Grado Fan Club!
May 18, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #35,551 of 65,612
Hello grado fans, I've tried making a new thread asking about the SR200 non-hp1000 model I just purchased but didn't get any response at all so I'll copy and paste it here, I apologize if it's too long:

First off, I've tried searching old threads only to be overwhelmed with FS past posts for the hp1000 model. A few past post from years ago were still up while some were dead so I decided to make one to learn from the current gurus since there aren't a lot of talks about the non-hp1000 model SR200.

I recently purchased a pair of SR200 without pads locally for $90 (good deal?). I've been using the SR60i for years and thought what the heck I could use an "upgrade". I actually never heard of SR200 before. After making the deal I started researching and knew I didn't have the hp1000 model. The headphones were a bit dusty but I cleaned it up and he told he picked them up in 95, but a grado timeline post stated they were made until 93? No matter, I frequently listen to rock and i'm still very happy with them, but i have a few questions:

• Are these what is known as the "transitional" driver model?
  • If so, by transition does that mean they are just drivers from the SR225? Or do they relate more to another model?
  • What is the value of these nowadays? I can find anything online because it's all listing mainly the hp1000 model.
  • Can anyone educate this newbie about the sound of the SR200?
  • I've been using my sr60 pads on it, does it affect the sound at all? $50 for flats seems excessive for the price I paid for the headphones.
  • Any impression, information and history are also welcomed.
I'm just happy to pick up something rare or old and hope there will be more talk about them. Thanks in advance!

May 18, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #35,552 of 65,612
@kuutan
congrats.that's good find!

$90 seems all right.it's still a good deal.could you post some pictures? so we could take a look at it. i'm not an expert,so let others chime in

1.what's driver in that sr200? if its not blackstar. is it pink? or just normal white driver? there are transitional drivers, either way you still get a very different sound tuning from current grado soundsig

2.that's kinda hard to tell since grado has different batches of drivers.anyway i assume you familiar with grado sound since you listen to sr60i for few years.try to listen to your sr200. usually the old grado (the white drivers anyway) has balance tuning.little bit laid back and less energetic. the story was like this.since grado need to expand their headphone lines up to be more affordable than hp1000 price point.john put some less matching blackstar drivers into a plastic cup like sr100,200,and alumium sr300.and it was their lower models. at that time john put leftover blackstar drivers to the headphones until he got his own drivers.and renew the whole line up.into rs1,sr125 sr 225.sr 325,sr80,sr60.and since the drivers batch kinda different from each others (not sure what happened here) there are some pink drivers and white drivers and they all sound different from current grado lines up(not just from third generation(e) but also from first generation (non-i) ). so my guess was it was the transition time from grado. anyway you still got a unique sound from grado with your non blackstar sr200.and the differents not just the drivers but also the headband shape,headband leather.so pictures would be nice.the old grado headphones more like a frankenstein

3.not sure about the value.but since it's not blackstar drivers, it wont get that high anyway even though its more rare than blackstar

4.i don't have sr200 and never demo it.but i do have white drivers sr100.and it's sound different for sure.i even prefer sr100 sound than rs1 buttoned.and from sr60i even though sr100 sounded less energetic than sr60i, sr100 is better headphone for sure.so i assume sr200 would perform better than sr100. and i'm guessing the pink drivers would sound even better than the white drivers. your best hope is if you don't get black star drivers, you really want to get pink drivers.but even if you don't get the pink drivers, the white drivers still sound unique

5.it does. grado headphones no matter what model you hear. they all are very sensitive with pads.so different pad going to offer different sound. i try g-pad,flat pad,L-pad,s-pad with sr100. and i settled with L-pad.it's more balance sound and more comfy than flat pad. if you resist to spend that kind of money for flat pad, just go for L-pad.you won't be disappointed

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #35,553 of 65,612
@kuutan
congrats.that's good find!

$90 seems all right.it's still a good deal.could you post some pictures? so we could take a look at it. i'm not an expert,so let others chime in

1.what's driver in that sr200? if its not blackstar. is it pink? or just normal white driver? ...

Thank you so much for the thorough response! Ive learned quite a bit. I'll try to get a decent picture but the cheese cloth has seen some age and discoloration.

May 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #35,554 of 65,612
Thank you so much for the thorough response! Ive learned quite a bit. I'll try to get a decent picture but the cheese cloth has seen some age and discoloration.
it's all right. pink drivers and blackstar have very distinctive looks as long as you could get a close up decent picture it will tell. the white drivers look just just like normal grado drivers. also don't forget to take a picture for the headphone itself.i really curious what headband you get with your sr200

i just notice your profile picture.is that your sr200? you seems get a current grado headband shape and i think that's also the vinyl headband.
mine looks like this
9771707_l.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #35,556 of 65,612
if you could get a different angle for the front side of the driver it would be easier to identify it.but i'm guessing that's the white drivers because that's not the pink drivers and i don't see the dark color and red ring around it in that front side of the driver so it also not black star drivers. that's rare version of sr200 for sure :D

and my apology, it turned out your headband is the old grado leather headband but you have the current grado headband shape not like the hp1000 style

how about the sound? could you give a little bit impression of it? is it sound different from grado sound sig?

May 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #35,557 of 65,612
I can definitely make out a red ring but it's hard to see anything else without removing the cheese cloth...

As for the sound, if you can trust a noob to the game with only sr60i experience. It's definitely not as bright as the 60i, and I don't feel as fatigue hearing the sr200 than the 60i. Hmm... it feels like with the sr200 everything is pushed back a little? If that makes sense. I do appreciate the cleaner sound and more detail versus the 60i. Whereas the sound of the 60i was more upfront. At the same volume that I listen to the sr200 I felt it was not bearable with the 60i. And I'm doing the comparison on the same sr60i pads.

May 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #35,558 of 65,612
i see. more or less similar with impression i have with sr100. get hang on to it! that's pretty good headphone you've got there

May 19, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #35,559 of 65,612
i see. more or less similar with impression i have with sr100. get hang on to it! that's pretty good headphone you've got there

Thanks I will! But I'm going to play the heck out of them, I hope they last, because there's no replacement drivers. I think I'm already hooked on collecting grado phones. Hp1000 someday i hope.

May 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #35,560 of 65,612
May 20, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #35,561 of 65,612
Hey guys, I have a Grado RS1e and I really like them in general, but they are a tiny bit too thin sounding for me in the low end + sub bass. Is there another grado model that preserves the detail and crystal mids to the level of the RS1e but adds some warmth and "fullness" to the sound a bit? I've heard the PS500e might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure if they are as resolving as the RS1e in general detail. Thanks.

May 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #35,562 of 65,612
If you can find them, the buttoned RS1 originals are a bit more bassy than the RS1e. I also hear that the new GH2 is more bassy.

May 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #35,563 of 65,612
May 20, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #35,564 of 65,612
May 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #35,565 of 65,612
Can anyone give some suggestions btw GH2 and RS1e?

The rs1e sound signature is very peculiar. Fun after some burn in, but still a bit odd with roll off in both bass and treble. Nice soundstage and depth especially for on ear cans.

On the other hand, the gh2 is just awesome. Crisper treble than the rs1e but not as high as the rs2e. More bass presence than either rs headphone. With the rs1e, even thougj i liked the soundstage and depth it just wasnt right for rock when things got heavy. Sub-bass just isnt there when needed (im not even talking about rap, edm, hiphop, etc).

The gh2 can truly do no wrong. Nice bass, but still a grado and still a very forward sound. Personally i LOVE it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back