Grado Fan Club!
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #34,651 of 65,797
Good Saturday morning to all of you "Gradoheads"....Get your coffee and lets loosen up those drivers in your best Grado cans!

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #34,652 of 65,797
@whirlwind right now I have Jimi Hendrix playing the track Red House. (From, The Best of Jimi Hendrix.) Ha, lush. ...Now moved onto track Voodoo Child.

I remember catching a Jo Bonamassa track while I was researching electro-acoustic guitars to buy. He was playing a Yamaha LJX26, and that was pretty much the title of the Youtube video. (I am not buying the 26 by the way, but I think I am buying my guitar this week.)

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #34,653 of 65,797
  @whirlwind right now I have Jimi Hendrix playing the track Red House. (From, The Best of Jimi Hendrix.) Ha, lush. ...Now moved onto track Voodoo Child.

I remember catching Jo Bonamassa track while I was researching electro-acoustic guitars to buy. He was playing a Yamaha LJX26, and that was pretty much the title of the Youtube video. (I am not buying the 26 by the way, but I think I am buying my guitar this week.)

first time i heard little wing. man what a blues

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #34,654 of 65,797

I have got to sort this. I can't stop listening.

Just a note though: I thought G-pads made less bass. However for me there is no question I would keep the L-cushion. I have found them endlessly comfortable and much cooler than the S-cushions on the SR60e/80e/125e. That's actually why I am not considering the S-cushions for these.

I might think again about the TTVJ flat pads though. I think they might stay cooler than the normal S-cushions. (Yet not as cool as the L-cushions.) Comfort-wise they might be as comfy as the L-cushion to me. (That's with there being no cushion over the white grill, leaving room for earlobes.)

Honestly I find the L-cushion just perfect. I even wrote a thread about it. It was a bit long-winded but I think I got the point over. (With my effort straining to tell other sufferers.) http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_12461917

The G pads that I use are the really cheap ones ($5 to $6 includes shipping) from ebay, not the 3 layer construction ones which cost $40+.  One reason the bass is better is a bit better is the foam is a not as open as the real Gardo G or L pads middle section which doesn't let the bass leak out, this is way some use tape or glue for Hifiman and Fostex ear pads, to get a good seal so the bass doesn't leak out.

I can't used the S pads, they put pressure in the wrong places for me and the L pads are a bit more comfortable but still not like the G pads which have the edges of the pad against my head and there is very little pressure anywhere on my ears.

And I do remember reading your post but for me the L and S just don't work.

Makes complete sense over the copies of G-pads. What a find you have there.

I figured it was as bass sound travels through walls in houses, but not the treble. High frequencies attenuate when travelling through materials. I am going to have to do your mod or the tape mod. That way I can use my 225e on all sources, and not just JRiver and PC.

Anyway my L-cushion do not touch my head at the back of the ear. They rest on the furthest back edge of the pinna. The fronts of the pads rest on my cheeks, (and actually leave a mark). However I recall using the L-cushion wrongly for a while. The centre part of the Grado white mesh resting on my pinna and it was agony. I was at breaking point and had given up on the L-cushion, right at that point. Then I recalled how my 225e were comfy when I first tried them. I reset the position back to how I had them and a comfortable relationship was born. (NB I am not rattling on at you about L-cushion by the way. Please don't take offence. I am just leaving notes here for other newcomers.)

I can't re-iterate enough how much these headphones have improved since I cut those high peaks out with EQ. I listened for hours last night, then picked my 225e now up now and carried on. It's not just the bass comes forward, it's the mids too. It's like listening to my music new.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #34,655 of 65,797
So I used to have the PS500e and really liked them, however, I wanted to try something else... thinking I was upgrading and well... lets just say I really miss my PS500e, I have the chance to pickup a pair of PS500..... and anyone give me a brief comparison of the two. I listen to also of acoustic, and some rock, but I am all about vocals and clarity.

Thanks!!

James

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #34,658 of 65,797
Hi guys, 
Anybody know when the PS2000e coming out for sales ? I know it's already built by Grado and tested ...

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #34,660 of 65,797
Should I sell the car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361906397551

what good is a car if you could float on the sweet sounds of music? :wink:

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #34,663 of 65,797
I covet things like this but I wonder whether they'd be a revelation or a disappointment? Would my money, which i really don't have, be better spent elsewhere in the range?

Depends (doesn't it always??)

Despite its statement of "intact lettering,"  the "O" in "Grado" on the right earpiece is mostly gone.

If you are a collector of Grados (as I am), this is a great price in a way-better-than-average condition HP2.  The HP1000 series, designed by Joseph Grado because he needed an accurate headphone to diagnose his new invention, the HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner, is super flat, super detailed, and unlike the current Grado Labs headphones with their fun sound profile.  The HP2, which is the second of the series, differs from the original HP1 (which I have) by removing the polarity switches of the HP1 and using the new Ultra Wideband cable.

The headphones are no plastic, all metal construction.  I love mine.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #34,664 of 65,797

Depends (doesn't it always??)

Despite its statement of "intact lettering,"  the "O" in "Grado" on the right earpiece is mostly gone.

If you are a collector of Grados (as I am), this is a great price in a way-better-than-average condition HP2.  The HP1000 series, designed by Joseph Grado because he needed an accurate headphone to diagnose his new invention, the HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner, is super flat, super detailed, and unlike the current Grado Labs headphones with their fun sound profile.  The HP2, which is the second of the series, differs from the original HP1 (which I have) by removing the polarity switches of the HP1 and using the new Ultra Wideband cable.

The headphones are no plastic, all metal construction.  I love mine.

I agree John, that is a great price, by the way, you have a good eye, because I thought that all the lettering was intact. My HP2 have one number, and four letters that each have about 25% missing but then I paid $350 for mine so I guess I got a great price too,
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #34,665 of 65,797
So I used to have the PS500e and really liked them, however, I wanted to try something else... thinking I was upgrading and well... lets just say I really miss my PS500e, I have the chance to pickup a pair of PS500..... and anyone give me a brief comparison of the two. I listen to also of acoustic, and some rock, but I am all about vocals and clarity.

Thanks!!

James

James - no one seems to have replied to this so I will just throw in that I am loving my PS500 at the moment... when the change to 'e' happened I had just ordered an RS1i and received instead the transitional model which turned into the RS1e. It was disappointing on several levels, and, in a  panic, I ordered a PS500 from Amazon that was still offered (alongside some PS500e models). I suspected, you see, that all the Grado 'e' models would have the same sort of problem that I had encountered with the RS1i/e. Well, to be brief, the PS500 turned out to be excellent and I enjoy them very much. You won't regret buying them and they continue to improve with use in normal Grado fashion. I can't, however, compare them to the PS500e as I don't own those (yet :)) I hope that some of the wise around here will be able to address your question. Maybe @ruthieandjohn or @stacker45 or @joseph69 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back