Grado Fan Club!
Dec 19, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #34,021 of 65,789
  thanks!

i'm using CKIII, i've been thinking to buy tube amp. but i'm afraid it's going to change the sound dramatically, since i never experience tube sound before. i read a lot of good things about little dot amp from lowest end up to MKIV but beyond that, not a lot of people talk about it. so my first thought was maybe not that good... is it massive different between single ended and balance with grado? i once tried gs1000i with b22 4 boards long time ago. it's better but not enough justification i guess...bass really tight for sure.black background.and that's about it.it was long time ago.maybe i should try to 
listen to it again.

btw do you guys also using iem? is there any iem that has grado sound? i'm currently using shure se846. and i just kept thinking maybe i should change with something else.i'm thinking gr10e but what if its a downgrade from se846

It depends on the amp. Generally tube amps are more euphonic and warmer sounding and SS a drier sound. I don't want to generalize too much because it really depends on the amp and manufacturer. There are SS amps out there that definitely have a warmer, laidback almost tube like presentation and others on the opposite end of the spectrum that are cold and analytic sounding.

Same goes for tube amps, there are some spectacular higher end tube amps that are extremely transparent, resolving and musical with a touch of that tube magic. What's nice about tubes if you have the time, money and patience is the ability to tube roll and tune the sound of the amp to your liking.

You can't go wrong with virtually any Little Dot Amp. Tube or SS. All of their amps are fantastic and they pair wonderful with Grados.

They seem to be pretty popular in this thread!

I'm also curious about Grado in ears. I really love my Etymotic ER-4PTs for a variety of reasons, to me they are the ideal sounding IEM. But there is something intriguing about the GR10. I wonder if Grado was able to truly get their signature sound into those IEMs.

I use either the GS-X mk2 or WA6.
I balanced my PS1K/GH1/RS1i because I use them in a fully balanced system with my mk2. I left the 325is SE because their my desktop HP's which I use with the Magni/Modi combo almost all of the time. I also made a 4-pin XLR>SE adapter so I for use with the WA6.

Very Nice. The GSX is a monster for sure.

I'm definitely more of a balanced audio guy myself. I enjoyed my balanced PS1000s when I had them. And all of my other non-Grados except my AKGs are all balanced.

It's a bit of dilemma with Grados though for me because they are so easy to drive using them balanced can easily over drive them (because of the extra gain on balanced) and you lose some of that nuance and natural soft to loud dynamics. I found myself adjusting the volume a lot more often on my balanced PS1000s.

The stereo image is most definitely wider with more of an impact to the sound in general. You can make out details on balanced from each channel easier and on SE it's more like one unison stereo sound focused in the middle.

You can't go wrong either way.

Have you ever found the GSX sounding like it was over driving your Grados?

Just curious... I bet they all sound amazing on it.

How do you like the GH1 BTW?

Does anyone else enjoy the part about Grado's open backs that lets in subtle ambient noises like the crackling of a fireplace, or birds chirping? I swear it makes me happier than hogs in the mud. I'm listening to "Winter Was Hard" by Kronos Quartet right now by the fire, and it feels like I have a personal performance in my living room.
I'm using a McIntosh MHA100 with all my headphones. Great solid state amp, and it certainly delivers those deep black backgrounds you're referring to. I love this. It reminds me of the blackest blacks on quality photographic fiber paper. Which is of part of what Grado's do for me in general.

Yes, I enjoy that very much on all of my open headphones but the Grados in particular.

I can only imagine the pleasure that amp must bring you! Always loved Mac gear.

Do you use the DAC section on your MHA100? If so how do you like it? Do you feel it's up to par with Macs legendary amp tech?

Almost bought an MHA100/150, but I don't have the space and good place to put it... I wish I did have the room.

Anybody hear have the D100/150? It's their Digital Source Controller/DAC/Headphone Amp. Curious how good the headphone amp section in it is.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #34,022 of 65,789
I've read some people feel that the DAC could be better, considering the price and reputation of McIntosh. However I've found it to be excellent--my only real source of at home reference is the DAC mod for my NAD 356BEE, which is IMO a very good DAC, and the Mac is absolutely a notch (or two!) up from that. I do imagine that using an equally expensive, dedicated DAC would yield slightly better results. But for my money/budget... I'll not likely find out.
I am also using the USB input currently. When my ankle heals (it's broken) and I have more free range to shuffle my gear I am going to run quality audioquest TOSlink cables instead of the basic USB cable I'm currently using. I suspect this will slightly increase the quality, though I really am 100% satisfied as is with my Elear and Grado cans/amp--honestly never heard better. Even at the dealership while running through all their amps and DAPs with the Elear and Utopia for an hour I found I was most happy with the MHA100.
Cheers

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #34,023 of 65,789
  Very Nice. The GSX is a monster for sure.

I'm definitely more of a balanced audio guy myself. I enjoyed my balanced PS1000s when I had them. And all of my other non-Grados except my AKGs are all balanced.

It's a bit of dilemma with Grados though for me because they are so easy to drive using them balanced can easily over drive them (because of the extra gain on balanced) and you lose some of that nuance and natural soft to loud dynamics. I found myself adjusting the volume a lot more often on my balanced PS1000s.

The stereo image is most definitely wider with more of an impact to the sound in general. You can make out details on balanced from each channel easier and on SE it's more like one unison stereo sound focused in the middle.

You can't go wrong either way.

Have you ever found the GSX sounding like it was over driving your Grados?

Just curious... I bet they all sound amazing on it.

How do you like the GH1 BTW?

Thank you!
I actually just balanced my Grado a few months back because I had gotten the mk2 after owning the GS-1 w/Dynalo + modules & DACT. I have the PWD-ll so I figured why not use my system in fully balanced mode? Maybe it's me, but I find HeadAmp/Grados to  sound amazingly smooth and detailed and an overall well balanced sound.

I can't say I find myself adjusting the volume due to being balanced, or ever feel that their being overdrive or have any loss. I hear what you described above…a wider sound-stage with better depth as well as instrument separation and agree that the SE seems more focused on the center of the sound.

I love my GH1 w/G cushions…nice sweet sounding HP!
The GH1 have a unique sound that I've never heard from a Grado, but still retain that Grado magic and I really enjoy listening to them very much.

Have you ever heard the GH1?
If so, with what cushions?

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #34,024 of 65,789
Cool!

Yeah they all must sound great on your rig everything full balanced input to output.

PS Audio makes great quality stuff. Because they tend to over produce their gear above demand, they can be had well below MSRP brand new.

I had their DirectStream and loved it but sold it when I "upgraded" to the Bricasti M1 SE. Never heard the PWD-II but I know people love it so much they don't have the desire to buy the DirectStream upgrade kit.

All DACs at that level sound really, really good. They just have minor differences between them. It's really the feature sets of all those competing DACs that sets them apart from one another. And minor differences in their sonic qualities.

And even though they all reproduce sound differently, R2R, FPGA, Sigma Delta Chip(s) then end result is great audio. Some DACs pair better with certain amps than others. That's really why I changed to the Bricasti.

I find that it pairs better with my Little Dot Flagships than the PSA DSD did. The PSA DSD was amazing with the Woo WA22 though.

One thing I really miss about the PS Audio PWD/DirectStream was that it was basically an all in one source controller. Where as the M1 is just a pure DAC.

My favorite feature about it was DLNA audio streaming via Ethernet with the Bridge II installed feeding it via Jriver and Playing the music on the screen with metadata and covert art.

The Ethernet input sounded as good as any of the other digital inputs. I recall it having more of an analog flavor to it than Coax or i2s.

Unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of hearing the GH1 yet!!

Your impressions are right in line with the virtually unanimous praise the GH1 receives even from Grado critics. Clearly they did something right.

I've read that also they sound unique among Grados, certainly among their current lineup. In which respect is it unique sound wise among Grados?

Which Grado past or present would you say sounds closest to the GH1? Never heard it, just so I have an idea!!!

Maybe I'll sell/trade my HF2 I use at work to get one!

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #34,025 of 65,789
  Cool!

Yeah they all must sound great on your rig everything full balanced input to output.

PS Audio makes great quality stuff. Because they tend to over produce their gear above demand, they can be had well below MSRP brand new.

I had their DirectStream and loved it but sold it when I "upgraded" to the Bricasti M1 SE. Never heard the PWD-II but I know people love it so much they don't have the desire to buy the DirectStream upgrade kit.

All DACs at that level sound really, really good. They just have minor differences between them. It's really the feature sets of all those competing DACs that sets them apart from one another. And minor differences in their sonic qualities.

And even though they all reproduce sound differently, R2R, FPGA, Sigma Delta Chip(s) then end result is great audio. Some DACs pair better with certain amps than others. That's really why I changed to the Bricasti.

I find that it pairs better with my Little Dot Flagships than the PSA DSD did. The PSA DSD was amazing with the Woo WA22 though.

One thing I really miss about the PS Audio PWD/DirectStream was that it was basically an all in one source controller. Where as the M1 is just a pure DAC.

My favorite feature about it was DLNA audio streaming via Ethernet with the Bridge II installed feeding it via Jriver and Playing the music on the screen with metadata and covert art.

The Ethernet input sounded as good as any of the other digital inputs. I recall it having more of an analog flavor to it than Coax or i2s.

Unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of hearing the GH1 yet!!

Your impressions are right in line with the virtually unanimous praise the GH1 receives even from Grado critics. Clearly they did something right.

I've read that also they sound unique among Grados, certainly among their current lineup. In which respect is it unique sound wise among Grados?

Which Grado past or present would you say sounds closest to the GH1? Never heard it, just so I have an idea!!!

Maybe I'll sell/trade my HF2 I use at work to get one!

Yes, I do love mu PWD-ll which I also use the Ethernet connection which does give more warmer analog sound, and one of my favorite things is the Album art as well! I also like that it is an all in one controller to. I'm actually waiting for the (R2R) Holo Audio USA-Spring DAC Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition" which plays both PCM/DSD. I should be receiving it sometime in late January and I'm going to link it with the Schiit Wyrd/Singxer SU1. So…MBP>Wyrd>SU1>Spring DAC using USB/i2s connections and hear which configuration I prefer with my set ups. I've read some great impressions on the SU1/Spring DAC so I'm just in the mood to try something different, thats all.

I would say the GH1 sounds unique in respect to having a nice overall full smooth sound with a beautiful warmth to them without losing that Grado detail/clarity, and I feel they perform very well with any of my music Genres and all in all a very enjoyable listening experience for me with the Grado G cushions! [size=x-small]I would say the closest sounding Grado that I have is the PS1K.[/size][size=x-small] When the GH1 was released Grado claimed the GH1 would fall between the RS2 and the PS500 but unfortunately I've never heard neither. If you do have the opportunity to purchase a GH1, I highly recommend them.[/size]

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #34,026 of 65,789
Listening to my HP-2i now, out of the Holo Audio Spring and an ECP-L2 amp. The HP-2i is very similar to a standard HP-2, but Joe Grado did some additional tuning to the drivers, pads and enclosures before he passed. He slightly changed the porosity of the enclosure by adding some sort of goo, put in some NOS drivers that he had further worked on, and did something unknown to the pads. Maybe soaked them in olive oil? Hard to say.

What is easy to say is that everything wonderful about the HP1000 is made more wonderful with Joe's later mods. These are the most neutral, lifelike headphones I've ever heard. I owned and sold pink driver RS1s, PS-1s, and a number of top headphones from other manufacturers. These and the HD800 are the only headphones that have stood the test of time.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #34,027 of 65,789
Listening to my HP-2i now, out of the Holo Audio Spring and an ECP-L2 amp. The HP-2i is very similar to a standard HP-2, but Joe Grado did some additional tuning to the drivers, pads and enclosures before he passed. He slightly changed the porosity of the enclosure by adding some sort of goo, put in some NOS drivers that he had further worked on, and did something unknown to the pads. Maybe soaked them in olive oil? Hard to say.

What is easy to say is that everything wonderful about the HP1000 is made more wonderful with Joe's later mods. These are the most neutral, lifelike headphones I've ever heard. I owned and sold pink driver RS1s, PS-1s, and a number of top headphones from other manufacturers. These and the HD800 are the only headphones that have stood the test of time.

LMAO!

Nice, enjoy! I'll be getting my HP2 Thursday, cant wait.
How do you like the Spring DAC?
Also, what DAC are you coming from?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #34,028 of 65,789
LMAO!

Nice, enjoy! I'll be getting my HP2 Thursday, cant wait.
How do you like the Spring DAC?
Also, what DAC are you coming from?

I very much enjoy the spring. It ticks all the boxes for me. The unique topology helps justify its existence in a crowded market, I like that it is an unabashedly Chinese product that still relies on innovation, and I like the bulletproof construction. The sound is absolutely excellent.

I'm coming from a Mytek 192, which I'd used and loved for years. Playing DSD 128 from HQPlayer, it sounded really sublime. When I bought it new it cost about what a new Holo costs now, but technology marches on.

Enjoy your new HP2 -- they are a world apart.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,029 of 65,789
@Sherwood 

Thank you.
I remember reading about the Mytek a while back, and from what I've read it is an excellent DAC which is saying a lot for the Spring…cant wait to receive mine!
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #34,031 of 65,789
  Received the HP1000 (HP2) this morning.
They're in pristine condition! I listened to them for about a 1/2hr and they sound very smooth and nicely balanced neutral sound. More impressions when I have the time to do some serious listening later tonight.

Wow!  That's like a museum piece!  Enjoy and please take care of them.  There aren't many in that condition left in the world.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #34,032 of 65,789
They're in pristine condition! I listened to them for about a 1/2hr and they sound very smooth and nicely balanced neutral sound. More impressions when I have the time to do some serious listening later tonight.

Wow!  CONGRATULATIONS! 

They are indeed balanced and neutral.  Be most interested in your comparison to other Grados, e.g., the GH1 and the PS1000, both in terms of sound and comfort.  What amp and source are you using?

I put mine on in celebration of yours... listening to The Duke Meets The Count from a Lotoo PAW Gold, in DSD.

How is the box for storage?

Great pair!

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #34,033 of 65,789

Congrats Joseph! Those are gorgeous!

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #34,034 of 65,789
Took the words right out of my mouth. Congrats on your HP1000s!

Very rare to get a museum grade pair like that. I'm lucky to own an HP2 with all the lettering intact as well.

Glad to hear it sounds great out of the Spring DAC.

I actually ordered the Kitsune Level 3 just like the @joseph69 last month for the same reasons. Being curious to hear what all the hype is all about of this unique R2R DAC. If I'm lucky I get it end of the month, early January.

Just make sure to hold them on the side and to avoid touching the letter at all costs!!

Joe Grado went back and forth on what he offered as his upgrade reference cable. Going back and forth between the Laboratory Standard and the Ultra Wide cable. Offering either or to customers as an upgrade.

Technically the Lab Standard cable is the latest version but verdict is still out whether it is the greatest of the 3 types of cables seen on the HP1000. My SR200 Blackstar which came out a couple of years after the HP1000 has the same exact Laboratory Standard Cable as my HP2.

The very first HP1000s actually had cables with no lettering and wording on it. Joe Grado being constantly dedicated to improving the HP1000 made minor tweaks along the way, the last being the very fortunate few to own his HP1000i revision like @Sherwood before he passed on.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #34,035 of 65,789

Congrats Joseph! Those are gorgeous!
Wow!  That's like a museum piece!  Enjoy and please take care of them.  There aren't many in that condition left in the world.

Wow!  CONGRATULATIONS! 
They are indeed balanced and neutral.  Be most interested in your comparison to other Grados, e.g., the GH1 and the PS1000, both in terms of sound and comfort.  What amp and source are you using?
Great pair! 

Thank you all very much!
I will indeed take excellent care of them and keep them in pristine condition!
I'll be using both the GS-X mk2/WA6 with the PWD-ll. I'll give impressions of the differences between the amps/PS1K/GH1 after getting aquatinted with the HP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back