Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #34,937 of 66,078
Got a gh2 in the mail this week. It is such a great headphone! A little more bass than the rs2e, a touch less treble, slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better imaging (not that the rs2e is a slacker in any of these regards). I love it, so far sounds great with rock, prog and metal, whether the recordings are dynamic or compressed.

Already i know its much more of what i want in a grado than the rs1e. Its a nice counterpart to tje rs2e though. I cant compare to the ps500e or gh1 though.

Beautiful too! However the black leather headband isnt quite as puffy as the brown...but that doesnt really matter :blush:

interesting..im thinking of getting GH2 as my next Grado upgrade, i listen mostly to metal..between rs2e and GH2, which one would you recommend for metal and rock?!

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #34,938 of 66,078

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #34,939 of 66,078

Howdy,

I just posted a more complete set of impressions than I previously did, sort of like a mini review on the GH2 Impressions thread.  I hope you all enjoy and look to participate on that thread too regarding the GH2, especially the lucky early adopters who may have already gotten or will be ordering the Limited Edition GH2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840598/grado-gh2-impressions#post_13375103

LINK above takes you to the thread......

To take away any suspense, I LOVE the GH2, if you like the discontinued GH1 you NEED to check out this headphone, it is a great phone at a super value

I did a small amount of comparison to the GH1 and will eventually get to do more and include my PS500e also.

beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #34,940 of 66,078
I've always wondered if they put the same drivers in more than one headphone. Something tells me they didn't develop a whole new driver for the GH2 and perhaps it's using the same driver as GH1 or RS2e and letting the wood and maybe some light tuning create the difference.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #34,941 of 66,078
interesting..im thinking of getting GH2 as my next Grado upgrade, i listen mostly to metal..between rs2e and GH2, which one would you recommend for metal and rock?!

Gh2 for metal is a joy, at least to me. It has a bit more bass for nice impact and the treble still has plenty of bite for electric guitars and cymbal detail.

Just listened to death's symbolic and it sounded great through the gh2.

Its a very well balanced headphone. I cant imagine this headphone falling flat on its face with ANY genre.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #34,942 of 66,078
  Received my GH2 to day - the wood is smooth and so beautiful to look at. Immediate impression: very rich and full bodied sound - right out of the box. I have my RS2i's and GS2ke's to compare with, but for now they have to wait. Bought also another pair of the TTVJ deluxe flat pads  - just to have in store. Have used them previously with the RS2i and what a result!
Will return after some more listening
dt880smile.png

Curious to hear how they compare with the GS2Ke.  I have a GS1KE that is mid-shy, and am looking for something with more richness in the mids.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #34,943 of 66,078
These interest me...Haven't had grados since 15 yrs ago w the 325s...Prob will sell my not much used senn 650s ...If my deal for the Sony Z1R doesn't come thru, then these new GH2 might do it....Would use with mojo on the road....Mapletree Ear+ HAD at home.
Want something for all genres.
My worry is in wearing glasses with these on ear.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #34,944 of 66,078
I've always wondered if they put the same drivers in more than one headphone. Something tells me they didn't develop a whole new driver for the GH2 and perhaps it's using the same driver as GH1 or RS2e and letting the wood and maybe some light tuning create the difference.

it's been like that for years. everyone always wondering if they just put same drivers and did little bit tuning. maybe they did. at the last part of the clip, jonathan said the wood,metal,and the drivers are not in house

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #34,945 of 66,078
Curious to hear how they compare with the GS2Ke.  I have a GS1KE that is mid-shy, and am looking for something with more richness in the mids.

I haven' had GS2ke for that long, so I was surprised to find myself pulling the trigger already for the GH2's, but they looked so pretty. However, I must admit that I am so impressed with the GH2. Have replaced the stock pads with the TTVJ deluxe flat pads. Might bias the evaluation because you ears are so much closer to the driver compared with GS2k with G cush. Have listened directly from my NW-ZX2. What a bas on GH2! And altogether such an engaging headphone. I agree with previous statements that I have doubts if it will come short in any genre. So far I've mostly listened to jazz and vocals (The worlds greatest audiophile recordings, Chesky). The GS2ke seems to provide a bigger soundstage and more details but the fun factor is a bit smaller. I love both and think that I will use them for different purposes (and the GS2ke' are very comfortable). As it is probably apparent by now, I am a newbie on reviewing this stuff, but please have look on the GH2 review by @esl-1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/840598/grado-gh2-impressions#post_13375103

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #34,946 of 66,078
I haven' had GS2ke for that long, so I was surprised to find myself pulling the trigger already for the GH2's, but they looked so pretty. However, I must admit that I am so impressed with the GH2. Have replaced the stock pads with the TTVJ deluxe flat pads. Might bias the evaluation because you ears are so much closer to the driver compared with GS2k with G cush. Have listened directly from my NW-ZX2. What a bas on GH2! And altogether such an engaging headphone. I agree with previous statements that I have doubts if it will come short in any genre. So far I've mostly listened to jazz and vocals (The worlds greatest audiophile recordings, Chesky). The GS2ke seems to provide a bigger soundstage and more details but the fun factor is a bit smaller. I love both and think that I will use them for different purposes (and the GS2ke' are very comfortable). As it is probably apparent by now, I am a newbie on reviewing this stuff, but please have look on the GH2 review by @esl-1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/840598/grado-gh2-impressions#post_13375103

Could you try the G cushions on the GH2 and tell us your impressions, please?

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #34,947 of 66,078

it's been like that for years. everyone always wondering if they just put same drivers and did little bit tuning. maybe they did. at the last part of the clip, jonathan said the wood,metal,and the drivers are not in house

I asked Grado on this today, esp when trying to decide on the Gs1000e or GH2.
what i'm also trying to figure out and the sound sigs between the 2 modles (GH2 and Gs1000e)

also are these new GH2 just a different wood on the same RS1e?
or are the drivers different, too..or anything else truly different
to distinguish the sound signature?

my friend has the GS1000e...

i asked grado on the diffs between the 2 models:

...''apples and oranges

the GH2 is a lush , harmonic filled headphone

the GS1000 is a big sounding sound stage.

the GH2 will become a collectors piece, so it is good bang for the buck

GS1000e, overall is a better headphone.''

update: 

and on the GH2 vs RS1 (were they the same cans but diff cups only)?

''completely different drivers in the GH2

not even close to the RS1''

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #34,949 of 66,078
I kinda got a little sad when I found out their wood, metals and drivers themselves aren't made in-house by Grado and most likely overseas in Asia. At least the final assembly is done here in America by them and obviously the design is by them.

It would really be impossible to do the woodworking there on-site.  That place is small.  Doesn't mean its shipped overseas though.  

Wouldn't surprise me if the drivers are made in China though.

Couldn't care less about the metal, what little there is.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #34,950 of 66,078
I kinda got a little sad when I found out their wood, metals and drivers themselves aren't made in-house by Grado and most likely overseas in Asia. At least the final assembly is done here in America by them and obviously the design is by them.

yes.that's kinda explain a little bit about the quality control. when you outsource it to someone else the quality control get a little bit loose

and that's what headfiers argued a lot in the past whether or not they made the drivers in house because of some photos indicate their drivers are not in house production. and it's probably from china. and if i remember correctly when i read about blackstar drivers, it also outsource and some headfiers speculate the drivers probably from japan

not sure about metal.but the woodwork probably still outsource in usa. when they used to sell the rs1 in wooden box.that wooden box made by some company located near their labs

anyway they still make great headphone!

I asked Grado on this today, esp when trying to decide on the Gs1000e or GH2.
what i'm also trying to figure out and the sound sigs between the 2 modles (GH2 and Gs1000e)

also are these new GH2 just a different wood on the same RS1e?
or are the drivers different, too..or anything else truly different
to distinguish the sound signature?

my friend has the GS1000e...

i asked grado on the diffs between the 2 models:

...''apples and oranges

the GH2 is a lush , harmonic filled headphone

the GS1000 is a big sounding sound stage.

the GH2 will become a collectors piece, so it is good bang for the buck

GS1000e, overall is a better headphone.''

update: 

and on the GH2 vs RS1 (were they the same cans but diff cups only)?

''completely different drivers in the GH2

not even close to the RS1''

that's rare. when you ask a question to grado and you get a straight answer from them.

i think the heritage series is their way to do something little bit different from their grado sound like maybe their tuning.i'm not sure.. i heard from my friend who already listen their limited series like hf1, hf2, bushmills, the sound little bit different from their any existence models. i never heard the gh2 but when i heard gh1 it is kinda different. i like it though. so maybe heritage series worth to keep. who knows price might go up after its discontinue  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back