Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #36,076 of 65,638
Quick question. This is going to require a true blue GS1000 fan to answer. How much has the sound of the GS changed through the various revisions IE: "i" and now "e" and the original with no letter after it. Point being, if I were to get an original GS1000 how much would I be loosing vs buying an e version.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #36,077 of 65,638
Never heard the GS1000, but I think that the GS1000i is WAAYYYY better than the current GS1000e. I hear good things about the original GS1000 that cause me to think that it also is better, not worse, than the GS1000e.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #36,078 of 65,638
Is there a significant difference between the PS1000 original v 1000e in terms of neutrality? The original is always described as U or V shaped but I wonder whether that's only in comparison to other Grado models or is it really a "fun" (as most bass heavy headphones are described on Head Fi) and inaccurate in the general sense? I can't imagine a Grado being the latter, especially a flag ship model, but my experience is limited to the 325e and GH2.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #36,080 of 65,638
- not sure why, but my wood cup GS1000i sounds great to me through Mojo. Lowish volume of course - with the GS1000i 'cause they're lower
efficiency I'm in amber volume a lot, which gives about the same volume as regular red on 325e.
Probably both RS2e and GH2 have refined treble, and Mojo is also light on treble. GS1000i probably have better treble extension which makes a better pairing.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #36,081 of 65,638
Here's a real collector's item to share with you Grado fans. To my knowledge, this is the earliest wood headphone Grado produced. It has identical gimbals to my HP-1000s, and the brown leather headband and pink drivers of my super vintage RS1. The engraving on the buttons matches the logo of the earliest ~50 RS1s given as samples to distributors. In years of following Grados closely here and elsewhere, I've never seen another pair.

They came with a box and warranty card which don't divulge a model number but place the headphones in the early '90s.

I'm pretty stunned by the sound. I prefer it to all other pink driver Grados I own, including SR-100, RS-1, and the aluminum SR-325. Very immediate and delicate, great bass, and the kind of "first-row" feel that John's early headphones do so well.

m4RbR4N.jpg
fAm7LPk.jpg

Nibtwg3.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #36,083 of 65,638
holy cow i have no idea that headphone really exist! i think i saw that in some of grado thread a long time ago.i thought this headphone was a prototype or some kind. that's really beauty.is it possible that headphone using the very same drivers for grado tower speaker?

thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #36,084 of 65,638
holy cow i have no idea that headphone really exist! i think i saw that in some of grado thread a long time ago.i thought this headphone was a prototype or some kind. that's really beauty.is it possible that headphone using the very same drivers for grado tower speaker?

thanks for sharing!!!

It's of a similar era, and the color is the same, but the transmission line speakers appear to have some kind of dustcap over the center of the driver enclosure. In any case, I expect these drivers are very similar. They're up there with the blackstars for me.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #36,085 of 65,638
It's of a similar era, and the color is the same, but the transmission line speakers appear to have some kind of dustcap over the center of the driver enclosure. In any case, I expect these drivers are very similar. They're up there with the blacstars for me.

i see. i remember john said they already build and prepare to manufacture the speakers to the production line before the headphone business really took off and that's after john bought the grado company from joe. so i'm guessing that must be the very early drivers john using after the blackstar. how about the cable? is this still using the joe reference cable or already the john era cable?

have you email grado yet? maybe they could gave some information or confirmation for that headphone

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #36,086 of 65,638
i see. i remember john said they already build and prepare to manufacture the speakers to the production line before the headphone business really took off and that's after john bought the grado company from joe. so i'm guessing that must be the very early drivers john using after the blackstar. how about the cable? is this still using the joe reference cable or already the john era cable?

have you email grado yet? maybe they could gave some information or confirmation for that headphone

It is certainly the immediate post-blackstar driver. This driver was shared by a number of headphones before ~1997, and this is one of the more interesting of that era. It's using a standard cable, I've not seen a John-era headphone using the JGSUWBR cable that Joe favored. I did email Grado, but I've not heard back. I'd be surprised if they had records as thorough as head-fi's, anyways.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #36,087 of 65,638
Wow! Thanks for posting these pictures.
That is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back