Grado Fan Club!
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #36,151 of 65,559
Hey folks, just joined the family this morning. Brand new pair of SR225e picked up at the mail, and fresh out of the box on my ears as I type. Immediate impressions. They're tiny and light. Except for that cord. Wow, that thing is thick. Onward. The pads are no where near as bad as I'd been led to believe. I'll start with some Beatles, as these are old school cans. That's very nice. Much more bass than expected, and actually hearing something in Come Together I'd never noticed before. And onward again. These are quite interesting. I really like the clarity of the sound. Not sure they handle modern metal well, but will try more later. Switching back to some ole Black Sabbath. Yep, I feel 70s rock may be the strength of these. Now something totally different, going to get medieval on them. Baltimore Consort playing music from the 1600s. Can really pick apart the instruments. One more try and I'll sign out for now. Dead Can Dance. Mmmmm, those drums with the Ifi micro black bass boost turned on. Only negative I really have at this point is I will probably be changing the cups for comfort. Had to take my glasses off about half way through my listen due to pain. Otherwise, honestly close to what I was expecting/hoping for sound wise. Actually a little better than hoped for. Very cool.

Quick edit: the instrument separation is outstanding. Really loving that aspect.
I think you mean change the ear pads, if so then I would suggest some cheap generic G pads from ebay for $4-6 / pair

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #36,152 of 65,559
I think you mean change the ear pads, if so then I would suggest some cheap generic G pads from ebay for $4-6 / pair
There you go. I pretty much have over ear cans besides the new Grados. But yes, that's what I did mean.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #36,155 of 65,559
maybe some of you are curious
http://mysphere.at/ pre-order already open
Very interesting. I like the fact that these hang near the ears...I like to listen with my Grados as with the headband fitting as loosely as possible, as if their just hanging on my ears. When I had the Abyss here, I actually enjoyed listening to them with the cups angled away from the front of my ears, just being held on my head from right behind the ears as if I didn't have anything on my ears. Thanks for the heads up, I'm tempted to give these a go!

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #36,156 of 65,559
yes. it's the principle of jecklin float headphone. and this one just like akg k1000. the designer and engineer who made this actually the one who working for k1000. this is probably the one headphone in years that i really anticipate. anyway they going to be in RMAF show, you should give it a try. also i think it's already the final product. they already started the production if i'm not mistaken

and yes the price.... i know i know

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #36,159 of 65,559
My SR60e woody was not sounding great with my OTL amp, so bring in the desktop O2 amp I've just built, this is what I was looking for :D

from headnhifi: http://www.headnhifi.com/objective2

DSC_8865.jpg

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #36,164 of 65,559
The x liberte arrived today and I had 1 hour listening with them. Superlight and with the red driver. I was playing Biosphere, Marconi Union and Loscil and on electronica they was fantastic. I prefered the flat deluxe on these headphones. Gave more bass. Will try out other pads after heavy burnin through the night. With no surprice, they had the Grado sound. Forward. Emailed Grado, but they wouldnt give me any info about these. Only that they were limited and not for sale .

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #36,165 of 65,559
I am giving serious consideration to putting up my collection of the four versions of the top-of-the-(Prestige)-line SR325s for sale.

WHY??? And why me, who has accumulated a collection of nearly every Grado I can get my hands upon???

I will be moving across the country in about 2 years, and I want to trim down my headphone collection prior to the move. Of the Grado SR325s, the one that I use almost exclusively is the SR325i (the gold one created in 2003 for Grado's 50th, or Golden, Anniversary). I was fortunate to find a SECOND one of them, which I will keep and use, but I will include my original one in the sale.

I have the original SR325 of 1993, the 50th anniversary SR325i of 2003, the version released in 2008 to "correct" the brightness of the SR325i, called the SR325is, and the current SR325e, released in 2014. There is a black anodized aluminum version of the original SR325 that predates the one that I have, but I do not have that one.

I took particular care to build this collection of SR325s, as some are particularly hard to find. For example, the SR325is that I have happens to be the rarer shiny chrome one, rather than the satin-finished sandblasted one. The SR325i Golden Anniversary headphone is the brightest sounding of ALL the Grados (not just the SR325 series), and is not often available, and the original SR325, being nearly 25 years old now, is rarely found for sale.

The question that I have is... is there any additional value for someone obtaining the four versions of the Grado SR325 as a set, rather than just four separately-sold SR325(x) headphones? I'd appreciate your advice.

Constellation.jpg

Four right sides.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back