Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #36,136 of 65,687
At the level of the GH1/2 I don't think there is much scaling up, more likely a different sound signature/tuning of the sound. I haven't heard the GH2 but have heard/owned a GH1, PS1ke, GS1ke, PS500/e, RS2e, SR225i/e, SR80i/e, SR60i and RS1e (the bad one) and currently own RS2e and SR225e. The GH1 and RS2e are similar in design but tuned differently with the GH1 having a more fun sound and the RS2e a more neutral sound, which is better comes down to which sound signature you prefer. While I like my RS2e it doesn't get much use these days since I've started to play with some of the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones which are similar to Grado drivers but are much more balanced sounding to me at a much lower price but a DIY project. They look similar but can be customized to your liking like these:

Are these drivers diffucult to in
That's because the sound signature of the GH-1 was supposed to fall between the PS500 and the RS2 according to Grado at the time of their release.

GH1 is my first grado and I love it so much :)

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #36,138 of 65,687
Hi David, could you compare GH1 to PS500e? I have read a review from headfonic that states these 2 headphones are almost indistinguishable in sound, wonder if it's really the case.

I love my PS500e, even prefer it to RS2e and GH2, so this article makes me really regret that I didn't buy GH1..

The headfonic review: http://headfonics.com/2015/10/the-heritage-series-gh1-by-grado/2/

While I haven't listened to either the GH1 and PS500e in a while I agree with @joseph69, I would put the GH1 between the PS500e and RS2e also. Its one reason I modded my RS2e with dynamat in the cups, it brings the bass closer to the PS500e while keeping the mids and highs of the GH1 which I liked better than the RS2e since its not quite as forward.

@Lavakugel , building these headphones is not difficult, it takes time to source / get the parts. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #36,139 of 65,687
Thanks. Now I see why everyone seems to love GH1 so much; PS500e bass combined with RS2e mid range, what more can I ask. Not to mention it looks so lovely..

On the contrary, I feel GH2 strays a bit too far from the Grado sound; while I think "it's so different from my other Grados that I'm definitely keeping it", I always reach out for my 500e and 2e..

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #36,140 of 65,687
yes you are right about that. you have to demo it first before you bought it because not all models sharing the same sound character, it's still a grado sound but more or less there's something just off either you're going to like it or you just annoyed by it. i never heard gh2 but if by any chance u have tried gh1, there's a good chance you're going to like ps1000e. but since i read the gh2 bass kinda prominent maybe the gs1000e/gs2000e more likely the upgrade from that if you don't mind the u/v shape sound or perhaps the old ps1000. however since you mentioned it because of all those models using g-pad as the standard pad, you're going to lose a little bit intimacy, it's still an exciting headphone though

Thanks for those notes, that seems to confirm what I suspected might be interesting in an upgrade, as those were the models I was most interested in trying out, especially the gs ones. I will give them a try sometime. My hope is that the larger driver they have will help fill the gap when using the G pad.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #36,141 of 65,687
At the level of the GH1/2 I don't think there is much scaling up, more likely a different sound signature/tuning of the sound. I haven't heard the GH2 but have heard/owned a GH1, PS1ke, GS1ke, PS500/e, RS2e, SR225i/e, SR80i/e, SR60i and RS1e (the bad one) and currently own RS2e and SR225e. The GH1 and RS2e are similar in design but tuned differently with the GH1 having a more fun sound and the RS2e a more neutral sound, which is better comes down to which sound signature you prefer. While I like my RS2e it doesn't get much use these days since I've started to play with some of the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones which are similar to Grado drivers but are much more balanced sounding to me at a much lower price but a DIY project. They look similar but can be customized to your liking like these:

Thanks for these details, it's fascinating how there seems to be a bit of a cottage industry surrounding Grado cans with all kinds of after market parts, options and DYI projects. I think I lean towards a more fun sound, so will keep that in mind when looking at options.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #36,142 of 65,687
Here is mine!

v2w2oVl.jpg

sX9M6qF.jpg

Heavily modded Grado SR80i headphones.

The wood is "Madagascar Ebony" hand-crafted from a Head-fi user (7keys).

The pads are G-cush.

The headband is the Turbulent Labs Saddle Manta. It gives the cans a much needed premium feel, where as the standard headband felt very thin and flimsy in comparison.

The sound is fairly standard Grado house sound - some love it, some don't, but I sit firmly in the "they have a time and a place" category.

I have to admit though, the wood housings do give a nice little midbass push compared to standard housings - even with the G-cush pads on.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #36,144 of 65,687
Hi. The Grado x liberte headphones are made of pellets, but do someone know what kind of wood they use in pellets? Spruce, pine, or something else?

no idea, you should email grado or liberte. logically it should be a cheap wood,it's pallets after all.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #36,145 of 65,687
Hi. The Grado x liberte headphones are made of pellets, but do someone know what kind of wood they use in pellets? Spruce, pine, or something else?
Pallets according to Google:
The two most common wood types used for making pallets are southern yellow pine (SYP) and oak. A former study done by the USDA and Virginia tech determined that SYP made up 18.9% of all woods used while oak made up 17.1% (by volume).

Pellets according to Google:
Pellet fuels (or pellets) are biofuels made from compressed organic matter or biomass. ... Wood pellets are the most common type of pellet fuel and are generally made from compacted sawdust and related industrial wastes from the milling of lumber, manufacture of wood products and furniture, and construction. :)

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #36,146 of 65,687
description from grado and liberte

-using wood from their yogurt mill to build a series of limited edition(grado)

-And by us – it’s why we made headphones together using recycled pallets from our Liberté manufacturing plant(liberte)

that's should be a pallets,right?

i'm assuming they using a solid wood not a processed wood, since the headphone wood still have grains unless they're also using veneer

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #36,147 of 65,687
Pallets according to Google:
The two most common wood types used for making pallets are southern yellow pine (SYP) and oak. A former study done by the USDA and Virginia tech determined that SYP made up 18.9% of all woods used while oak made up 17.1% (by volume).

Pellets according to Google:
Pellet fuels (or pellets) are biofuels made from compressed organic matter or biomass. ... Wood pellets are the most common type of pellet fuel and are generally made from compacted sawdust and related industrial wastes from the milling of lumber, manufacture of wood products and furniture, and construction. :)
Thanks! Perhaps Grado will add the HP to their limited edition site with some info some day.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #36,149 of 65,687
Hey folks, just joined the family this morning. Brand new pair of SR225e picked up at the mail, and fresh out of the box on my ears as I type. Immediate impressions. They're tiny and light. Except for that cord. Wow, that thing is thick. Onward. The pads are no where near as bad as I'd been led to believe. I'll start with some Beatles, as these are old school cans. That's very nice. Much more bass than expected, and actually hearing something in Come Together I'd never noticed before. And onward again. These are quite interesting. I really like the clarity of the sound. Not sure they handle modern metal well, but will try more later. Switching back to some ole Black Sabbath. Yep, I feel 70s rock may be the strength of these. Now something totally different, going to get medieval on them. Baltimore Consort playing music from the 1600s. Can really pick apart the instruments. One more try and I'll sign out for now. Dead Can Dance. Mmmmm, those drums with the Ifi micro black bass boost turned on. Only negative I really have at this point is I will probably be changing the cups for comfort. Had to take my glasses off about half way through my listen due to pain. Otherwise, honestly close to what I was expecting/hoping for sound wise. Actually a little better than hoped for. Very cool.

Quick edit: the instrument separation is outstanding. Really loving that aspect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back