Grado Fan Club!
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #34,951 of 65,817
Ya, the "not made in USA" thing always bummed me out too. It's kinda like how my Jeep Renegade, a car from a distinctly American brand, was actually manufactured in Italy. :-/
I think the thing that also gets me about Grado is, while they say the GH-2 driver is "completely different", they don't LOOK completely different. They look like the same ventilated dynamic drivers they've always used, albeit with different color of paint on the magnet every once and a while.
Don't get me wrong, I love my GH-2 more and more every day, but, I'd love to see them come up with something truely different one of these days.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #34,954 of 65,817
i don't see the importance of a 'made in X' label, really. not in this case.
There's great and crappy headphones from the USA, Germany, Japan, and China.

I'm not listening to nationalism, i'm listening to music.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #34,955 of 65,817

true...esp when so much innovation has come from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong/Korea
the last few yrs, too: HiFIman, DUNU, Vsonics, FLC, and A&K, etc etc
...and what about all those DAPS so many people on here love....look where they come from.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #34,956 of 65,817
true...esp when so much innovation has come from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong/Korea
the last few yrs, too: HiFIman, DUNU, Vsonics, FLC, A&K
and all those DAPS so many people on here love.

I actually had FiiO in the back of my head, but indeed!

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #34,957 of 65,817

Well it goes deeper than that.. Yea in the end, the sound of the headphone is ultimately what matters most but there's still a lot beyond that which still has some importance. I get a lot more pride and joy out of something made in America, not just because I live here and manufacturing stimulates my countries econony, but also the quality of products in a mass scale are higher here than it is in China and it says something about a company when they care more about making great products in their home country versus saving a few bucks to have it done overseas.

Chinese factories use lower quality, cheaper parts (part of why it's cheaper to have things made there).. which affects the final product. The quality control is also, on average, less impressive.. and honestly for a company that boasts about family heritage and plastering "made in Brooklyn" everywhere.. I sort of feel slightly lied to.

These things don't matter to a lot of people and I'm not trying to bash Grado. (One of the main reasons I even care is because of how much I love Grado and their products). But to me I buy something (in this hobby especially), considering how expensive mid to high end headphones are getting.. I get a sense of pride of ownership and it goes far beyond how they sound. How they feel, where they are made, what materials are they made of and so on all matters to me as a consumer because I love the hobby so much and again.. I look at these great pieces as more than "just a headphone". I get emotionally invested in both the product and even the company.

Sorry for the rant haha

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #34,958 of 65,817
Also I love hifiman and dunu.. but I see those as a different situation. China and other asian countries have had some great innovation and built some very quality headphones and audio gear.. but the difference is when a headphone company has their products built in China (when they themselves are located very far away in a different country), they are doing this so that they can save money via cheaper labor and cheaper lower quality parts. So that's a totally different concept than a Chinese company building Chinese products. See what I'm saying?

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #34,959 of 65,817
Please try not to let your feelings overtake while reading the following, i'm trying to let mind, not heart, lead when talking about this sort of stuff. I do completely understand where you're coming from :)

Quote:
Well it goes deeper than that.. Yea in the end, the sound of the headphone is ultimately what matters most but there's still a lot beyond that which still has some importance. I get a lot more pride and joy out of something made in America, not just because I live here and manufacturing stimulates my countries economy, but also the quality of products in a mass scale are higher here than it is in China and it says something about a company when they care more about making great products in their home country versus saving a few bucks to have it done overseas.

we're still talking about Grado, right? the price of their in ears is quite hefty, and there have been many many quality issues with production in the past (not to say anything about uncomfortable headbands, and the plastic rodblocks)
I agree that it's great that they've been producing in Brooklyn since forever, and providing a steady income for the people that have been working for them for decades.

Chinese factories use lower quality, cheaper parts (part of why it's cheaper to have things made there).. which affects the final product. The quality control is also, on average, less impressive.. and honestly for a company that boasts about family heritage and plastering "made in Brooklyn" everywhere.. I sort of feel slightly lied to.

wood is wood, the plastic used in the stuff i have that's made in china seems to be same quality as that of Grado's stuff. most of the products you use, which will work for many many years have been produced in china/south korea/vietnam/india.

These things don't matter to a lot of people and I'm not trying to bash Grado. (One of the main reasons I even care is because of how much I love Grado and their products). But to me I buy something (in this hobby especially), considering how expensive mid to high end headphones are getting.. I get a sense of pride of ownership and it goes far beyond how they sound. How they feel, where they are made, what materials are they made of and so on all matters to me as a consumer because I love the hobby so much and again.. I look at these great pieces as more than "just a headphone". I get emotionally invested in both the product and even the company.

I care about the product as well, and I care about possible improvements to a product.
I think there are points where Grado should improve their headphones.

At the same time I feel that their cartridges are great, and their amp and phono amp are really good as well (even though these seem very expensive)
Same goes for the sound quality of their headphones.
I know that the cost is part in R&D, storage, rent, webhosting, living, etcetera.

but here's some speculation form my side:
the drivers they had before were (possibly) modified OEM drivers, (if they weren't OEM, why couldn't they get them anymore?)
the GR10 and GR8 were OEM housings, with possibly modified drivers.
the RA-1 is so close to the CMOY amp, that you wonder where the 300$ price difference comes from.

They're a unique company, and I do wish them all the best. but I do feel like they're having a huge markup on a lot of their products.

Sorry for the rant haha

same :wink:

I suppose this is where i get kicked out of the Grado fan club
rolleyes.gif

I forgot to add: the main difference between producers who produce in china, and companies in china , that we as outsiders see, is that the chinese mostly cheaply copy existing stuff. but this too makes sense. It saves on R&D. And if you want to make a profit, you'll have to sell for less money, and skip quality control, for maximum profit. (the previosuly named chinese companies differ greatly in this)

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #34,960 of 65,817
When it comes to Grado I can say something short and sweet that I have always believed.

Their design is consistent (little innovation) and the build quality (foam and plastic etc) is lacking.. but the sound is remarkable and oh so enjoyable.

Now I don't mind their designs too much and they definitely have like a niche old school approach.. but like someone said above - it would be nice to see something truly different.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #34,961 of 65,817
Well it goes deeper than that ... and honestly for a company that boasts about family heritage and plastering "made in Brooklyn" everywhere... I sort of feel slightly lied to.

+1 to this part. I feel lied to, as well, for the same reason.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #34,963 of 65,817
dude.... there's no official statement with hard evidence that said the driver comes from outside us.it's just speculation based on photos.even though i have to admit the odd really high on that one.especially when the cable outsource to china if i remember it correctly.it was stated in their website.the old one.they stated the cable wasn't really worth their time and effort so they just outsource it from china,they rather spend the time and effort to the headphone itself

and grado is still a family business, a small one. outsourcing the metal and wood in us still make sense,if that's true, the made is usa thing still apply and made in brooklyn if they outsource it to companies based in brooklyn, it also apply

but yea it's kinda bummed me out when jonathan said it's just not in house production

When it comes to Grado I can say something short and sweet that I have always believed.

Their design is consistent (little innovation) and the build quality (foam and plastic etc) is lacking.. but the sound is remarkable and oh so enjoyable.

Now I don't mind their designs too much and they definitely have like a niche old school approach.. but like someone said above - it would be nice to see something truly different.

maybe grado should try this thing.yamaha using this material for their new flagship speaker diaphragm.yamaha ns5000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zylon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back