Grado Fan Club!
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #36,871 of 65,649
I've just got the same as you, the rs2e. My previous headphones were a non 'i' or 'e' sr125.
I also have a Sennheiser hd598 which i use for gaming or the odd movie if it's late and i can't use my home cinema speakers
Burnley has a seriously strong defence. Impressive few numbers of goals conceded. And that's with their backup goalkeeper + without Michael Keane. Jack Cork has done a wonderful job covering in front of defense. I got so many clean sheet points by having some Burnley players in my Fantasy PL team. :D Is it true that the weather is bad over there? Worse than Manchester?

On another note, I placed an order for a pair of Grado PS2000e just now. It will arrive next week or so. Interesting to hear how this hybrid sounds compared to the wooden RS2e. :)

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #36,873 of 65,649
So... I've had rs2e for about three weeks now. After initial disappointment I've grown to like The sound. Nothing is super except for the FUN of sound these produce. I'n The end I still decided to sell these. The reason?

Mainly the cable. What is up with that? Headphones would Be fairly portable If it wasn't for the bulky rubber cable. Also The plug is huge and prone to break on portable use. I would Be fine with it If these were big over ears just for stationary listening but obviously these are not considering short cable and 3.5mm plug.

One can say it is heritage and traditions. I doubt anyone would oppose detachable cables or an earpad system most people would not find uncomfortable.

I know this is a Grado fan thread but I think these issues need to Be talked about and seen by most people possible. That is why I Post here instead of making s Grado bashing thread...and because I have nothing Bad to say about The sound.

What do you guys think? Should Grado evolve? Less heavy detachable cables, New earpads etc...

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #36,874 of 65,649
Is it true that the weather is bad over there? Worse than Manchester?
It's always wet around here, i'm no expert but i think being near the Pennines increases rainfall. The best days in winter here are when it gets very cold as the rain tends to stop and the sun comes out.

Having lost both my dogs last year, the wet weather is the main reason we don't have plans to get another at the moment. All the fields and walks are always a right mess and the constant cleaning and drying does get frustrating. Saying that, i do miss em a lot, it's strange not having a dog about the house.

Already getting new headphones, you greedy devil.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #36,875 of 65,649
So... I've had rs2e for about three weeks now. After initial disappointment I've grown to like The sound. Nothing is super except for the FUN of sound these produce. I'n The end I still decided to sell these. The reason?

Mainly the cable. What is up with that? Headphones would Be fairly portable If it wasn't for the bulky rubber cable. Also The plug is huge and prone to break on portable use. I would Be fine with it If these were big over ears just for stationary listening but obviously these are not considering short cable and 3.5mm plug.

One can say it is heritage and traditions. I doubt anyone would oppose detachable cables or an earpad system most people would not find uncomfortable.

I know this is a Grado fan thread but I think these issues need to Be talked about and seen by most people possible. That is why I Post here instead of making s Grado bashing thread...and because I have nothing Bad to say about The sound.

What do you guys think? Should Grado evolve? Less heavy detachable cables, New earpads etc...

I agree with you about the cable being too heavy and for me its also too short for my living room area and too long to be used for a portable along with extra heavy duty jack.
My RS2e:
RS2e_Refinished-SMC.jpg
SMC jacks + generic G-pads for comfort, better sound stage and 1-2dB bass boost along with dynamat in the cups which cleans up the sound and gives the bass some "weight"

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #36,876 of 65,649
I agree with you about the cable being too heavy and for me its also too short for my living room area and too long to be used for a portable along with extra heavy duty jack.
My RS2e:

SMC jacks + generic G-pads for comfort, better sound stage and 1-2dB bass boost along with dynamat in the cups which cleans up the sound and gives the bass some "weight"
These definately go on a list of headphones to buy again. Damn amazing really... But not amazing enough to have me deal with the cable. Even beyerdynamic decided it is time for a change. Hopefully grado goes that way too...

Edit: anyone Else think that soundstage on rs2e is up? I feel it is like 0.5m higher than on other headphones I've heard that are even capable of vertical soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #36,877 of 65,649

Actually I agree with everything you say about the cable and the pads. I too wish Grado would at least offering something different in a build. See how that goes, and then move on from there.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #36,878 of 65,649
Actually I agree with everything you say about the cable and the pads. I too wish Grado would at least offering something different in a build. See how that goes, and then move on from there.
Would Be awesome. Company with such a heritage and know how. Need to step up The game a notch. Or eventually Grado will become ultrasone of us. something cool and expensive but nothing actual headphone enthuast would Look at.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #36,879 of 65,649
On another note, I placed an order for a pair of Grado PS2000e just now. It will arrive next week or so. Interesting to hear how this hybrid sounds compared to the wooden RS2e. :)

do you still living in indonesia? i wonder how much the cost for the custom alone hahaha

not bad idea for the ear pads. i don't mind about the G-pad, it's fairly comfort and easy to work with. the L-pad is good as it is for portable use but for home listening,longer listening session, that's not the pad to go. maybe some other options, i don't think anybody would mind that. just design another pad for other option, so people could choose for the prestige series and reference series, if they want to go for L-pad or new design pad. i think that would solve the comfort issues. i tried put some distancer, still using the L-pad and it improve the comfort. so it's not only about the L-pad but also the the short distance between ears and drivers, also the clamp pressure. i know grado headphones are very sensitive about ear-pad swapping,it could alter the sound. that's why if grado could design their pad, over ear ear-pad and still could maintain their grado sound, just make it as an options.i think grado fans would appreciate it

for the cable, i can't say about the sr,rs,gs series. but for ps1000e. i don't mind the cable, the headphone already heavy. less heavy cable wouldn't make that much different. detachable, sounds great but me personally i never have any issue about their cable quality, i think they are good as it is, sure detachable cable would make easier to swap cable but most of the time that would ended up with the cable cost a lot more than the headphone itself and i'm not the type of person who make that kind of purchase, so non detachable is not a deal breaker for me. but for other series, less heavy cable maybe a good idea. however i have sr60, when i first get those headphone, my first thought was this cable really stupid, it's thick,it's also longer compare to sennheiser px100 but now it's been 9-10 years since i first bought sr60. i never have issue with cable connectivity, still good as new. while px100 after 2 years,already have problem with cable.so in general, i really don't have issue in cable area for grado headphone

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #36,880 of 65,649
I think one small change they could do, is to improve the cushion comfortability. The default cushion feels a bit rough to my ears.

do you still living in indonesia? i wonder how much the cost for the custom alone hahaha
Lol. Fortunately I won't have to. :) I ordered it from Jaben Singapore (https://store.jaben.com/), they're a retailer also for Grado headphones. It's very close. I could go there, or ask a friend to bring along when visiting here.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #36,881 of 65,649
I think one small change they could do, is to improve the cushion comfortability. The default cushion feels a bit rough to my ears.

wait until you get those ps2000e. the pad comfort would be in your bottom list of things that annoying you unless you're accustomed to heavy headphones

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #36,882 of 65,649
well @ruhenheiM , couldn't swing a ps2000e, but i do have a ps500 (original) incoming

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #36,883 of 65,649
well @ruhenheiM , couldn't swing a ps2000e, but i do have a ps500 (original) incoming
dude what happen with do not OVERDOSE IT! now you're fully gradoholic. i can't help you. sorry. sooner or later there will be ps2000e....

Lol. Fortunately I won't have to. :) I ordered it from Jaben Singapore (https://store.jaben.com/), they're a retailer also for Grado headphones. It's very close. I could go there, or ask a friend to bring along when visiting here.

aahhh i see. jaben. yes yes that's a great choice, i really don't know how much ps2000e would cost in indonesia. with our current situation, buying grado headphones wouldn't be an ideal purchase.

well, congrats! i would like to hear your impression for ps2000e :D

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #36,884 of 65,649
it's been 9-10 years since i first bought sr60. i never have issue with cable connectivity, still good as new. while px100 after 2 years,already have problem with cable.so in general, i really don't have issue in cable area for grado headphone
You made many good points. :thumbsup: One of them is that Grado headphones were made to last.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #36,885 of 65,649
"but me personally i never have any issue about their cable quality, i think they are good as it is"
I never had any issue with the length/weight or build of Grado cables. If they were detachable I'd connect them and never take them out anyway like I did with my HD800S cable. I also prefer a hardwired connection due to less connection points which could possibly lead to trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back