Grado Fan Club!
Mar 16, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #34,907 of 65,693
I don't like this thick GH1 cable for portable us at home...it's too heavy!!!

So do you mean you want to re-cable your GH1 for portable use?
Or do you want to balance them with a 4-pin male XLR?

8-Conductor Cable:
Pin 1 = Left Positive (Red Wire) & 1-Blue Negative (32-Ohms)
Pin 2 = Left Negative (Red Wire) " "
Pin 3 = Right Positive (White Wire) " "
Pin 4 = Right Negative (white Wire) " "

After cutting the 1/8" TRS termination off check for (32-Ohms) with a Multi-Meter between the LEFT SIDE +/- (RED) wires and 2 out of the 4 negative (BLUE) wires. Once you've determined which 2 negative (BLUE) wires read (32-Ohms) to the LEFT SIDE +/- (RED) wires twist 1 of the negative (BLUE) wire to the LEFT SIDE + (RED) wire and the other negative (BLUE) wire to the LEFT SIDE - (RED) wire. Now solder the 4 wires coming from the LEFT SIDE driver to pin #'s 1&2 as shown below. Repeat for the RIGHT SIDE driver with the +/- (WHITE) wires and 2 remaining negative (BlUE) wires for pin #s 3&4. Now you have a balanced 4-pin male XLR terminated cable. I did my GH1 as well!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #34,908 of 65,693
  I don't like this thick GH1 cable for portable us at home...it's too heavy!!!

The stock 8 conductor cable on my RS2e is also to heavy for such a light headphone, I've yet to take the time to do the cable change, been too busy with other project, but it will get done some day soon

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #34,910 of 65,693
Hi Guys
I am new to this expensive forum. Started out a couple of years ago with the RS2i's and I have enjoyed them much. Later on got a god deal on the 80i (for work of course). Then came the iGrado (for sports of course). Happened to start to following this tread and guess what: Now I am listing to this beautiful voice on my almost new (+400 h burn in) GS2000e's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USK1VjV-nO8

What a treat. To make things even worse - with no more excuses - I just ordered the new GH2's. Have realized that - as an ex- pibe smoker afficionado - that I fall in love with the wood. Fortunately, this is so much better to yours ears than smoke is to your lungs....
beyersmile.png

Hope that this doesn't interfere too much with the current discussions, I just had to start some where......

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #34,911 of 65,693
Got a gh2 in the mail this week. It is such a great headphone! A little more bass than the rs2e, a touch less treble, slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better imaging (not that the rs2e is a slacker in any of these regards). I love it, so far sounds great with rock, prog and metal, whether the recordings are dynamic or compressed.

Already i know its much more of what i want in a grado than the rs1e. Its a nice counterpart to tje rs2e though. I cant compare to the ps500e or gh1 though.

Beautiful too! However the black leather headband isnt quite as puffy as the brown...but that doesnt really matter :blush:

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #34,912 of 65,693
Got a gh2 in the mail this week. It is such a great headphone! A little more bass than the rs2e, a touch less treble, slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better imaging (not that the rs2e is a slacker in any of these regards). I love it, so far sounds great with rock, prog and metal, whether the recordings are dynamic or compressed.

Already i know its much more of what i want in a grado than the rs1e. Its a nice counterpart to tje rs2e though. I cant compare to the ps500e or gh1 though.

Beautiful too! However the black leather headband isnt quite as puffy as the brown...but that doesnt really matter :blush:

nice!!

you could always change the headband with headband from turbulent. it is much better headband 
http://turbulentlabs.com/products/view-all/

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #34,914 of 65,693
The GFC been a little too quiet fellas! Y'all wake up!

In my recent perusings, I've stumbled onto this Agon listing. The synergy with Grados is legendary so I'm just gonna leave this here: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-mapletree-audio-ear-hd-headphone-amp-2017-03-22-headphones-20886-montgomery-village-md--3

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #34,915 of 65,693
  The GFC been a little too quiet fellas! Y'all wake up!

In my recent perusings, I've stumbled onto this Agon listing. The synergy with Grados is legendary so I'm just gonna leave this here: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-mapletree-audio-ear-hd-headphone-amp-2017-03-22-headphones-20886-montgomery-village-md--3

i still have curious with melos sha gold and krell ksa5

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #34,916 of 65,693
Hey fellow Grado fans. I've been inactive in the headphone world and haven't posted here in months.. but I'm back and ready for action. If any of you know where to find a brand new original PS1k (non e) then let me know. I know it's nearly an impossible task haha

PS - hope everyone has been good and I look forward to chatting with new people too!

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #34,917 of 65,693
So, I couldn't wait to save up for one of the high-end Grados, so I ended up getting a pair of SR325e headphones, which weren't as bright as what I thought they may have been, having come from a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones. Anyway, currently breaking them in, and at the moment listening to some John Williams (the guitarist) playing Vivaldi. Awesome! :)

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #34,918 of 65,693
  So, I couldn't wait to save up for one of the high-end Grados, so I ended up getting a pair of SR325e headphones, which weren't as bright as what I thought they may have been, having come from a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones. Anyway, currently breaking them in, and at the moment listening to some John Williams (the guitarist) playing Vivaldi. Awesome! :)

I think the 325e are spectacular sounding...enjoy!

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #34,920 of 65,693
Received my GH2 to day - the wood is smooth and so beautiful to look at. Immediate impression: very rich and full bodied sound - right out of the box. I have my RS2i's and GS2ke's to compare with, but for now they have to wait. Bought also another pair of the TTVJ deluxe flat pads  - just to have in store. Have used them previously with the RS2i and what a result!
Will return after some more listening
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back