Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #31,456 of 65,639

depends where you buy from, i got my RA-1 for wayy less than they cost new, and less than a CMOY.

having said this, i think i can say without the guilt of having paid a crapload of money for something, that the RA-1 sounds very nice with the RS-1 (and RS-2)

Sound nice with all the grado to me, from sr60 to gs1000.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #31,457 of 65,639

depends where you buy from, i got my RA-1 for wayy less than they cost new, and less than a CMOY.

having said this, i think i can say without the guilt of having paid a crapload of money for something, that the RA-1 sounds very nice with the RS-1 (and RS-2)

Thats great then, because $400.00 is a lot! Is it a clone or Grado?

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #31,459 of 65,639
Last May, I compared the three commonly-used amps for Grado headphones, which are the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Grado RA1, and the JDS C-MOY 2.03 BB, in this post here.

Below is the three- way, 10 feature comparison, using the Grado RS2i as the headphone for all cases:

Hope this helps.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #31,461 of 65,639
Last May, I compared the three commonly-used amps for Grado headphones, which are the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Grado RA1, and the JDS C-MOY 2.03 BB, in this post here.

Below is the three- way, 10 feature comparison, using the Grado RS2i as the headphone for all cases:

Hope this helps.
noob question, the larger the number is, the better the performance is or vice versa?

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #31,462 of 65,639
noob question, the larger the number is, the better the performance is or vice versa?

The higher the number, the better... each row selects the winner (3 points), second place (2 points), and third place (1 point) in performing that particular feature (e.g. transparency).  Ties get a ?.5.   More detail in the post linked at the word "here" at the end of the first sentence.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #31,463 of 65,639

Here's a few more pictures I posted a couple years ago when I first bought these...

If you had to put a price on your RS1, what would it be?

My guess is $1000, am I close?

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #31,464 of 65,639

I agree, after all, the RA1 was ''voiced'' for the RS1. Just like the HPA-1 and HPA-2 were voiced for the HP-1, and HP-2. That doesn't mean that these amps can't do a good job of driving other models of Grado.

Regarding the C-moy amps. I have often read that the ideal amp would be a straight wire with a gain control. The C-moy's simplistic desing is about as close to a strainght wire with gain, as I've seen.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #31,466 of 65,639
@kayandjohn

I believe a while back you were saying your RS1 or RS1i didn't come with a 15' extension cable. I had to check my RS1i box this afternoon being I thought I had two extension cables, one from my RS1i and another from my recently purchased NOS PS1K, and I was going to sell one. When I first looked in the box I thought maybe I had sold it already, but then looking at the foam insert inside the box, I realized there is no cut out for it, so I guess your right. Sorry for the misinformation...I guess only the GS/PS1K models come with the extension cable, but I really thought my RS1i had came with one as well. :confused_face(1):

I know that my RS1i came with a 15' extension and the female 1/4" to male 1/8" adapter. This was in March 2011.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #31,467 of 65,639

Here's a few more pictures I posted a couple years ago when I first bought these...

If you had to put a price on your RS1, what would it be?

My guess is $1000, am I close?
I would never sell it (at least, I don't think I would ). As far as price, I guess it would depend on the market. I don't really think you can get much more than $1000 for them.

One thing for sure is that it is VERY rare for them to show up for sale, right next to the ps-1 IMO.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #31,468 of 65,639
  The higher the number, the better... each row selects the winner (3 points), second place (2 points), and third place (1 point) in performing that particular feature (e.g. transparency).  Ties get a ?.5.   More detail in the post linked at the word "here" at the end of the first sentence.

thx, this is helpful

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #31,469 of 65,639

Holy schiit. They look like they were never used before you got them...

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #31,470 of 65,639

Holy schiit. They look like they were never used before you got them...
thanks!

They had the (very common) earpads stuck to the wooden cups which I had to get off and they also had one of the gimbals had come off the metal ring holder which I ended gluing back together.

It was a nice score for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back