Grado Fan Club!
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #34,891 of 65,693
How does gh1, gh2 compare with gs2000e? I notice in this thread there are many people talking about gh1 and gh2, but only few/none talks about gs2000e, I have rs1i and ps500 already , no more grado on-ear headphone for me, so I am interested in gs2000e.

I'd try the GH2 but the Canadian Grado markup is awful. I paid $2200 for my GS2000e which is $1630 USD, far higher than the USA retail price of $1395 USD. The GH1 was selling for $960 CAD ($710 USD) and I'd rather wait to see if the GH2 is outright better than the GH1/RS1e/GS1000e before pulling the trigger.

What I can tell you is that I only loved the GS2000e after EQing a significant bass boost to it. Compared at stock, I think you'd prefer your own PS500. I still got the GS2000e because it was shockingly lightweight for its size and was ok with EQ.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #34,892 of 65,693
the headphones are not mine, the pictures also not mine. i just want to share some indonesian project.the project was in 2012, the drivers using magnum v4 drivers, the timber is indian rosewood or called sonokeling in indonesia. the timber choices was mahogany or indian rosewood, and they have different tonal.and since this is more like a budget project. so they could only order single batch of timber, and the vote went to indian rosewood. i had a chance to listen to this headphone for about 2 weeks in my home. the sound surprisingly very good

there's also this one. the dude told me.it's heavy!

which remind me to this person. there's used to be a headfi dude name racio. his grado just pure beauty
http://www.head-fi.org/u/80013/racio

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #34,893 of 65,693
  the headphones are not mine, the pictures also not mine. i just want to share some indonesian project.the project was in 2012, the drivers using magnum v4 drivers, the timber is indian rosewood or called sonokeling in indonesia. the timber choices was mahogany or indian rosewood, and they have different tonal.and since this is more like a budget project. so they could only order single batch of timber, and the vote went to indian rosewood. i had a chance to listen to this headphone for about 2 weeks in my home. the sound surprisingly very good

there's also this one. the dude told me.it's heavy!

which remind me to this person. there's used to be a headfi dude name racio. his grado just pure beauty
http://www.head-fi.org/u/80013/racio

the pad using bowl pad cover with garfield earpad
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368317-REG/Garfield_SGARHS5_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #34,894 of 65,693
So after owning and using the RS1e for about half a year or so, I've decided that I should probably sell it. When I do comparisons with the RS2e, I find that the RS1e is just not suited to the music I like to listen to (progrock, metal, some indie rock). Maybe if I listened to jazz, acoustic, or more vocal-oriented music, I would feel differently. However its peculiar sound signature, though highly interesting sometimes, is usually a worse choice for me. Too bad, it's a beautiful headphone!

As an alternative, I'm thinking the PS500e or GH2 might be a better fit. Between those 2 headphones, I'm not sure what the better choice might be. I like the idea of a more bass-forward on-ear Grado. I imagine there's no "better" choice here, but if anyone is familiar with both headphones, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

If it makes a difference, I'll likely be playing these one a Fiio X5ii, Vali 2, Project Polaris, or Audeze Deckard (unless it's too bright on the Deckard)

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #34,895 of 65,693
So after owning and using the RS1e for about half a year or so, I've decided that I should probably sell it. When I do comparisons with the RS2e, I find that the RS1e is just not suited to the music I like to listen to (progrock, metal, some indie rock). Maybe if I listened to jazz, acoustic, or more vocal-oriented music, I would feel differently. However its peculiar sound signature, though highly interesting sometimes, is usually a worse choice for me. Too bad, it's a beautiful headphone!

As an alternative, I'm thinking the PS500e or GH2 might be a better fit. Between those 2 headphones, I'm not sure what the better choice might be. I like the idea of a more bass-forward on-ear Grado. I imagine there's no "better" choice here, but if anyone is familiar with both headphones, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

If it makes a difference, I'll likely be playing these one a Fiio X5ii, Vali 2, Project Polaris, or Audeze Deckard (unless it's too bright on the Deckard)

Did your RS1e come with a brown headband, or black? Brown ones have their drivers less protruding onto the ear and sound better; black ones are usually with highly protruding drivers (over 1/8") and do not sound as good, though some most recent black ones do not protrude and sound better.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #34,896 of 65,693

PS1000e!!!! i always find the higher end of grados a little bit polite compare to prestige series. listening rock and metal, especially metal there's always something missing with rs1,gs1000i,gh1. which i assume rs2,gh2,ps500 also sharing the same attribute. but with ps1000e you get those raw energy back

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #34,897 of 65,693
Did your RS1e come with a brown headband, or black? Brown ones have their drivers less protruding onto the ear and sound better; black ones are usually with highly protruding drivers (over 1/8") and do not sound as good, though some most recent black ones do not protrude and sound better.

Mine are the newer ones with the brown headband and very-nearly-flush drivers :blush: the midrange on these is great and i love the deeper sound, but the lack of bass hinders a number of recordings as does the rolled off treble. I think a different grado would make a good rs2e companion for me.

PS1000e!!!! i always find the higher end of grados a little bit polite compare to prestige series. listening rock and metal, especially metal there's always something missing with rs1,gs1000i,gh1. which i assume rs2,gh2,ps500 also sharing the same attribute. but with ps1000e you get those raw energy back

Interesting! I have gs1000i but im saving it for a special occassion before i use it regularly. I dont find it lacking at all, but its treble isnt suited for everything.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #34,898 of 65,693
Mine are the newer ones with the brown headband and very-nearly-flush drivers :blush: the midrange on these is great and i love the deeper sound, but the lack of bass hinders a number of recordings as does the rolled off treble. I think a different grado would make a good rs2e companion for me.
Interesting! I have gs1000i but im saving it for a special occassion before i use it regularly. I dont find it lacking at all, but its treble isnt suited for everything.

I looked in your profile and saw that you have a SR225e?  If you still have it you could mod them, I put dynamat in the cups, opened up 2 vent holes, felt on the back of the button, a piece of sorbothane on the back of the driver and some cheap G pads from ebay, this transforms the 225e in to a Grado with bass, makes a PS500 sound bass lite.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #34,899 of 65,693
I looked in your profile and saw that you have a SR225e?  If you still have it you could mod them, I put dynamat in the cups, opened up 2 vent holes, felt on the back of the button, a piece of sorbothane on the back of the driver and some cheap G pads from ebay, this transforms the 225e in to a Grado with bass, makes a PS500 sound bass lite.

Pretty awesome mod, i think i read about it before. Unfortunately i dont have that headphone anymore, ended up selling it simply because i liked the rs2e more.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #34,901 of 65,693
Tried the GH2 today at Can Jam Singapore. What a fantastic sounding headphone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice.
Someone bought the GH2 along with them, or did a vendor had them to listen to their products?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #34,903 of 65,693

My senngrado's have sonokeling cups which I cut myself. I listen to a lot of jazz piano and the texture they give to wooden instruments really puts you in the room.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #34,905 of 65,693
Not very complex, local audio shop or electronic repair shop should be able be to do it for you. If you email Grado they will give you the wire colors and which wire is what. You might be able to do it yourself. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back