Grado Fan Club!
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #30,811 of 65,607

Yes, the Lyr2 and Magni will both present the SR325i in all its inherent brightness.  There's a catch 22 here, because to "get the most out of it" you would theoretically want an amp that was neutral, had a very high damping factor, and could deliver the voltage swings.  The problem there is that the SR325i is simply a bright headphone and any amp that does those things will reveal its brightness. The Magni and Lyr2 are both great amps, and they are simply going to deliver what the SR325is is to your ears.  You can play around with a bunch of amps that have various signal path distortions to try to find just the right combination, or you can get a headphone that isn't known as being one of the brightest headphones in the hi-fi headphone world.  You can also EQ.

very good advice

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #30,812 of 65,607

IMHO they are all great headphones. If you expecting a big difference, you will be disappointed. Maybe I needed more time with them than half an hour. I did think that they sounded very close to my RS1i's

That was my dilemma when I was at the shop considering spending $850AUD for something I thought was not that much better than I already had. Maybe I made a mistake!?!

One thing I can say is that these will be a sought after when the last ones get sold.

If was me and I had a choice between the PS500e's and the GH1's I would take the GH1 without question.

Thanks for the info.

What if you had the RS1I and the PS500e's, would you still feel the need for the GH1 as well?
And if so, could you perhaps say the reasons why?

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #30,813 of 65,607

I am sure I have some electrical tape. I think I should try it.

I was left thinking why the tape mod must work. I think it might be because bass and treble frequencies behave differently in terms of how they pass through the environment. If a neighbour playes loud music it is only the bass that we really hear. It's because high frequencies attenuate through the wall material. Maybe the Grado pads are holding the higher frequencies and letting the bass energy out.

I am probably wrong, but hazzarding a guess anyway.

you're pretty close i believe
i'm a little technically challenged, but i'll take a stab at it
it does have to do with air flow. 
the pads are porous , and the foam is of a certain density , which effects the sound, particularly the bass
the tape mod reduces the surface area of the "vent" or "port", 

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #30,814 of 65,607

Thanks for the info.

What if you had the RS1I and the PS500e's, would you still feel the need for the GH1 as well?
And if so, could you perhaps say the reasons why?

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask as I have not spent enough time with either the PS500e or the GH1.

Have you read the review here? http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-gh1/reviews/15160

Maybe drop him a line in the comment section.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #30,815 of 65,607

i'm so in love with her music. so much feeling in her voice, backed by violins and piano.

youtube doesn't do these songs much justice, but alas, that's the best legal means of spreading music.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #30,816 of 65,607
I currently own a pair of Grado 325 Magnum V3. I am pleased with them, love their clarity and crispness. I was at a recent meet in Austin and auditioned a pair of Rs1's and really enjoyed the difference, and more warmth. It was a nice change. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to afford the Rs1, and I had a thought. With my Magnum's I upgraded the leather headband, so I have a spare leather headband, I am thinking of getting a pair of sr225's switching out the headband, purchasing some wood cups and then perhaps putting bowls on them. How close would that be to an Rs1? I am sure it wont be exact, but could it come close? also, which model of 225 would work best?

Thanks,
James

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #30,817 of 65,607
  I currently own a pair of Grado 325 Magnum V3. I am pleased with them, love their clarity and crispness. I was at a recent meet in Austin and auditioned a pair of Rs1's and really enjoyed the difference, and more warmth. It was a nice change. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to afford the Rs1, and I had a thought. With my Magnum's I upgraded the leather headband, so I have a spare leather headband, I am thinking of getting a pair of sr225's switching out the headband, purchasing some wood cups and then perhaps putting bowls on them. How close would that be to an Rs1? I am sure it wont be exact, but could it come close? also, which model of 225 would work best?

Thanks,
James

that may be a good question over at the grado modders thread

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #30,819 of 65,607
  Surprisingly, there's a store not too far from me that has them and other Grados out on display. I've heard the GH1 and was really impressed. Just ordered it yesterday actually, so I'll be doing some testing when they arrive. If I keep the GH1, I'll look into getting the G-cush too.

Good for you, the GH-1 is a real sucess story for Grado, and a no brainer, in it's price range.

I'd go with the GH-1...they are simply brilliant. I would skip the RS1e (a bit of a letdown for me, though newer ones seem promising based on some folks' comments). The PS500/PS500e are pretty good, but the GH-1 is still tops for me. Only the PS1000/PS1000e rank higher for me as Grado headphones.

Actually I prefer the general tonality of the GH-1s over the PS1000/1000e. 

X2

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #30,820 of 65,607
  Maybe I am the wrong person to ask as I have not spent enough time with either the PS500e or the GH1.

Have you read the review here? http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-gh1/reviews/15160

Maybe drop him a line in the comment section.

Yes, I did read that review.

Thanks for your candid and helpful response.

beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #30,821 of 65,607
I also have the GH1 and the PS1000e, and I'm on the other side of the fence, feeling that the PS1000e is one of the greatest headphones of all time, way ahead in refinement, definition, bass control and depth, and musicality vs. the GH1. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #30,823 of 65,607
I feel similarly about my GS1000i - when slightly eq'd to slightly boost their midrange (optional)
they really come into their own - some prefer these to the PS1000 series too, esp. at the price....

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #30,825 of 65,607

Thanks,
James

The closes you'd get to the RS1 is a woodied 325. It'd be really great if you still keep your 325 drivers. If not, the 325e is your best start, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back