalanced with a noticeable “cardboard” like coloration
in the mids to upper mids - and a tendency to emphasize harshness in the upper mids.
Plus, they were uncomfortable. I had faith that burn-in and some adjustments would improve them.

What helped:

1. Reverse cushion mod and avoiding wearing glasses while wearing them (move the
glasses’ stems/ arms out from behind the ears and up the temple - now quite comfortable
and can easily wear for hours!)

2. Even though the seller had used them a bit further burn-in definitely improved sq - the tendency to
emphasize both upper mids and upper-mid harshness gone!

3. I found that gently raising the bass and highs a bit through eq improved tonal balance
to the point they sound much better and more natural!

4. In addition to the above, there is definitely an acclimatization/ getting used to the sound of these

5. I also listen at low to medium volumes and believe that Grado’s are voiced to sound best
at these levels- those that find Grado’s bright, glassy, harsh etc. are likely listening
at high-ish volumes - Grado’s may not suit listeners who like loud volumes!

I used to wonder why the 225e’s have such polarizing user reviews and why they are not more widely praised in the hifi press the way the 325e’s are - after trying the above steps I feel it more understandable.

I now feel that the 225e’s are just as desirable and musical a Grado as the 325e’s..... both are about equal to me in musical satisfaction (even though initially they can sound quite different).

While the 225e’s sounstage is somewhat small and compacted compared with some, the details of the
performance, recording/ production, instruments, air, etc. all are portrayed effortlessly, and in particular
the energy, emotion, warmth,talent/artistry/personality/ humanity, expression, drive etc. are portrayed just-right to my tastes - (listening
mostly to pop, rock, classic and progressive jazz and some classical).

The 225e’s level of refinement is medium-good - but the balance of all attributes is near perfect, always allowing
the artist’s intent, expression, talent to come through beautifully. Having developed a taste for the 225e’s -
first impressions can be misleading - there’s nothing I want to change - and I’m enjoying the lighter weight compared to the 325e’s
and hopefully will give me longer service.

Make no mistake - they are no GS1000i’s - but if the signature and characteristics agree -
are excellent.

Loving them!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #37,146 of 65,638
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #37,147 of 65,638
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #37,148 of 65,638
...just an update to my entry above - further listening to the SR225e's setup as described above and at low-ish
volume levels, they are quite comfortable - certainly comfortable enough! - and I would say that for thosewho appreciate how the best Grado's sound -
these definitely for me have the Grado magic.

The music unfolds the way you would ideally expect it to, with excellent immersive-ness and
engagement - rewards the careful listener. There's a balance of performance here that lets me forget
I'm listening to a transducer and focus on the performance.

Vivid and Effortlessly Engaging (for me!)

For me, the 225e's are a fantastic headphone, really enjoying it!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #37,149 of 65,638
Hi Grado Fan Club! Although I'm a frequent reader of this tread (more like a chat room, really), I rarely seem to find time to post.

Anyway, I'm a member of the "Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society", and on January 3rd, I received an email notice from the head of the society, Bob Levi, detailing a number of items that have been commissioned, and which will be available to society membership, in celebration of the LA&OC's 25th anniversary in 2018. One of the items will be a commemorative set of Grado headphones, designed by John Grado himself, specifically for this anniversary celebration.

More specifically, and to quote from the email:

"From Grado Labs and designed by John Grado:

Commemorative 25th Anniversary LA&OC Audio Society Headphones with both all wood ends engraved for the occasion. Plus, the headphones feature wood grown and indigenous to California: striped oak. John Grado took a year finding the right state wood and creating the headphones. They feature the top drivers, wiring, and oversized ear pads of the GS2000e, black leather, 3.5mm adapter and Grado extension cable. They are efficient, super, super comfortable, extraordinarily lightweight, and are only surpassed by cans costing over $2000, in my expert opinion and all others who have heard the prototype. Fantastic!!!
Our Society cost is $995, no shipping cost and no tax.
Not sold by any dealers!!! Only Sold directly by Grado and they ship directly to you. On January 31, I will turn in the orders to Grado and they will produce the Society Headphones. To quote Dr. David Robinson, Editor of PF, after hearing the prototype, I have to have a pair!
"

I think it is fair to say, given the intended audience for these phones, that the primary emphasis in their manufacture will be on top flight sound quality.

So my question is this: Does anyone else here have any information, that they would like to relate, regarding the specifics of these 'one-off' Grado headphones?

Thanks In Advance For any information that anyone can provide!

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #37,150 of 65,638
Hi Grado Fan Club! Although I'm a frequent reader of this tread (more like a chat room, really), I rarely seem to find time to post.

Anyway, I'm a member of the "Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society", and on January 3rd, I received an email notice from the head of the society, Bob Levi, detailing a number of items that have been commissioned, and which will be available to society membership, in celebration of the LA&OC's 25th anniversary in 2018. One of the items will be a commemorative set of Grado headphones, designed by John Grado himself, specifically for this anniversary celebration.

More specifically, and to quote from the email:

"From Grado Labs and designed by John Grado:

Commemorative 25th Anniversary LA&OC Audio Society Headphones with both all wood ends engraved for the occasion. Plus, the headphones feature wood grown and indigenous to California: striped oak. John Grado took a year finding the right state wood and creating the headphones. They feature the top drivers, wiring, and oversized ear pads of the GS2000e, black leather, 3.5mm adapter and Grado extension cable. They are efficient, super, super comfortable, extraordinarily lightweight, and are only surpassed by cans costing over $2000, in my expert opinion and all others who have heard the prototype. Fantastic!!!
Our Society cost is $995, no shipping cost and no tax.
Not sold by any dealers!!! Only Sold directly by Grado and they ship directly to you. On January 31, I will turn in the orders to Grado and they will produce the Society Headphones. To quote Dr. David Robinson, Editor of PF, after hearing the prototype, I have to have a pair!
"

I think it is fair to say, given the intended audience for these phones, that the primary emphasis in their manufacture will be on top flight sound quality.

So my question is this: Does anyone else here have any information, that they would like to relate, regarding the specifics of these 'one-off' Grado headphones?

Thanks In Advance For any information that anyone can provide!

there's still no mention about this in grado blog. but from the price alone it's probably close to gs1000e in term of performance, grado has been done this one-off thing a few times, sometimes they really are special items, most of the time it just a re-badge of their current products, little bit different look,new engrave but they just using same drivers (same tuning i assumed ) so nothing special except of the look of the headphone itself. however if the club not just ordered the headphone from grado but commissioned them to built this headphone to their specification or just go wild try some new things since it's also for an audio enthusiast, and i think this is more likely consider grado have their reputation on the table, then i think it could be something special. like hf-1,hf-2,ps1,bushmill,thailand rs1,stuff like that at least worthy of collector items

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #37,151 of 65,638
Wonderful of Grado, and wonderful opportunity for audio scientists!

Given the audience, you might ask whether they will be available in balanced (as opposed to single ended) form. Going to balanced made a significant improvement on my already-great GS2000e’s.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #37,152 of 65,638
The Grado PS2000e, GS2000e, GS1000i, PS1000: A Tale Of Balanced and Single Ended

Since the GS2000e is so light, I immediately began using it for the 20 min twice-a-day dog walks that I take.

The full post was a great read ,superb in fact. But i spat my cup of tea out when i read you wore them outside, heck i wouldn't take my sr-80e outside where i live let alone a gs-2000e. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #37,153 of 65,638

I also don't take out my nicer 'phones, particularly open back headphones, since I don't want to get them rained on accidentally, or flying particles.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #37,154 of 65,638
I'm glad that you like them. I recently picked up a pair of SR325e for my girlfriend for Christmas and I've found that they don't perform much lower than the RS1, PS500, or GH2, seems more like a difference in tonality rather than quality. How do you like them through the Valhalla?
I agree with this , the quality of the 325e is superb , i have recently been listening to them and it's the overall tonal presence of the aluminum that flavours them so much.
I have been listening to the RS2e solid for the past few months so when i heard the 325e this week i really noticed the change in sound.
The first time i heard the 325e was when i upgraded from my 80e and i never noticed the metallic sound as much as i have done recently , maybe i have adapted and grown very fond of the woodies.
So quality wise my 325e can hang with my RS2e no problem, but the difference wood or aluminum makes towards the overall sound is huge.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #37,155 of 65,638
I also don't take out my nicer 'phones, particularly open back headphones, since I don't want to get them rained on accidentally, or flying particles.
I have more regular listening time the 40 minutes per day that I walk the dogs than any other time. If I didn’t listen then, I wouldn’t need headphones. I don’t use them in the rain and I have not had any mishaps with them. I have, however, been mistaken for Princess Leia at times and occasionally been accosted by lustful Wookiees!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back