Grado Fan Club!
Oct 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #33,676 of 65,622

Whew! That is some Heavy Competition that your new Grados beat out! Welcome to GradoLand.

The GradoLand is becoming more and more exciting :)

I really enjoy my new headphones. First, they really let me experience true emotions in music. Their sound is complete, as if everything was in the right place. Wow, that's truly amazing. I love their energy and lively presentation. When I was doing head to head tests they were absolutely best in all genres I tried (from digital hard core to baroque). Of these four (SR225e, HIFIMAN HE-400I, Sennheiser HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT 880) - HD and HE were least impressive, dull and without life. I really liked build quality of HE, thought. DT were second after SR in some genres (jazz, ambient, baroque), but failed completely in more energetic music (hard core, punk). It was really surprising to me, since I went for these tests with no plan of buying Grados, but after just few seconds it was obvious to me that there is no other way :)

And they are soooo comfortable :)

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #33,677 of 65,622
I am cracking up hard at the picture of the grado costume and of the closed back invention.

I don't see the apron, but there is plenty of other Grado gear here.

https://shop.spreadshirt.com/gradolabs/

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #33,678 of 65,622
I don't see the apron, but there is plenty of other Grado gear here.

https://shop.spreadshirt.com/gradolabs/

Does this store have an official relationship with Grado? Thanks for showing me, I really like the design of some of these. Sort of pricey but I ended up buying a sweatshirt and t-shirt. Both cool designs to show off my love for grado.

Also as a side note.. I keep hearing people praising the 225e. I always gotta agree whenever I read that. To me its definitely the sweet spot of their products. Amazing little headphones.

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #33,679 of 65,622
Oct 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #33,680 of 65,622
Does this store have an official relationship with Grado? Thanks for showing me, I really like the design of some of these. Sort of pricey but I ended up buying a sweatshirt and t-shirt. Both cool designs to show off my love for grado.

Also as a side note.. I keep hearing people praising the 225e. I always gotta agree whenever I read that. To me its definitely the sweet spot of their products. Amazing little headphones.

Don't know if there is an official relationship with Grado, or if Grado has consented to them using the Grado mark.  Still, got to be good for Grado, right?  Free advertising.

For now, I am happy with my RS2e, GH1 and 125.  But...I am going to listen to the 225e and 325e this week at a local shop.  I am curious to see if the hype for the top end of the SR series is real.  I had a listen to the 325e when I bought my RS2e.  I need to give them another listen along with the 225e.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #33,681 of 65,622
Don't know if there is an official relationship with Grado, or if Grado has consented to them using the Grado mark.  Still, got to be good for Grado, right?  Free advertising.

For now, I am happy with my RS2e, GH1 and 125.  But...I am going to listen to the 225e and 325e this week at a local shop.  I am curious to see if the hype for the top end of the SR series is real.  I had a listen to the 325e when I bought my RS2e.  I need to give them another listen along with the 225e.

This seem like an odd comment. The 325e is the worst Grado IMO. Not that it is bad but really what you have is better. What are you looking to improve on from the GH1 and RS2e?

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #33,682 of 65,622
This seem like an odd comment. The 325e is the worst Grado IMO. Not that it is bad but really what you have is better. What are you looking to improve on from the GH1 and RS2e?

Really, it is just curiosity...I am fortunate to live near a shop that carries the full Grado line.  I am really not looking for or expecting improvement.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #33,683 of 65,622

Here is how I rank the Grado headphones that I've compared. SR 325e ends up in the middle for me. More details are in the thread pointed to in my signature.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #33,684 of 65,622
Really, it is just curiosity...I am fortunate to live near a shop that carries the full Grado line.  I am really not looking for or expecting improvement.

Ruthieandjohn's post above seems pretty accurate to me.

I have the GH1 and PS500e. I feel that the PS500e does all the things the GH1 does but with a little more refinement. The Upper midrange is smoother and female vocals sound more natural to me on the PS500e because of it. I also feel that the bass is just a hair tighter with less mid bass bloom. It would be the upgrade path for me if I loved the GH-1 but wanted more refinement.

On the other hand if your accustom to the GH1 and RS2e you might feel like the PS500e is missing something at first listen in the midrange. I hate when people call a headphone more accurate (we all know they are not) but.... I give the nod to the PS500e.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #33,685 of 65,622

Respectfully and strongly disagree...with qualification. The SR325e for me is a very blissful
Grado, and for me a big improvement over the SR325i .... which I gave away to an appreciative family member.

The 325e is a lot smoother, somewhat more refined/ less grainy than the 325i...
with better bass weight. It hints at the improvements to come with the RS,GS and PS models...
while for me giving world-class musicality for the price...and is sturdy and low enough in cost for me to travel with.

I listen at lower than average volumes and really feel that Grado's may sound best at lower volumes...
e.g. the sound has a bit of an enhancing "bite" which is just enough... like lightly yet appropriately
seasoning a meal....however at higher (or even average or "normal" volumes)
the seasoning may become overly harsh. This slight "bite" gives added clarity and detail
for me and can be very pleasing at the lowish volumes I tend to listen at.

To me, the RS325e's are so satisfying on pop, classic rock, progressive classical and post-bop jazz - listening right now to MAD 6 by Ravi Coltrane and group through iPod Touch/Mojo... even at the all red ball volume setting .... bliss.

If you listen at lowish volumes... IMHO the SR325e's - sufficiently burned in - need to be listened to through an excellent source like Mojo before reaching any conclusions. Both 325e and Mojo are good enough that I can fully enjoy the music without feeling the need to upgrade either and sound great together (also loving higher-end GS1000i at home;
325e for out-of-home).

Of course...al of this can totally change at average or higher volumes levels.

BTW... check out Mad 6 if you're into jazz... took me a few listens but now I'm hopelessly hooked.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #33,686 of 65,622
How people rank the SR series (both e and I variants) are usually very different from person to person. I listened for a few hours at a local shop that had the whole SR "e" lineup and side by side I was able to get a strong opinion of my personal rankings.

From best to worst-
1. SR225e
2. SR325e
3. SR80e/SR60e/SR125e

Number three was a toss up depending on my mood and music.

Ultimately I left the store with the Rs2e. I felt that the non flush RS1e wouldve ranked 3 (maybe 4) on the list above.

My sound signature preferences with Grado is transparency, sparkly treble, openess and accuracy. My opinions value those attributes most in regards to Grado headphones.

Recently heard PS1000 which blew my ears off in a good way. Didnt like the Gs1000e and havent heard Ps500e, Ps1000e or Gs2000e.. But I expect all 3 to be really good. So far from what ive heard (barely heard any of I series and older..)

PS1000 > Rs2e > SR225e > the rest

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #33,687 of 65,622
How people rank the SR series (both e and I variants) are usually very different from person to person.
Well I think this extends to the whole Grado product lines. For me RS1i is THE Grado headphones, but I can see how other prefers the ps1k or rs2e

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #33,688 of 65,622
I am surprised that @ruthieandjohn has the GS1000i in the top spot. I heard them at London Canjam 2015 out of a Chord TT and found them to be very much lacking in bass - however... I suspect that they were completely new and very much not burned-in. Also, it wasn't a great environment for serious listening.
I am enjoying owning several Grados, which, because of recent illness, are all upstairs at the moment. As you can see from the photographs, I have a reasonable collection of headphones. Headphone stands? Not so much.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #33,689 of 65,622
Ruthieandjohn's post above seems pretty accurate to me.

I have the GH1 and PS500e. I feel that the PS500e does all the things the GH1 does but with a little more refinement. The Upper midrange is smoother and female vocals sound more natural to me on the PS500e because of it. I also feel that the bass is just a hair tighter with less mid bass bloom. It would be the upgrade path for me if I loved the GH-1 but wanted more refinement.

On the other hand if your accustom to the GH1 and RS2e you might feel like the PS500e is missing something at first listen in the midrange. I hate when people call a headphone more accurate (we all know they are not) but.... I give the nod to the PS500e.

I agree with your comment regarding the value of @ruthieandjohn's information, and I have expressed my appreciation for making it available to the community.  I used this information as a starting point prior to purchasing the RS2e and GH1.  It is, however, and with all due respect to @ruthieandjohn, only one person's opinion.  As you can see from some of the posts that followed yours, there are opinions on the upper end SR line that are different than yours.  I am fortunate that I can listen to the Grado's and formulate my own opinion before I make a buying decision.

I listened to the PS500e at the time I purchased my RS2e, and would agree that is an excellent sounding headphone.  I appreciate your comparison to the GH1.  I am keeping it on my short list.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #33,690 of 65,622

I agree with your comment regarding the value of @ruthieandjohn's information, and I have expressed my appreciation for making it available to the community.... (shortened)

This is so right! @ruthieandjohn is a sort of paradigm in doing an immense amount of dedicated listening and publishing the results in an organized way - our mileage may very, but he and others like him make this and the model-specific Grado threads a wonderful resource for Gradoheads everywhere. Bravo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back