Grado Fan Club!
Jul 13, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #32,777 of 66,264
  I was just looking at the settings as well, and I found that when I select the zone for "PWD" from the L-hand tree which is used for AoE I can't go into the audio menus…but when when I select the zone for "player" from the tree I can go into the audio settings and change everything. Now, under "player" dithering is off and it is also set to 24 bit PCM. Now I'm not sure about the settings in the zone for "PWD" being I can't get into the audio menu…I went into the media network, and still, no setting for the audio. I'm also not listening right now, so I'm not sure if I can even use the "player" zone with AoE? I'm in client options>audio conversion and the encoder is set for "MP3 high bandwidth…I'm going to toggle between this and PCM 24 bit when I get the chance to listen, thank you, I'll keep you posted.

I would get in touch with the folks at J River and see what they recommend for your DAC in AoE mode. They could be open enough to talk about what their software is doing to pass the signal through. It was easy to reach the guy that wrote HQplayer being that he actually has an iFi iDSD and knows what settings spec out the best.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #32,778 of 66,264
  I would get in touch with the folks at J River and see what they recommend for your DAC in AoE mode. They could be open enough to talk about what their software is doing to pass the signal through. It was easy to reach the guy that wrote HQplayer being that he actually has an iFi iDSD and knows what settings spec out the best.

Their seems to be one person at JRiver who couldn't help me with anything…they directed me to the forums??? What I did was linked my "player" zone to the "PWD" zone and now I have total control of the audio settings. I had a few drop outs and rebooted the PWD and it is playing fine for now, but I'll keep you posted. I'm still going to contact PS-Audio tomorrow and ask why I can't get into the audio setting through the "PWD" zone itself. I appreciate your help/research very much, thank you again.
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #32,779 of 66,264
Just pulled the trigger on som 325e today.

Excellent choice.  Easily in the top 3 Grado headphones IMHO.  I listen to mine w/ G-cushions which I find to be better than the stock cushions but again that's a matter of personal taste.  Here's an excellent review of the SR325e (if you haven't read it yet & if you're interested) : http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325e/review

Again, congratulations.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #32,780 of 66,264
  Their seems to be one person at JRiver who couldn't help me with anything…they directed me to the forums??? What I did was linked my "player" zone to the "PWD" zone and now I have total control of the audio settings. I had a few drop outs and rebooted the PWD and it is playing fine for now, but I'll keep you posted. I'm still going to contact PS-Audio tomorrow and ask why I can't get into the audio setting through the "PWD" zone itself. I appreciate your help/research very much, thank you again.
beerchug.gif

Hey no sweat, just happy to assist. It's still a learning curve for me. Bummer on the service from J River. I hope PS Audio gets back to you with some good insight.
beerchug.gif

Sorry for temporarily derailing this thread into something far off topic. I noticed there were quite a few Grado heads that also used J River.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #32,781 of 66,264
I wanted to follow up on my posts about the RS1e with flush drivers and brown headband.

So ive done some mild burning in with this headphone and its helped greatly. The treble is still recessed compared to other grados, but i feel like the sound is becoming a lot more cohesive.

Pros:
- depth! This headphone goes deep and the soundstage is pretty big. Its not in the style of the GS1000i though. I feel like theres a large vertical structure to the music.
- great separation. Picking apart music and figuring out where certain instruments are coming from is easy.
-vocals and toms sound great. Cymbal articulation has improved but its not a speciality here.
- i was pleased that despite thinking the headphone was veiled, i was still able to distinguish the shaker from the hi-hat during Tears for Fears' Badman's Song. They play the same part and the hihat is very quiet so if this is easy, then the headphone is doing something right :blush:
- the electric guitar on Roll the Bones had a surprising amount of bite and snarl to it!

Cons:
- not transparent. I always know im listening through headphones because the sound signature is a bit out there.
- funny spike in either the lower treble or upper mids. You can see this on inner fidelity. It does make some things particularly shouty sometimes, but not necessarily bright. Its very recording dependent whether or not this affects enjoyment.
- not as good with acoustic guitar and cymbal articulation as RS2e. But then again, what is? :blush:

This headphone if anything is a learning experience. Its getting pretty darned awesome, its great to hear such DEEP sound coming from a grado, especially not one known for bass. Its not bass heavy, but it just does deep resonating sounds very well. I'll likely keep doing some mild burning in when i can.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #32,783 of 66,264
...and I forget. Did you first have an older pair of RS1e, with protruding drivers? If so, how would you compare the sound of your Ras1e (protruding) to your newer RS1e (non protruding)? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #32,785 of 66,264
Hello!  Alrighty, so I decided to purchase these specific headphones for a number of reasons. First, I mainly listen to 60's rock (Beatles, Dylan, Creedence, Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground, Zeppelin, Stones, Pink Floyd) and these suit that music perfectly. The reason is because it is a dynamic type of headphone and no other headphone no matter how sophisticated and high tech can give you the slam, energy, impact, and just raw power of a dynamic headphone. Second Grado is already known for being the best headphones for rock music no matter the headphone. Third Grado has models ranging from about $80 to $1700 but I find these to be the best for rock music, the reasoning is because the plastic models just sound dull, the wooden ones sound too smooth and soft (you want some aggressiveness when you listen to rock) and because of the L-cush pads they bring in a more intimate soundstage as if you are right in front of the band rather than the G-cush which makes it like you are a couple of rows from the stage. I personally love that big bold aggressive sound that is in your face because you just want to crank it up and jam. Ok so now some recommendations, I paired these headphones with the Schiit Magni 2 amp and Modi 2 DAC (which by the way is great because the whole setup is made in USA and the silver tone colors of all three components just make it look so sleek and industrial grade, which by the way they are all built like tanks) and again the reasoning for this is because I find solid state to give more impact, energy, slam and aggressiveness that tubes just cant do as well. This setup is natural and less digital sounding, it is smooth but never soft, and never fatiguing.I highly recommend to break in this setup at a little higher than normal volume overnight for 10 hours a day until you get to 100 hours with the Schiit stack too because it makes the sound way smoother, it is real, absolutely for Grados, maybe not for other headphones but for these, 100% certain. The trebles extends higher but gets smooth, the bass extends deeper and gets tighter and smoother, the midrange gets more vivid and the soundstage opens up more. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #32,786 of 66,264
  Just saw this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-X-Dolce-and-Gabbana-DS2012-Over-Ear-Headphones-1250-tax-RARE-GS1000i-/112056061408?hash=item1a170fcde0:g:pqoAAOSwyKxXhyH2

Another D&G GS-1000i, or is this the same one that some one on this thread just got and is selling again?

No, not the same HP's.

Hello!  Alrighty, so I decided to purchase these specific headphones 

Which HP's??? 
You never mention what model HP's you decided to purchase and pair with the Schiit.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #32,787 of 66,264
  No, not the same HP's.

Which HP's??? 
You never mention what model HP's you decided to purchase and pair with the Schiit.

wonder why people are selling them now?  haven't seen them around for a few years and now two in the same month for sale.

I think he/she was too excited with the sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #32,788 of 66,264
  wonder why people are selling them now?  haven't seen them around for a few years and now two in the same month for sale.
I think he/she was too excited with the sound
biggrin.gif

Probably just waiting for them to bring in more value?

After reading this thread, I read the 325i thread, and the poster originally posted this post in the 3251 thread then copied and pasted in this and another thread as well…so he purchased the 325i.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #32,789 of 66,264
  Probably just waiting for them to bring in more value?

After reading this thread, I read the 325i thread, and the poster originally posted this post in the 3251 thread then copied and pasted in this and another thread as well…so he purchased the 325i.

You are a dedicated person to do all the searching
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #32,790 of 66,264
So how would you compare this one to the RS1i and the RS2e? Which one would you prefer more?

I would say the rs2e is definitely the brighter of the 2 and has a sound signature that is a bit better put together. The rs1e has the upper hand with soundstage and depth and a SLIGHT upper hand in imaging but thats really a close call. The rs2e is better at texture and transparency. So id say the rs2e is better, but the rs1e, though a little odd, is still pretty darn cool. Ive never owned an rs1i unfortunately.

...and I forget. Did you first have an older pair of RS1e, with protruding drivers? If so, how would you compare the sound of your Ras1e (protruding) to your newer RS1e (non protruding)? Thanks!

Never heard the model with protruding drivers, sorry. Kinda wish i could but without paying for it :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back