Grado Fan Club!
Aug 8, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #33,121 of 65,627

how big the difference between 225e and RS2e?(also is RS2e lighter and more comfortable)

im currently enjoying 225e, i also tried 325e and it was bit heavy but sounded great specially in the bass however it was little bit bright too(depends on source i guess).

I only did probably an hour demo of comparisons and now don't have the 225e nearby. Thinking back, the 325e and rs2e are both noticeably different in weight, while the RS2e and 225e are about the same - both very light and comfortable. The only real sound differences would be RS2e sounds slightly more open and transparent. I can't give too much impressions with confidence, but I just remember I really enjoyed the 225e.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #33,122 of 65,627
Indeed the subbass (less than 100 Hz, which is what I compared) is greater on the RS2 than on the RS2e, perhaps because the button on the RS2 grill center renders a bit of a closed nature to the RS2.  

However, in terms of overall performance, RS2e > RS2i > RS2, due to performance in transparency, soundstage, and treble detail.

Interestingly, this is the OPPOSITE of the RS1 series, where I find RS1 > RS1i  > RS1e!

Hope this helps.

Do you use the g cushion with the rs2e?

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #33,123 of 65,627
Aug 9, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #33,124 of 65,627
Quick question are all Grado's made equal?

ie has anyone been to a HP meet and compared their model to someone elses identical model and found they sound the same?

Curious :)

In my opinion, the answer is no, they don't all sound the same, and not only that, some models don't even look the same! :blink:

After all, it is Grado we're talking about here.:D

Thx stacker for replying. :)
Was just curious if the differences are subtle or audible. My concern is that I don't hear what kayandjohns comparison review of the rs1i's suggests.

The physical are definitely visible hehe

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #33,125 of 65,627
I was just browsing through the webs and found some pretty decent deals on some grado headphones. They are sold through newegg.com but the actually seller or company is called ClassyU. Reviews seem to be mixed on their customer service and products so beware and buy at your own risk. One of the reviews state their products were faulty but that was back in 2015 before this sale. 

The Grado SR-60e is only $59.99 which is pretty decent and may be worth taking the risk for. Here is the original link through slickdeals.net.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8997399-grado-audiophile-headphones-starts-at-59-99

Also, If this is somehow an inappropriate post I apologize in advance, just wanted to post in case anyone is interested.

*edit* Additional info found going through the comments:

"Right before I was about to pull the trigger on a set to upgrade my current Grado Rs1, I noticed that the newegg seller is "Classyu", so I called and messaged Grado to see if they are an authorized reseller and they said no. Grado told me they wouldn't guarantee them nor service any headphones sold via anyone not on their list of authorized resellers. I personally wouldn't want to take the risk of getting a pair of headphones (especially with their price tag) and find out later that Grado cannot service them. I also personally wouldn't risk potentially getting some knock-offs. Sharing this in case that's important to any of you. I'm only trying to look out for everyone here. If you disagree pls don't come down on me with hate as I'm simply looking out for fellow deal seekers.
Have a great week!"

Another comment:
"For what it's worth, if you click on the ClassyU seller ratings, it says the following:
"Established in 2014 as a subsidiary of a large international wholesale company, Classy U cuts out the middleman to bring its customers the best in quality together with the top brand names in the business at prices that are hard to beat, add to that concierge like customers service, a 45 day return policy and no restocking fees (If returned in resalable condition) for the ultimate treat."
There is also a phone # 269-767-8662, which thru reverse-lookup, is registered for the South Haven, MI 49090 area, a VoIP number provided by Google Voice.
I'm wondering if Grado is steering toward their preferred vendor when asked about service/guarantee. On Grado Labs website for "Where to buy", they list Adorama, B&H Photo, Crutchfield, etc. It seems hard to believe that Crutchfield wouldn't be an authorized seller of any of the products they sell.
I'm on the fence for an upgrade to my SR80i's, which I've enjoyed."

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #33,126 of 65,627
Thx stacker for replying.
smily_headphones1.gif

Was just curious if the differences are subtle or audible. My concern is that I don't hear what kayandjohns comparison review of the rs1i's suggests.

The physical are definitely visible hehe

Grados are known to have subtle, but audible sample to sample sound differences, but it can also be attributed to minor desing modifications.

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #33,127 of 65,627
I just had the delightful privilege of purchasing a pair of Grado RS1e headphones from that Mecca of headphone sales, HeadRoom, in Bozeman, MT. My newly-wed wife Ruthie, of ruthieandjohn fame, and I made a pilgrimage to HeadRoom on our honeymoon trip from Seattle to Ann Arbor and spent the night in Bozeman, MT, home to both HeadRoom and Tyll Hertsens.

HeadRoom is the only store that I have encountered that relies upon sale of headphones and associated paraphernalia, rather than more general audio, for its business. I saw the broadest inventory in their showroom at 12 E. Main St that I have ever seen, spanning Grado, Sennheiser, Audeze, and others.

HeadRoom had a rarity for me... the newest version of the Grado RS1e with its drivers nearly flush to the wood and the headband cover in brown rather than black. Every other audio store I have visited only had the black headband version with protruding drivers, which was found by many listeners to be a step down from the RS1i that preceded it. I could never be sure of getting the most recent version without actually seeing them, so on line purchases were risky as well.

I was assisted by Mike and Jamey, and we had delightful discussions about headphones and HeadRoom. Here is the purchase, captured by wife and fellow headphone aficianado Ruthie:

Store listening to the headphone sounded great, with excellent treble detail and soundstage, and only a touch of the bass "tubbiness" that I noted on the GS1000e. For that headphone, and I suspect for this, bass will improve with burn in, as they share the same 50 mm driver.

This headphone, after appropriate burn in, will get compared to my other 26 Grados, as noted here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808325/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-grado-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio#post_12583926

At first listen, without benefit of either burn in or comparison to other Grados, these RS1es indeed seem to be as Fortune magazine named them in a review, " The only headphones you will ever need."

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #33,128 of 65,627

looking forward to your impressions, John....I would so love it if the issues with the earlier RS1e's have
been fixed!

...I love the brand/products and don't like that gray RS1e cloud hanging over Grado.

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #33,130 of 65,627
Thanks John and Ruthie for your visit and support. It was a treat to meet such Grado fans! Hope we get to see you again soon, somewhere down the road. CanJam maybe?

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #33,134 of 65,627
I just had the delightful privilege of purchasing a pair of Grado RS1e headphones from that Mecca of headphone sales, HeadRoom, in Bozeman, MT. My newly-wed wife Ruthie, of ruthieandjohn fame, and I made a pilgrimage to HeadRoom on our honeymoon trip from Seattle to Ann Arbor and spent the night in Bozeman, MT, home to both HeadRoom and Tyll Hertsens.

Wow! I'm looking forward to your review, John! If John deems the (new) RS1e worthy of the RS1 line, there's no reason to skip on it anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back