Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #31,471 of 66,280
Grado claim that up to 3 of their 15' extension cables can be used in series with no signal degradation. I have no idea if this has been independently tested/measured.

I know that my RS1i came with a 15' extension and the female 1/4" to male 1/8" adapter. This was in March 2011.

I've only used my 15' extension maybe twice. I've also read that sound starts to degrade after 15'…this is not from my experience.
I'm still not sure if my RS1i came with the extension cable or not..I thought I might have had it, but when I went looking for it in the box I noticed there wasn't a slot for it and I can't remember if it was coiled with the HP cable. 
confused_face.gif
 Mine are from 2012.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #31,472 of 66,280
  NOT True!
For more than 60 years , the Grado family has been crafting CARTRIDGES by hand , They first crafted headphones at 1989 the famous HP1000 and thats 27 years nomore! As long for adverstising also not true but thats another story....

One more thing to say, i would prefer in all these "advertising" video to hear something about the products, if there are improvements or whatever instead of listening the story of the family fruit-store and that jonathan wanted to be like his dad. It sounds like a farrytale and actually who cares!

Don't kill the messenger. 
I love my Grados and speaking about sound quality I don't think there's room for improvement. Comfort wise, they could do better. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #31,473 of 66,280
DAC for Grado amp?

Anyone have a favorite small-footprint DAC only that will fit on top of my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp (7" front to back, 5-3/4" left to right) that includes USB input? Needs to be better quality than my Sony VAIO desktop all-on-one PC, but not great.

I am now driving my amp from the headphone output of my desktop... looking for an improvement.

Right now the Schiit Modi 2, $99 with USB only input, at 3.5" front to back x 5" wide, seems a great candidate. Any others?

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #31,474 of 66,280
Apr 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #31,475 of 66,280
  I've only used my 15' extension maybe twice. I've also read that sound starts to degrade after 15'…this is not from my experience.
I'm still not sure if my RS1i came with the extension cable or not..I thought I might have had it, but when I went looking for it in the box I noticed there wasn't a slot for it and I can't remember if it was coiled with the HP cable. 
confused_face.gif
 Mine are from 2012.

I've read about an idea that the 15' extension cord can be use to make the Grado phones less bright to some users. I briefly tested this. To some extent, this worked---treble brightness decreased and the entire sound signature got warmer and thicker. I need more time to figure out whether this impression last. 

The theory behind this seems to the increase in impedance changes the sound signature.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #31,476 of 66,280
Honestly, in the price range below $500, I'd buy an ODAC and stop thinking hard. Can't expect the sound to improve from it unless you're willing to pay much much more.

OK, now I am furiously searching to figure out what an ODAC is. Since I purchased a second PS1000 (an -e from joseph69), I can afford to put one of the PS1000s at my desktop PC with my Grado HPA-1 amp, so I'm looking for a better DAC.

I am convinced, wrongly or rightly, that the amp to drive my PS1000s is the Joseph Grado HPA-1, so I am looking for a DAC with direct (line out, not amp-ed) input to the HPA-1 amp.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #31,477 of 66,280
How can you remove the wire mesh from a pair of sr225? I want to use the same mesh on the wood cups, it appears as though the metal mesh is slipped in between two rings of plastic, I was hoping you could use a hair dryer to loosen up the mesh to remove.

Thanks,
James

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #31,478 of 66,280
I'm still not sure if my RS1i came with the extension cable or not..I thought I might have had it, but when I went looking for it in the box I noticed there wasn't a slot for it and I can't remember if it was coiled with the HP cable. :confused_face:  Mine are from 2012.

There was no specific cut-out for the cable, it was just stuffed into the round hole where the headphone cable was coiled.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #31,479 of 66,280
DAC for Grado amp?

Anyone have a favorite small-footprint DAC only that will fit on top of my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp (7" front to back, 5-3/4" left to right) that includes USB input? Needs to be better quality than my Sony VAIO desktop all-on-one PC, but not great.

I am now driving my amp from the headphone output of my desktop... looking for an improvement.

Right now the Schiit Modi 2, $99 with USB only input, at 3.5" front to back x 5" wide, seems a great candidate. Any others?

Thanks!

Edited my post.  Hadn't read your DAC post/request properly (size of DAC you're looking for).  My bad & my apologies.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #31,480 of 66,280
  Last May, I compared the three commonly-used amps for Grado headphones, which are the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Grado RA1, and the JDS C-MOY 2.03 BB, in this post here.

Below is the three- way, 10 feature comparison, using the Grado RS2i as the headphone for all cases:

Hope this helps.

i believe the JDS cmoy isn't the closest one to Grado RA1, the jds cmoy uses another op-amp while the Grado amp uses JRC4556 op-amp, also not to mention there might be high current mod in Grado amp( from what i read, more current good for Grado HP) and not available in JDS one.

other factors like batteries can affect sound a bit too(9v vs 18v).

i have just ordered from this trusted cmoy builder with the closest specification to Grado RA1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biosciencegeek-Headphone-Amplifier-cMOY-Premium-Amp-NEW-UPDATES-/141948022866?hash=item210cc2f052:m:mdDeAHdgq4tCO-qa1-hlEpw

The seller ad is not always available, so i recommend buying when having the chance.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #31,481 of 66,280
DAC for Grado amp?

Thanks!

a second hand Geek out might do the trick. Although it probably wouldn't go up on your amp. It one of those small usb thumbdrive-ish thingamajigers. They usually come with a small adapter so it can be hanging off your laptop, then you can plug in a single ended to rca cable to your amp.

You can find them used for $100 or less. I thought it did very well paired with my RA-1 and rs1 combo.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #31,482 of 66,280
OK, now I am furiously searching to figure out what an ODAC is. Since I purchased a second PS1000 (an -e from joseph69), I can afford to put one of the PS1000s at my desktop PC with my Grado HPA-1 amp, so I'm looking for a better DAC.

I am convinced, wrongly or rightly, that the amp to drive my PS1000s is the Joseph Grado HPA-1, so I am looking for a DAC with direct (line out, not amp-ed) input to the HPA-1 amp.

Thanks!

When i paired my GS1000 with my HPA2 liked the sound but there was an annoying hiss,since then i only use it with my HP2 and my SR60(!!)..both with flat pads!
Have a look at this DAC,, Its a PCM2706+CS4344, Very Cheap, simple and nice look and sound (at least better than direct phones out port!

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #31,483 of 66,280
  I've read about an idea that the 15' extension cord can be use to make the Grado phones less bright to some users. I briefly tested this. To some extent, this worked---treble brightness decreased and the entire sound signature got warmer and thicker. I need more time to figure out whether this impression last. 

The theory behind this seems to the increase in impedance changes the sound signature.

Longer cable have more impedance and also more capacitance due to parallel wires. If high frequencies are effected is caused of the higher capacitance of the cable! 

Side note: Some where telling that the "i" series where  a kind more controlled at high frequencies.
That was caused because the "i" phones used 8-conductor cable instead of 4, by doing this they lower the impedance to half and increase the capacitance of the cable!
Another "trick" is that if you accidently "stretch" the cable and break an internal conductor, your phones will still work since you still have "backup" set of conductors for each driver! 
Many people (including myself) had problem with the 4 conductor cable :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #31,485 of 66,280
  Thats great then, because $400.00 is a lot! Is it a clone or Grado?

it was modified to take 2 9v wallwarts. i unmodified it, but there is still a hole in the back. it's the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back