Grado Fan Club!
Feb 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #30,796 of 65,626
  i like having a planar, i got it at a pretty good price, and it sounds great with the gustard h10, so every time i get the itch to sell it, i put it own, and think of
how much it would cost to get sound this good again, so, it's still here

beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #30,798 of 65,626
  however to me .... starts to really please the sr225, and is also refining the well well I just have to find a worthy player.

Fiio X5 pairs wonderfully with the Grado sound. Even though they're quirky, Colorfly's players are also pretty solid!

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #30,800 of 65,626

I didn't know.
And if you've had them for 5 month, you must really like them! 
biggrin.gif

i like having a planar, i got it at a pretty good price, and it sounds great with the gustard h10, so every time i get the itch to sell it, i put it own, and think of
how much it would cost to get sound this good again, so, it's still here

beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #30,801 of 65,626

I actually have the PS500e that i just received today. Thinking about taking to a place that has the GH1 on demo to test them out. It's a big purchase so i want to make sure I get the right one. I'm happy with the 500's, but not completely happy. I feel like it's missing something.

Congrats on the PS500e. I don't want to burst your bubble, but you might have a tough time finding a pair of GH-1 to demo.

I've never heard the PS500e, but I have heard the PS500, and in my opinion, with the stock earpads, the GH-1 sound a bit like the PS500.

I prefer the GH-1, because I  find that they're better balanced. By that I mean that the GH-1 has a bit less bass, and they have a bit more treble. 

In other words, the GH-1 are not as bass biased as the PS500.

With the G-cush, I think that the GH-1 sounds even more balanced. They manage to retain their good bass extension, and they gain some treble extension, and the soundstage is also bigger.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #30,802 of 65,626

I chose my RS1i over the PS500e when I bought it. I went this weekend with the intention of buying the GH1 and I had my RS1i to do a side by side comparison.

My Preference was RS1>GH1>PS500e

I walked out the shop with nothing.
rolleyes.gif
Man my RS1i's are good!

The GH1 was very good and the bass was slightly more pronounced than the RS1i, but the RS1i was just more refined and smoother.

I actually have the PS500e that i just received today. Thinking about taking to a place that has the GH1 on demo to test them out. It's a big purchase so i want to make sure I get the right one. I'm happy with the 500's, but not completely happy. I feel like it's missing something.

What type of amp are you using : tube, SS ?  What type of music do you mostly listen to ?  Have you tried the PS500e w/ G cushs ?  

In my case : 1-) I use my PS500e w/ G cushs which not only slightly improves the overall sound but also makes the HP more comfortable/stable; 2-) I own the Benchmark DAC1 HDR/HPA2 (DAC/AMP) of which the amp part is SS & I truly enjoy the overall balanced sound of this combination; 3-) I mostly listen to Classic Rock, Soft Rock & Blues.  Some of the music I listen to e.g. Steely Dan is/was amongst the best produced recorded music so that is another factor to consider.  I did own the GH-1 & found the PS500e more detailed & better balanced.  I had the occasion to listen to both w/ SS & tube (MAD ear+ HD) & after a while sold the GH-1 & kept the PS500e w/ no regrets.  

BTW plse also keep in mind that I'm only sharing my view/opinion on the PS500e so that it may help you out & certainly not to influence whatever decision you make nor am I putting the GH-1 down.  Hope I was able to help. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #30,803 of 65,626

Congrats on the PS500e. I don't want to burst your bubble, but you might have a tough time finding a pair of GH-1 to demo.

I've never heard the PS500e, but I have heard the PS500, and in my opinion, with the stock earpads, the GH-1 sound a bit like the PS500.

I prefer the GH-1, because I  find that they're better balanced. By that I mean that the GH-1 has a bit less bass, and they have a bit more treble. 

In other words, the GH-1 are not as bass biased as the PS500.

With the G-cush, I think that the GH-1 sounds even more balanced. They manage to retain their good bass extension, and they gain some treble extension, and the soundstage is also bigger.

Surprisingly, there's a store not too far from me that has them and other Grados out on display. I've heard the GH1 and was really impressed. Just ordered it yesterday actually, so I'll be doing some testing when they arrive. If I keep the GH1, I'll look into getting the G-cush too.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #30,804 of 65,626

What type of amp are you using : tube, SS ?  What type of music do you mostly listen to ?  Have you tried the PS500e w/ G cushs ?  

In my case : 1-) I use my PS500e w/ G cushs which not only slightly improves the overall sound but also makes the HP more comfortable/stable; 2-) I own the Benchmark DAC1 HDR/HPA2 (DAC/AMP) of which the amp part is SS & I truly enjoy the overall balanced sound of this combination; 3-) I mostly listen to Classic Rock, Soft Rock & Blues.  Some of the music I listen to e.g. Steely Dan is/was amongst the best produced recorded music so that is another factor to consider.  I did own the GH-1 & found the PS500e more detailed & better balanced.  I had the occasion to listen to both w/ SS & tube (MAD ear+ HD) & after a while sold the GH-1 & kept the PS500e w/ no regrets.  

BTW plse also keep in mind that I'm only sharing my view/opinion on the PS500e so that it may help you out & certainly not to influence whatever decision you make nor am I putting the GH-1 down.  Hope I was able to help. 
popcorn.gif

I'm currently ampless right now, so that's something I will have to consider. I do enjoy the Grados even more because they can sound pretty good unamped. I listen to lots of different types of music from Jazz to Classic Rock. I'm hoping for just a bit more midrange in the GH1. Thanks for taking the time to write out your opinion. I hope to do my own comparison soon and see if I will make the same decision. I appreciate it.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #30,805 of 65,626
  Anyone have experience with the ps500e and GH1? I'm very torn between the two. I've heard the RS2e recently and really like them, but the supposed extra warmth from the ps500e sounds very appealing to me. With the GH1 being only $50 more than the ps500e, I'm wondering if I should get those instead? 

I'd go with the GH-1...they are simply brilliant. I would skip the RS1e (a bit of a letdown for me, though newer ones seem promising based on some folks' comments). The PS500/PS500e are pretty good, but the GH-1 is still tops for me. Only the PS1000/PS1000e rank higher for me as Grado headphones.

Actually I prefer the general tonality of the GH-1s over the PS1000/1000e. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #30,806 of 65,626

I'd go with the GH-1...they are simply brilliant. I would skip the RS1e (a bit of a letdown for me, though newer ones seem promising based on some folks' comments). The PS500/PS500e are pretty good, but the GH-1 is still tops for me. Only the PS1000/PS1000e rank higher for me as Grado headphones.

How would you compare the GH-1 to your other headphones?  They're all very different price-points, but I'd love to hear your rankings in order.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #30,807 of 65,626

Agreed!

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #30,808 of 65,626
  How would you compare the GH-1 to your other headphones?  They're all very different price-points, but I'd love to hear your rankings in order.

My SR-009s are still my favourites. The GH-1s are very special headphones and worth holding on to!!!

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #30,810 of 65,626
  if you don't apply the tape tightly, you're just covering, not supporting, repairing the earpad, you shouldn't have issues
to be honest, the pads felt the same to me taped, or not

I am sure I have some electrical tape. I think I should try it.

I was left thinking why the tape mod must work. I think it might be because bass and treble frequencies behave differently in terms of how they pass through the environment. If a neighbour playes loud music it is only the bass that we really hear. It's because high frequencies attenuate through the wall material. Maybe the Grado pads are holding the higher frequencies and letting the bass energy out.

I am probably wrong, but hazzarding a guess anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back