Grado Fan Club!
Oct 9, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #36,496 of 65,651
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #36,497 of 65,651
I feel Grado PS500 and GS1000 sounds very nice with Phatlab Phatasy class A portable tube amp.
What amp do you guys use to drive your precious Grados?

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #36,499 of 65,651
You are more likely to damage your hearing before damaging the drivers by turning up the listening levels. What do you mean by "lacking"? sound stage? bass? highs? If you say turning up the listening level louder then I don't see any problem unless you are listening at higher than 85dB for extended periods and turning it up higher than this.

When you say "busted" is it a rattling sound? You can send them back to Grado for repair, its a flat rate but I don't remember what it is for the SR80i, $50? and they do replace both drivers so its not a bad deal IMO.

I live in Sweden so It'd probably be cheaper to buy a new pair.

Considering my SR80i got the rattle from running it w/o an amp and not driven hard at all I don't want to risk it on the PS500.

I want to use their fullest potential. I was pushing them last night and they really do shine when you crank the volume up a bit.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #36,500 of 65,651

Considering my SR80i got the rattle from running it w/o an amp and not driven hard at all I don't want to risk it on the PS500.

I want to use their fullest potential. I was pushing them last night and they really do shine when you crank the volume up a bit.
The rattle is not from being played at too high a volume but from hair or other particle getting thought the grill cloth of the driver. Cranking up the volume does not cause the "grattle" problem so I wouldn't worry about playing the PS500 at higher volumes but do be careful of reaching levels which could damage your hearing (85dB or higher). You can use a phone with an app that will give you a rough estimate of the level you are listening at:
Phone-dB meter-4.jpg
I use the closed cell foam to keep outside sound from affecting the measurements. Depending on the app you select (most are free) they are fairly accurate and some can even be calibrated to get more accurate results. I've found giving a statement like "I listen at loud levels" really doesn't mean much since your definition of "loud" and mine might be really different but if you say I listen at 75-85dB then it a value that has meaning to me also.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #36,501 of 65,651

have you tried to blow air through the headphone? it's probably hair or dust. i thought your headphone just suddenly dead silence, if that's what happen probably the cable connection or you need driver replacement.but if it's rattle sound, it's probably hair

they do sound wonderful when you crank up the volume but you need to be little bit cautious sometimes you could develop tinnitus from it

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #36,502 of 65,651
The rattle is not from being played at too high a volume but from hair or other particle getting thought the grill cloth of the driver. Cranking up the volume does not cause the "grattle" problem so I wouldn't worry about playing the PS500 at higher volumes but do be careful of reaching levels which could damage your hearing (85dB or higher). You can use a phone with an app that will give you a rough estimate of the level you are listening at:

I use the closed cell foam to keep outside sound from affecting the measurements. Depending on the app you select (most are free) they are fairly accurate and some can even be calibrated to get more accurate results. I've found giving a statement like "I listen at loud levels" really doesn't mean much since your definition of "loud" and mine might be really different but if you say I listen at 75-85dB then it a value that has meaning to me also.

I'm generally not over 9 o'clock on my Pioneer U-05 and 100% in Windows.
Like I said, ear-side face down on a table I can not make out what songs are playing 0.5 meter away. I'd like to think most people listen way louder.
I'll see tonight If i can get a reading on the phone.

have you tried to blow air through the headphone? it's probably hair or dust. i thought your headphone just suddenly dead silence, if that's what happen probably the cable connection or you need driver replacement.but if it's rattle sound, it's probably hair

they do sound wonderful when you crank up the volume but you need to be little bit cautious sometimes you could develop tinnitus from it

I have to retrieve them from my dad and try that. Hopefully they aren't physically damaged.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #36,503 of 65,651
DSC_1611.JPG DSC_1612.JPG DSC_1613.JPG
Looks like I am now the proud owner of Grado PS500, PS500e and GS2000e headphones. I made a stupid low offer on the GS2000e never expecting the seller to say yes... and yes they did.
I use a Bryston BUC-1 USB converter to control and stabilize the USB signal. It feeds a Bal Canto DAC-2.7.
All special cables,

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #36,505 of 65,651
photo.php
photo.php
photo.php
Looks like I am now the proud owner of Grado PS500, PS500e and GS2000e headphones. I made a stupid low offer on the GS2000e never expecting the seller to say yes... and yes they did.
I use a Bryston BUC-1 USB converter to control and stabilize the USB signal. It feeds a Bal Canto DAC-2.7.
All special cables,
How do you add pictures, does not seem to be working for me

If you got the GS2000e for a really low price and they aren't damaged in any way, that sounds good to me.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #36,506 of 65,651
Drive mine with a Little Dot mk.2

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #36,508 of 65,651
Teac UD-301 headphone output for RS2e, Sony ES HT receiver for SR225e.

I'm pretty sure that your Grado sounds nice on the Teac, heard many good reviews about it.

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #36,509 of 65,651
I love Grado!!!

sfG86EX.jpg

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #36,510 of 65,651
My Grado GS1000 and PS500 sounds really really good driven by Phatlab Phantasy tube amp!
Grados love tube amp!

a7Ya3fr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back