Grado Fan Club!
Dec 3, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #33,871 of 65,789
Well I've never heard any other Grado, so I have no reason to disagree.

Despite the HF2s having no soundstage, they are more enjoyable than other technically brilliant, large soundstaging headphones.

I wonder if people are tripping about having music over 'there' or are they actually listening to how sounds interact with other sounds to create new 'chords' and sub rhythms in addition to the overall rhythm.

These HF2s are able to generate so much music in the uppermids, such a different yet altogether correct presentation, because the information must already be there for the headphone to create such a mix.

I was thinking about music last night and how instinctual it is... Animals bopping to the beat, babies enthusiastically 'dancing' to the rhythm... Just instinctively.

Then I realise, the tempo range in beats per minute matches exactly the human heart rate from state of rest to state of panic. Music doesn't exceed the human heart rate.

Therefore music was ingrained over nine months as you heard all your mother's emotions through her heart beat.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #33,872 of 65,789
Well I've never heard any other Grado, so I have no reason to disagree.

Despite the HF2s having no soundstage, they are more enjoyable than other technically brilliant, large soundstaging headphones.

I wonder if people are tripping about having music over 'there' or are they actually listening to how sounds interact with other sounds to create new 'chords' and sub rhythms in addition to the overall rhythm.

These HF2s are able to generate so much music in the uppermids, such a different yet altogether correct presentation, because the information must already be there for the headphone to create such a mix.

I was thinking about music last night and how instinctual it is... Animals bopping to the beat, babies enthusiastically 'dancing' to the rhythm... Just instinctively.

Then I realise, the tempo range in beats per minute matches exactly the human heart rate from state of rest to state of panic. Music doesn't exceed the human heart rate.

Therefore music was ingrained over nine months as you heard all your mother's emotions through her heart beat.

Certainly an interesting theory, to say the least!

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #33,873 of 65,789
I recently bought one of these usb reclocker gizmos for my DAC... Its got 2 clocks, one for 44.1 and one for 48 and their multiples. Them master clocks are important for timing reference.

The human heart is our master clock, it can vary depending on the situation, very evident in excercise. And of course timing is everything in music.

It is after all the fourth dimension.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #33,876 of 65,789
My Martin built Turbulent X driver 'phones are in the shop for re-wire, and I hope to have them back later this week. I sent them off to Jason Ambrose for a full re-wire and am getting a strain relief added in. 

The Sovtek Military Spec "audio" tubes are incredibly smooth, stable, noiseless, and designed for much harsher conditions than they can ever experience in a Little Dot MK II. Stuff designed to be dropped at height into the ocean, on a weather balloon etc. are pretty sweet in audio applications. 6J1P-EV aka 6Zh1P, EF95 are the best tubes I've found so far for my listening-spoken word, folk, medieval and the like. A friend of mine called this setup the "listening equivalent of really good sex". 

I'm going to use the LD as a pre-amplifier for my BluesboyJag electric cigar box guitar before feeding the signal into my computer for recording. That man built me an incredible 3 string diatonic"dulcitar" out of a Cao cigar box, an  oak neck and a hot, hand-wound 7.9K single coil pickup. I'll posts photos of the setup later when I get the film scanned. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #33,877 of 65,789
I am a recent convert to the Grado sound, and am loving every minute I spend with my GH1 and RS2e.  I am looking for a suitable portable headphone that will not be too disappointing, relatively speaking.  Seems that some Grado fans have experience with the Sennheiser PX100 II.  Is this a good portable alternative?  I can't get past the funky design of the iGrado's, so I am not considering them at the moment.  I have had the Koss Porta-Pro, and would probably not go that route again.

The other alternatives I have considered are SR60 and SR80.  My listening on the go would not require closed back headphones...mostly hotel rooms, etc.  I just can't bring myself to traveling with my wood beauties.  Thanks.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #33,878 of 65,789
  I am a recent convert to the Grado sound, and am loving every minute I spend with my GH1 and RS2e.  I am looking for a suitable portable headphone that will not be too disappointing, relatively speaking.  Seems that some Grado fans have experience with the Sennheiser PX100 II.  Is this a good portable alternative?  I can't get past the funky design of the iGrado's, so I am not considering them at the moment.  I have had the Koss Porta-Pro, and would probably not go that route again.

The other alternatives I have considered are SR60 and SR80.  My listening on the go would not require closed back headphones...mostly hotel rooms, etc.  I just can't bring myself to traveling with my wood beauties.  Thanks.

PX-100ii does not really sound like a Grado, more like a HD-650 type of sound to me.  I would get a SR60 and do some mods, would be closer to your GH1 and RS2e in sound signature

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #33,879 of 65,789
  PX-100ii does not really sound like a Grado, more like a HD-650 type of sound to me.  I would get a SR60 and do some mods, would be closer to your GH1 and RS2e in sound signature

Many thanks.  I will likely take your advice.  Frankly, I was attracted to the small size and portability of the PX-100.  I have very limited experience with Sennheiser products, having only owned two.  One being the Momentum On ear which I did not care for, at all.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #33,880 of 65,789

I think that the fans of Grado in this thread should do their part by starting to wear their smaller lighter Grados out on their walks and to the gym, to establish a trend, to change the funky to cool! I certainly do that, in support of this cause, and 'cause nothing sounds like a Grado except another Grado...especially since you don't need closed headphones.

Ok, enough. Off to walk my dogs while wearing my Grado SR125 headphones!

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #33,881 of 65,789
I think that the fans of Grado in this thread should do their part by starting to wear their smaller lighter Grados out on their walks and to the gym, to establish a trend, to change the funky to cool! I certainly do that, in support of this cause, and 'cause nothing sounds like a Grado except another Grado...especially since you don't need closed headphones.

Ok, enough. Off to walk my dogs while wearing my Grado SR125 headphones!

I still use my PS1000 while biking :p

I must admit that when it gets too wet, or when I need more isolation, I'll use my FI-BA-SS IEMS.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #33,882 of 65,789
Grados are not really designed for outdoor wear. They could be re-designed for such, but they'd need to build in strain reliefs, jacket the cables, shorten the cable a bit, and find some way to keep water out of the transducers without losing the "open" quality that make Grados sound better than closed headphones. 

For the life of me, I don't understand why the major manufacturers do not jacket their cables and put on strain reliefs. It would extend the life of the headphones, and end the need for repair/replacement. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #33,883 of 65,789
  Grados are not really designed for outdoor wear. They could be re-designed for such, but they'd need to build in strain reliefs, jacket the cables, shorten the cable a bit, and find some way to keep water out of the transducers without losing the "open" quality that make Grados sound better than closed headphones. 

For the life of me, I don't understand why the major manufacturers do not jacket their cables and put on strain reliefs. It would extend the life of the headphones, and end the need for repair/replacement. 

There is most definitely a strain relief on the cable…it's called a tie-wrap inside the cups. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #33,884 of 65,789
I have the PX 100 ii, but just FYI, they are open, and as @DavidA noted, they don't really sound like Grado 'phones.

I do have the eGrado portable plastic headphones, but I'm not crazy about the fit, and I had to return them once for some rattle on the right driver, and they are, too, like all Grado headphones, open.

Some people -- but I cannot vouch for this personally, mind you -- have noted over in the thread for the HiFiMan Edition S, that it does have a sound similar to the Grado house sound -- but again, I have no personal experience with it.

The white ones are on selling currently at Amazon right now for $149.00, which is a great price since the black are normally $249.00.

Note that these can be used either open or closed.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back