Grado Fan Club!
Apr 23, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #31,681 of 65,643
  Since January I was looking for a buttoned RS1. They're pretty scattershot in terms how often they pop up and how much is wanted for them. Here on head-fi they've been going for about $425 with or without the box. If it has the box it sells in the first day. Ebay is a whole different animal. There was a claimed NOS Buttoned RS1 from about '06 went for $900! I saw an auction complete with box and paperwork go to $550. I decided then that was my benchmark for a complete package. I lucked out one day on ebay and got for about the same price and in the first hour it was listed.

Regarding a buttoned RS2, those are more of a needle in a haystack. I saw one here on head-fi complete with the box go for $200, it was later flipped here for $275. Canuck Audio Mart had one with the box close to $300, I remember @ruthieandjohn really wanted to hear one so I forwarded the listing to him. The only ebay action is the one up right now going for $325 without the box.

It's a tough market out there for vintage headphones.

Yep, i bought that RS2, thanks to @krud484

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #31,683 of 65,643

Yep, i bought that RS2, thanks to @krud484

John, i thought you already owned the (buttoned) RS2?
Anyway, congratulations.

John owns everything
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #31,684 of 65,643
John owns everything :p

I only got the RS2 with buttons a few weeks ago. I had been LOOKING for a long time.

The two Grados I have yet to get are the RS1e with brown headband and no protruding drivers, and the GS1000i if my GS1000e does not improve enough through burn-in. To me the GS1000i is better than the GH1, so I keep comparing my GS1000e to my GH1 to see if it has surpassed it yet.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #31,685 of 65,643
I only got the RS2 with buttons a few weeks ago. I had been LOOKING for a long time.

The two Grados I have yet to get are the RS1e with brown headband and no protruding drivers, and the GS1000i if my GS1000e does not improve enough through burn-in. To me the GS1000i is better than the GH1, so I keep comparing my GS1000e to my GH1 to see if it has surpassed it yet.

I must have misread your post thinking you won the bid for $212.50 for the RS2 that just sold on eBay.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #31,686 of 65,643
I just gave away my fairly new (February 2016) Grado SR80e, my first pair of "real" Grados...  

...so that leaves me with only eGrado... I guess I will have to buy SR125e now. :D

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #31,687 of 65,643
  I must have misread your post thinking you won the bid for $212.50 for the RS2 that just sold on eBay.

My buttoned RS2 was for $400 Canadian, or about $300 US, on March 24 from CanuckAudioMart.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #31,689 of 65,643
  well mr stacker, as whirlwind pointed out, i am shopping for a receiver or integrated amp as we speak. 
and there is a marantz 2015 on the bay right now, 
i need something less then 18", or 457mm (including any wooden case) to you guys that use the metric system. 
i've found a couple of others that fit the bill.

For those who don't know, the two numbers on low, and mid-power vintage Marantz reciever tell you how many watts per channel it has, so the 2015 has 15 W.P.C. They're often consrvatively rated though, my 2220B blew right past it' 20 w.p.c. and measured a healthy 36 w.p.c.
eek.gif

To me, these low power Marantz recievers are major no brainers. They're affordable, ($75 to $150 mint),  they sound great, they look good, and you basically get a phono preamp, a speaker amp, an headphone amp, and a tuner. 

I think that their coolest advantage, by far, is the fact that they're pretty much free, meaning that, if you don't over pay for your reciever, you can keep it for many years, and get your money back, or more, if, or when you decide to sell it, talk about win win. Of course, the same is true for other vintage Marantz gear.

Of course, this is also true for other vintage brands too, but some Marantz, like the 6300 Turntable often sell for crazy money.

I'm not a Marantz expert Jay, but I do have 3 recievers and 3 turntables so if you think I could be of some help to you, don't hesitate to ask.
beerchug.gif

Keep us posted.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #31,690 of 65,643
thanks @stacker45 , i knew you are a marantz guy, and a roommate i had for quite a while had a marantz, so there is a sentimental attachment there
when i was a kid, a friend got a technics , and i lusted after his, never got one, and i've read they are pretty good, and often overlooked 
then of course there's sansui, pioneer(only a couple of models are under my size limitations)
and the one i really hadn't considered until i started researching, is sherwood. i missed out on a pristine s-7200, right around $150
oh, and a yamaha or two, so you see, i'm looking at quite a few !

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #31,691 of 65,643
sunday sunday !

too bad the audio isn't better, but still killer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back