Grado Fan Club!
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #36,467 of 66,291
I had the PS500 and replaced them with the PS500e, looking to step up into something with more detail, better sound etc. Suggestions, sales going on?
Loaded question that only you can really answer since what I think sounds better may not be to your liking but here are my suggestions:
SR009, HD800/S, T1, Eikon, HD700, RS2e, PS1ke, GS1k2, Ypsilon G1, HE560, and EL-8 open.

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #36,468 of 66,291
Loaded question that only you can really answer since what I think sounds better may not be to your liking but here are my suggestions:
SR009, HD800/S, T1, Eikon, HD700, RS2e, PS1ke, GS1k2, Ypsilon G1, HE560, and EL-8 open.
I like the Grado sound. I was more thinking along the PS or GS lines. GS1000e, or 2000e. PS etc. Prefer to stay in the $800-1k range.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #36,469 of 66,291
I like the Grado sound. I was more thinking along the PS or GS lines. GS1000e, or 2000e. PS etc. Prefer to stay in the $800-1k range.
After hearing my friends PS1000e and GS1000e I'd never get them since I feel they are really over priced for the improvements over the RS2e and PS500e. While the SR225e and RS2e got me into Grado headphones I'm finding that the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones are better performing for much less cost with the only issue being DIY. The other thing that I love about Grado headphones is the simplicity of modding them to tune the sound a little to your preferences.

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #36,471 of 66,291
After struggling through multiple televised games for which various companies brag as "Official soft drink of the NCAA," "Official tire of the MLB," "Official airlines of the US Olympics," the following fun question occurred to me:

Fill in the blank: "Grado... the Official Headphone of (blank)."

What would YOU put in the blank?

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #36,472 of 66,291
After struggling through multiple televised games for which various companies brag as "Official soft drink of the NCAA," "Official tire of the MLB," "Official airlines of the US Olympics," the following fun question occurred to me:

...Brooklyn, NY

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #36,473 of 66,291
After hearing my friends PS1000e and GS1000e I'd never get them since I feel they are really over priced for the improvements over the RS2e and PS500e. While the SR225e and RS2e got me into Grado headphones I'm finding that the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones are better performing for much less cost with the only issue being DIY. The other thing that I love about Grado headphones is the simplicity of modding them to tune the sound a little to your preferences.

I wasn't too excited about my GS1000e when I first got them. The bass was a bit tinny and the treble very bright. I had heard they needed a lot of break in to sound their best, so I decided to stick with them and they definitely sound much, much better after breaking in. I never heard a pair of headphones that needed break in as much as these do. Also, something else I did was swap the stock G pads for the Earzonk G pads. Seems like an odd thing to do maybe, but it helped the bass sound a bit fuller and tamed the treble a bit. I can honestly say the GS1000e is quite rewarding if someone is willing to give them the 100 or so hours they need to settle in. I normally reach for them instead of my GH1 and GH2 now.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #36,474 of 66,291
I wasn't too excited about my GS1000e when I first got them. The bass was a bit tinny and the treble very bright. I had heard they needed a lot of break in to sound their best, so I decided to stick with them and they definitely sound much, much better after breaking in. I never heard a pair of headphones that needed break in as much as these do. Also, something else I did was swap the stock G pads for the Earzonk G pads. Seems like an odd thing to do maybe, but it helped the bass sound a bit fuller and tamed the treble a bit. I can honestly say the GS1000e is quite rewarding if someone is willing to give them the 100 or so hours they need to settle in. I normally reach for them instead of my GH1 and GH2 now.
The GS1000e and PS1000e that my friend has have probably 300-400 hours on them since they were both used quite a bit daily since he used to rotate them and use them daily at his office. These days he uses a Nhoord Red V2 in GS style teak cups and has sold the PS1000e and is thinking of also selling the GS1000e and replacing them with a Elleven Acoustica G1 custom build.

And the Earzonk G pads do boost the bass 1-2dB as you noticed and its a bit softer so they are more comfortable to me but I think they also change the sound stage since the drivers not sit a little closer to the ears.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #36,476 of 66,291

"some one that cares about sound"

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #36,477 of 66,291
I balanced my RS1i/GH1/PS1K and the instrument separation and soundstage/imaging increased considerably, as well as the tonal balance. Regardless of the debate over SE/balanced this was immediately apparent to my ears. My PS1K sounds as if the instruments are outside of my head. What Grados did you balance, and what did you experience?

Did you balance them yourself, or have a third-party do them?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #36,479 of 66,291

Heh wait, I don't get it.

Grado literally already is the Official headphone of JetBlue airlines first class.

http://blog.gradolabs.com/grado-x-jetblue/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back