Grado Fan Club!
Aug 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #36,106 of 65,624
Small hack fo g pads, wich are my all time favourite grado pads.
Just put round of electric tape around outer circle of the g pads. It seals it just so, that you got a bit more tighter sound and ever so slightly punchier sub bass.
Easy to take off, if you dont like the effect.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #36,109 of 65,624
you're not alone about the bass on G-pad. i think it's logical, the drivers kinda far from your ears so there's going to be some reduce in bass territory
This is the reason why I like the Earzonk/generic G pads since they will either keep the bass level or in my case increase it a touch due to the foam being a little denser than the OEM Grado G pad while the increase in distance from your ear make the sound stage a little better IMO.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #36,110 of 65,624
This is the reason why I like the Earzonk/generic G pads since they will either keep the bass level or in my case increase it a touch due to the foam being a little denser than the OEM Grado G pad while the increase in distance from your ear make the sound stage a little better IMO.

This works on the GS1000e also. I replaced the Grado G pad (moved it to the GH2) a while ago and put an Earzonk G on the GS1000e instead. Gives it a bit more bass and makes them sound less "thin".

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #36,111 of 65,624
Here's a real collector's item to share with you Grado fans. To my knowledge, this is the earliest wood headphone Grado produced. It has identical gimbals to my HP-1000s, and the brown leather headband and pink drivers of my super vintage RS1. The engraving on the buttons matches the logo of the earliest ~50 RS1s given as samples to distributors. In years of following Grados closely here and elsewhere, I've never seen another pair.

They came with a box and warranty card which don't divulge a model number but place the headphones in the early '90s.

I'm pretty stunned by the sound. I prefer it to all other pink driver Grados I own, including SR-100, RS-1, and the aluminum SR-325. Very immediate and delicate, great bass, and the kind of "first-row" feel that John's early headphones do so well.

m4RbR4N.jpg
fAm7LPk.jpg

Nibtwg3.jpg

those look really nice. i wonder why the cymbals are put on reversed though?
could you take a pic from the side, or without pads?
you sure did get a very unique headphone here!

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #36,113 of 65,624
those look really nice. i wonder why the cymbals are put on reversed though?
could you take a pic from the side, or without pads?
you sure did get a very unique headphone here!

The gimbals *are* reversed, which interested me, too. They weren't really designed for the headphone, and the cup depth is too shallow. If I reverse the gimbals, they are angled such that the back cup doesn't clear appropriately. I don't think this model was around long enough to warrant designing a proper gimbal, so they used an old HP-1000 gimbal.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #36,116 of 65,624
As far as the gimbals go, like @Sherwood said they're not really designed for the cups so I guess they just used what they had. Open gimbals would be more appropriate in this case

It's worth pointing out that the "reversed" gimbals don't have a negative effect on driver angle, comfort, or durability. The cord doesn't rest against the gimbal, and when worn the drivers are on your head the angle is correct.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #36,117 of 65,624
Small hack fo g pads, wich are my all time favourite grado pads.
Just put round of electric tape around outer circle of the g pads. It seals it just so, that you got a bit more tighter sound and ever so slightly punchier sub bass.
Easy to take off, if you dont like the effect.

That's a good idea. I've done the tape mod in the past to the L-cush but never thought to do it to the G-cush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back