Grado Fan Club!
Feb 16, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #30,781 of 65,607
  I mean - why dont I buy a beyer if i want something bright and wide.
Intimacy is the only reason for me to buy a grado.

not saying you're right or wrong, just found that the first go-to criticism of Grado Prestige Series headphones got flipped on its head to be funny.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #30,782 of 65,607
Yes, the Lyr2 and Magni will both present the SR325i in all its inherent brightness.  There's a catch 22 here, because to "get the most out of it" you would theoretically want an amp that was neutral, had a very high damping factor, and could deliver the voltage swings.  The problem there is that the SR325i is simply a bright headphone and any amp that does those things will reveal its brightness. The Magni and Lyr2 are both great amps, and they are simply going to deliver what the SR325is is to your ears.  You can play around with a bunch of amps that have various signal path distortions to try to find just the right combination, or you can get a headphone that isn't known as being one of the brightest headphones in the hi-fi headphone world.  You can also EQ.

This. Why buy a static eq (non-neutral amp) when you have a free dynamic software eq already?

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #30,784 of 65,607

jaywillin - Do you use your Grados for listening to the Grateful Dead or find other headphones are better for that music?

it depends really, some songs grado's are better, the more uptempo, or rocking songs, acoustic dead , jerry and david grisman, all killer
some other stuff, i like a larger sounding headphone, right now i have the he500, 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #30,785 of 65,607
  it depends really, some songs grado's are better, the more uptempo, or rocking songs, acoustic dead , jerry and david grisman, all killer
some other stuff, i like a larger sounding headphone, right now i have the he500, 

Didn't know you had the HE-500…did you just get them? The last HP I remember you getting recently was the RS2.
How do you like the HE-500?

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #30,787 of 65,607
  Didn't know you had the HE-500…did you just get them? The last HP I remember you getting recently was the RS2.
How do you like the HE-500?

i've had the he500 for a while now, well, a while for me, maybe 5 months or so

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #30,788 of 65,607
  i've had the he500 for a while now, well, a while for me, maybe 5 months or so

I didn't know.
And if you've had them for 5 month, you must really like them! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #30,789 of 65,607
Anyone have experience with the ps500e and GH1? I'm very torn between the two. I've heard the RS2e recently and really like them, but the supposed extra warmth from the ps500e sounds very appealing to me. With the GH1 being only $50 more than the ps500e, I'm wondering if I should get those instead? 

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #30,790 of 65,607
  Anyone have experience with the ps500e and GH1? I'm very torn between the two. I've heard the RS2e recently and really like them, but the supposed extra warmth from the ps500e sounds very appealing to me. With the GH1 being only $50 more than the ps500e, I'm wondering if I should get those instead? 

I chose my RS1i over the PS500e when I bought it. I went this weekend with the intention of buying the GH1 and I had my RS1i to do a side by side comparison.

My Preference was RS1>GH1>PS500e

I walked out the shop with nothing.
rolleyes.gif
Man my RS1i's are good!

The GH1 was very good and the bass was slightly more pronounced than the RS1i, but the RS1i was just more refined and smoother.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #30,791 of 65,607

Go for the GH-1 and some Grado (G) cushions, if you don't like the (G) cushions, leave the (L) cushions on, or you might just like them either way for different Genres and now you have 2 HP's! IMO the (G) cushions bring the GH-1 to another level! I feel the RS1i/GH-1wG/PS1Kx are all top notch sounding HP's in their own ways…regardless of their price differences. Unfortunately I've never heard the PS-500x so can't comment.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #30,792 of 65,607
   I chose my RS1i over the PS500e when I bought it. I went this weekend with the intention of buying the GH1 and I had my RS1i to do a side by side comparison.

My Preference was RS1>GH1>PS500e

I walked out the shop with nothing.
rolleyes.gif
Man my RS1i's are good!

The GH1 was very good and the bass was slightly more pronounced than the RS1i, but the RS1i was just more refined and smoother.

I actually have the PS500e that i just received today. Thinking about taking to a place that has the GH1 on demo to test them out. It's a big purchase so i want to make sure I get the right one. I'm happy with the 500's, but not completely happy. I feel like it's missing something.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #30,794 of 65,607

I actually have the PS500e that i just received today. Thinking about taking to a place that has the GH1 on demo to test them out. It's a big purchase so i want to make sure I get the right one. I'm happy with the 500's, but not completely happy. I feel like it's missing something.

IMHO they are all great headphones. If you expecting a big difference, you will be disappointed. Maybe I needed more time with them than half an hour. I did think that they sounded very close to my RS1i's

That was my dilemma when I was at the shop considering spending $850AUD for something I thought was not that much better than I already had. Maybe I made a mistake!?!

One thing I can say is that these will be a sought after when the last ones get sold.

If was me and I had a choice between the PS500e's and the GH1's I would take the GH1 without question.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #30,795 of 65,607
  I didn't know.
And if you've had them for 5 month, you must really like them! 
biggrin.gif

i like having a planar, i got it at a pretty good price, and it sounds great with the gustard h10, so every time i get the itch to sell it, i put it own, and think of
how much it would cost to get sound this good again, so, it's still here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back